Sign in to follow this  
Airbus A340 Pilot

CPU load normal during scenario startup, but too low when in

Hello Avsim friends,

I have a very weird problem I just can´t find any fix for but maybe some in here know, what you can do to change the behavior of my PC and P3D V5. 

So some time ago I performed a successful BIOS update (MSI MEG X570 Unify), everything works find apart from my P3D V5. Before the BIOS update, I had an average CPU usage of about 50% (Ryzen 9 5900X) throughout my session. Now, I only get such CPU load during the time where the screen shows the scenario loading bar. Once I actually get into the scenario, my CPU usage drops down to about 10%, often less, resulting in much lower FPS, barely flyable. I´ve tried projectlasso and TaskManager Affinity itself, but I don´t seem to be able to find the solution for the problem. Do you know how I can go back up to roughly 50% CPU load during the time in the scenario itself? Nothing has changed, P3D has the exact same settings, I also tried uninstalling the sim, deleting shader cache etc. getting back all my settings but none of that worked. 

Thank you in advance. 

Best regards,

Daniel 

Daniel Reber

Have you looked in your BIOS and see what your CPU preference is set at?. low usage or maybe game mode? Windows has a setting where you can also set in game mode which throttles up CPU when needed. I'm also assuming you're using WIN10 also.

Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

17 hours ago, Airbus A340 Pilot said:

Hello Avsim friends,

I have a very weird problem I just can´t find any fix for but maybe some in here know, what you can do to change the behavior of my PC and P3D V5. 

So some time ago I performed a successful BIOS update (MSI MEG X570 Unify), everything works find apart from my P3D V5. Before the BIOS update, I had an average CPU usage of about 50% (Ryzen 9 5900X) throughout my session. Now, I only get such CPU load during the time where the screen shows the scenario loading bar. Once I actually get into the scenario, my CPU usage drops down to about 10%, often less, resulting in much lower FPS, barely flyable. I´ve tried projectlasso and TaskManager Affinity itself, but I don´t seem to be able to find the solution for the problem. Do you know how I can go back up to roughly 50% CPU load during the time in the scenario itself? Nothing has changed, P3D has the exact same settings, I also tried uninstalling the sim, deleting shader cache etc. getting back all my settings but none of that worked. 

Thank you in advance. 

Best regards,

Daniel 

After BIOS flash did you reenable XMP profile 1 and other settings? 

On 9/25/2021 at 7:24 AM, 40track said:

After BIOS flash did you reenable XMP profile 1 and other settings? 

Yes, I loaded optimized defaults and activated XMP afterwards. I can´t remember anything else in terms of settings. Should be all fine, just like it was before. 

• Like 1

Daniel Reber

On 9/24/2021 at 11:11 PM, Bigmack said:

Have you looked in your BIOS and see what your CPU preference is set at?. low usage or maybe game mode? Windows has a setting where you can also set in game mode which throttles up CPU when needed. I'm also assuming you're using WIN10 also.

Bill M

Where in the MSI BIOS can I set the CPU preference and to what should I set it? Game mode is disabled in Windows because I heared people say you should keep it off anyways, whatever game you´re in. And yes, I´m using WIN10.

Daniel Reber

Certainly game mode off for P3D , not sure about other " games" !

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !

Any further ideas?

My CPU is running at about 4.50GHz, while the base clock is 3.70GHz. I´ve just tried again to add AffinityMask, using Hyperthreading. 

You can clearly hear the noise of the coolers go down shortly after the scenario has loaded. Also tried without sound but everything is still the same without it.  

Daniel Reber

ssounds like cpu turbo boost

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !

I stumbled upon this issue the other day too. When I would first load into P3D CPU was running at the max clock speed, but throttled itself back down after a few minutes in the sim.

I noticed it was probably going down to about 10% too. One way to overcome this is to change the minimum processor state percentage. You can find this in power options settings.

Go to the old control panel, search by small icons and select 'Power Options'. Change plan settings and then Change advanced power settings. Scroll to Processor power management and change Minimum processor state to 100%.

I revert this back to 5% once I've closed P3D and it's not in use. Bit of a pain to keep changing it every time you open P3D but it seems to work better for my sim.

Hope this helps.

CPU: i7 11700K @ 5.0 Ghz | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3070 | Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z590-F  | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200MHz | Harddrive: 3x Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD | Peripherals: TrackIR 5, Fulcrum One Yoke, Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

On my system using hyperthreading limits both CPU and GPU performance.  Just something you could try is turning it off.  Maybe something changed in your updated bios that causes p3d to not perform as well.  Grasping at straws.on this. 

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW