Sign in to follow this  
akita

Xplane Next Generation (FSexpo)

5 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Clouds look ‘ok’. But that runway looks stunning. I wonder if the wheels interact when going through the puddles

Clouds are a bit grainy but it may a matter of some tiny calibrations and settings.

Particles on scenery can be driven by plugins already now, remains to see what comes out of the box but also what is exposed, I don't think there is a reason to not be able to make stuff like water splashes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Would you like me to circle them for you?

yes please. and mark areas especially in and around the cockpit, and in and around wholes in the clouds, caused by shadows form nearby clouds casting shadows on clouds nearby. even P3D has cloud ground shadows, but "that was not the point".  Unless using raytracing, the light model has to be quite sophisticated to render such effects separately. also xplane12 lightning, not lighting 😊 shows how their global illumination and atmospheric rendering leaves a lot to be desired. should they improve that, again - more power to them!

• Like 2

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Of course you have the hardcore XP fans in here, xplane till I die type. And then the same MsFs till I die fans. I am not sure why the two have to argue. Complete waste of energy. 

This exactly. There seems to be nothing in between, it is either "MSFS is just an inaccurate arcade and people who use MSFS are clueless about aviation" or "X-Plane 12 looks and performs awful with its 4235923 years old engine". Life is not black and white. Here's the fact, I use MSFS (and P3D) because it is the only simulator that promises / provides a realistic (in procedural and aerodynamics realism aspects) DC-6, A320, 747, 777 and MD-80. Similarly I use X-Plane because it is the only simulator that provides a realistic 727-200, 737-200, 737-300, 747-200, 757 and A310. Not every single MSFS user is clueless and not everyone is choosing MSFS for its visuals, I am choosing it for its realism in the simulation aspects it provides with the aircraft I have mentioned before. And no, X-Plane 12 does not look behind either. You can see the multiple scattering sky with accurate colors, proper Mie scattering in clouds, 3D trees, much better airport environment with water puddles and more.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

1 hour ago, GoranM said:

I suppose you haven't seen this yet.

Or this...

A.png

Always happy to throw in more screenshots if you remain unconvinced and want to keep mentioning MSFS in an X-Plane forum.

you mean like your own statements re. MSFS in an xplane forum: "But MSFS does not have PBL (physically based lighting).  "

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 2

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Beyond belief how X-Plane triggers so many people to the point they have to come in here from the MSFS forums and start arguments.  Absolutely beyond belief.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Janov said:

Well, it looks like not everyone is enjoying the new content revealed for XP12:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/x-plane-12-announced/457334

hehehe,  (Maybe the org should take a page from that post and inforce the same. 😉

They are going to be sim specific on topics (all things MSFS.) It too bad they are not open to provide space for other topics, all things flight simulation. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, akita said:

Clouds are a bit grainy but it may a matter of some tiny calibrations and settings.

Grainy? I haven't seen any grain in clouds, so I assume our definitions of grain is different. Are you talking about the blue noise artifact or how high-frequency the detailing noise is? If it is the former (though I don't see it anywhere), do not expect it to disappear as today's hardware is simply too limited for that. Any implementation, be it MSFS or DCS have the same exact issues. If it is the latter, it is indeed just a matter of adjustment of noise frequency.

• Upvote 1

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

10 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Beyond belief how X-Plane triggers so many people to the point they have to come in here from the MSFS forums and start arguments.  Absolutely beyond belief.

Actually that would be a good thing. If that were the cause.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

I just hope that by the time of release, the quality and multitude of autogenous objects and the appearance of the roads will be addressed - it really looks archaic now. 😉

14 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

Grainy? I haven't seen any grain..

You may be right we are both using different meanings.

I feel cloud bases shouls be just a bit flatter, but it is probably still bound to many little changes until they reach a public release.

So gonna beta test; going for a day 1 purchase; etc.

One remaining question mark for me is if there'll be more regionalized autogen for the rest of the world now. What was presented in terms of autogen and objects was still very US-/CA-centric.

• Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I created a thread asking what it would take to win back users who “defected” to MSFS from XP and/or P3D. After watching the presentation, LSD trip and all, I would say this new version should keep the XP faithful happy, and peak the interest of a small percentage of MSFS users who are getting frustrated with the never ending bug fest that is MSFS. I found the sound improvements particularly impressive, and liked the emphasis on a living world. These are important improvements. Still, the ability to fly over your own house and see something resembling it is a feature that XP desperately needs. Realistic scenery of the entire planet is the only real killer feature MSFS has, but to many many people that one feature is enough to switch. 

Still, a solid update for LR.

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Personally, i'll have no problem using both simulators and getting XP12 once it's out (even in beta). I know it's a long run and it will take time. Both simulators deserve our interest imho. Especially considering to what was capable by "older" sim just a few years back.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

It's all a matter of pourpose...

I use X-Plane 11 because of a couple of helicopter add-ons, the Toliss A319 and most surely the upcoming A340, and also the MLADG bf109s, now also the Sparks 744 and the Toliss 738x...

I also use X-Plane because although I recognize the positive aspects of other platforms, at present I still find that it offers a more complete and accurate flight dynamics model and the SDK offers developers many ways to make their skills and dedication shine.

Then I jump into IL-2 more often than into Dcs World because I really enjoy their "ambience" and feel of flight, their dedication to create an historically accurate combat flight simulator.

I sometimes load Aerowinx PSX because it is by far the most complete and probably accurate simulation of a Boeing 747-400 pax or cargo.

And sometimes I even still use my good old ELITE, now on v9, because it was an excellent tool when I studied IFR for the very first time, as a simmer because I never used it IRL and I actually feel and sound totally silly when I try to use rw communications 😕

Speaking of ATC, the fact that its going to get updated for XP12 is really good news !

I take my hat off to all of those who can profit from multi-platform. I would like to be able to do that without any restrictions, and even mor to enjoy and contribute to each platform, like BiologicalNanobot which being an MFS, P3D user is also a XP user and provided us with that realy appealing "Skyscapes" plugin !

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

10 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

Personally, i'll have no problem using both simulators and getting XP12 once it's out (even in beta). I know it's a long run and it will take time. Both simulators deserve our interest imho. Especially considering to what was capable by "older" sim just a few years back.

Absolutely. I would add P3D and DCS to the list...

1. MSFS offers amazing graphics, built-in ortho-scenery and a growing list of quality aircraft;

2. XP11/12 has a more sandbox approach, with quality add-ons, including some older aircraft that I love like the 727 and the 737-200/300;

3. P3D offers top-of-the line tube-liners that, someday, will be available in MSFS (could ditch it once that happens);

4. DCS delivers unmatched combat simulation and high-fidelity modules. Having flown the Heatblur F14 extensively, I am sure that XP12's model will not be comparable.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus