Sign in to follow this  
Benbo

Shall i switch to P3Dv5.

Hi Guys,

Lookng for a little advice from people that have switched to P3Dv5 from P3Dv4.5.I was a longtime user of FSXSE before i switched to P3Dv4.5 about a year or so ago,

now am asking myself the next question shall i jump to P3Dv5 despite all the VRAM and device hung error messages.I know my CPU could handle the switch I7 11700K

but am asking questions about my GPU Asus RTX3060 12GB OC.I will just be using the standard HD resolution no 4K textures,so i would like to ask your opinions on if i should

go to P3Dv5 and if i did would i still get the stabilty and performance i currently get in P3Dv4.5.All my sliders are between medium to high.Also if i may ask will all the addons a 

purchased for v4.5 work in v5,payware airports,Orbx,Active sky,PMDG,Aerosoft,QW aircraft.Any advice or knowledge about switching would be greatly appreicated.

With Thanks,

Gary Jones.

I had similar hardware when I switched to V5. I think you'll be fine in that respect.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

Hardware-wise you're fine. The VRAM issues appear resolved. My 1080Ti rarely uses more than 6Gb and that's at 3840*2160.

My only reservation is with these DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG errors that affect some but not all users. It's a lottery whether you get them or not. However, the Registry fix (TdrDelay=0) does appear to prevent them providing you don't pause the sim.

Frame rates are higher than v4. The Enhanced Atmospherics is a personal choice. I've tried it twice but don't like the visuals. Others prefer it. No right or wrong choice. Just what suits you.

All my v4 scenery is fine in v5. You'll find most scenery now has a v5 installer. Just download and install them rather than copy / paste your v4 stuff.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

In terms of switching, based on the number of threads here, while P3D allows component  install, the full installer is the way to go since your coming from v4.5.

For Orbx ; have my add-ons installed in 2 Libraries outside the main sim folder... one for P3Dv4 and one for P3Dv5. I can update them independently via Orbx Centra which is good.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Personally, I don’t recommend it just yet.  The stability of 4.5, combined with the great looking atmosphere and shading provided by PTA & others, just can’t be beat in my book.  I believe they’ll fix the issues upon next release- hope so.  But I’ve experienced the device-hung error while using Orbx true earth (very first flight)…and no time at the present for tweaking and debugging.  Just my 2c.  

• Like 2

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

I didn't switch--I added v5 to my configuration and keep both v4 and v5 in parallel installations. There are still some add-ons that have not been updated for v5, for example a large number of freeware Orbx airports that were never updated to v5 and won't likely be updated in the future due to the author's death.  It's also nice to have a stable v4.5 installation to fall back on while dealing with the occasional growing pains associated with v5 update releases.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks for the advice guys much appreicated,if i do go for v5 is it ok to install it onto the same drive as v4,because unfortunately i only have 1 ssd capable of 

holding both versions,also will Orbx pick up on v5 once it is installed.

Gary.

With the specs of your system PD3v5 will work great. I can run with all sliders to the right. Had to get use t the scenery libery installation(xml programing), but once I learned that it's been a blast. I get great frames and no stutters. As far as Orbx you can map your scenery or libery files to what ever drive you want. I never tried 4.5, I updated from v3, but the 64 bit architecture and VAS improvements really makes the most difference in my opinion.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

I put it off until just recently. Just finishing it up the past few weeks. Just as much "stuff" as you listed. It went much smoother than I thought it would. Time consuming. A bit of time, but got through without major hangups.

I like it. Pleased I did it.

Edited by Radial9

The performance improvement and smoothness alone makes the upgrade worthwhile.

• Upvote 2

Vic green

P3Dv5.2 is smooth and stable for me.

The few ctd's I had were I think, due to wanting to push the sliders way too far considering my already old configuration.
I have v4.5 and v5.2 in parallel. Since the installation of the latter I have not launched once the 4.5. I am about to delete it although the PMDG DC6 is still not compatible with 5.2.

Richard.

• Upvote 1

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

58 minutes ago, DrumsArt said:

P3Dv5.2 is smooth and stable for me.

The few ctd's I had were I think, due to wanting to push the sliders way too far considering my already old configuration.
I have v4.5 and v5.2 in parallel. Since the installation of the latter I have not launched once the 4.5. I am about to delete it although the PMDG DC6 is still not compatible with 5.2.

Richard.

Thanks for that Richard,is it ok to install v5 on the same SSD as V4.5 as i dont have another drive large enough to install it on.

Thanks,

Gary.

23 hours ago, Benbo said:

Thanks for the advice guys much appreicated,if i do go for v5 is it ok to install it onto the same drive as v4,because unfortunately i only have 1 ssd capable of 

holding both versions,also will Orbx pick up on v5 once it is installed.

No problem with v4 and v5 on the same drive (in different directories).  Each version maintains a separate set of registry settings and config files, so they don't generally affect one another.  You often can install a (v5-compatible) add-on into v4 and then just create an xml-based entry that points to the v4 installation in your v5 scenery library...saves SSD space not having to double-install those add-ons.  For doing those sorts of things, the Lorby-SI P3D Addon Organizer is your friend.

• Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Interesting that some people are still of the opinion to stay with 4.5, have been wondering the same thing - but have been put off going to p3d5 due to not wanting to purchase the NGXu.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

49 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

Interesting that some people are still of the opinion to stay with 4.5, have been wondering the same thing - but have been put off going to p3d5 due to not wanting to purchase the NGXu.

G

I picked up the NGXu during the sale PMDG did a few months back, I personally find it a lot more enjoyable to fly compared to the old NGX so I'd vouch for it in that respect.

If financial constraints are an issue I do believe a number of people got the old NGX working with v5 without too many problems though I can't remember the relevent thread

(that said I'm still on 4.5 for the time being myself)

Edited by SimeonWilbury

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png