Sign in to follow this  
Benbo

Shall i switch to P3Dv5.

1 hour ago, SimeonWilbury said:

I picked up the NGXu during the sale PMDG did a few months back, I personally find it a lot more enjoyable to fly compared to the old NGX so I'd vouch for it in that respect.

If financial constraints are an issue I do believe a number of people got the old NGX working with v5 without too many problems though I can't remember the relevent thread

(that said I'm still on 4.5 for the time being myself)

I missed the sale, will probably wait and go for the NG3 when that and the freight variant comes out. Just got the 200er for the EFB on the 777f though. Somewhat expensive, but always hated that clipboard......

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

6 hours ago, Benbo said:

Thanks for that Richard,is it ok to install v5 on the same SSD as V4.5 as i dont have another drive large enough to install it on.

Thanks,

Gary.

Yep, no problem...See the Bob Scott (w6kd) post.

Richard.

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I recently switched from P3Dv4.5 to v5.2 and have been pleased. The only downside I’ve come across is there’s no EHAM scenery that’s compatible.  The same for KCLT - ImagineSim considers it a legacy scenery.

Edited by Chuck Dreier

I just installed P3D V.5.2

Out of the Box

I like the new smoother rendering engine(dx12) the ambient lightning is more natural (not as dramatic as V. 4.5)

V.5 Mesh is much better

Much more detailed land classes (better then Orbx SoCal Region)

The interface is upgraded with more intuitive with better tweaks (still legacy overall) 

My concern is with the addons .

Many addons have been made compatible (not upgraded) like Orbx ,where the land class (to my eye) dates back early 2000 and I don`t think they will put any more resources into it ,and move to MSFS 2020 instead (hope I`m wrong) Many aircrafts have (thankfully) just new V.5 installer not much else

MSFS 2020 has taken valuable resources away, too bad for P3D V5 which is still an outstanding highly configurable  learning platform tool  that MSFS 2020 cannot match

Now, what`s your interest ?

Best 

Stef

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel x299 I7 7820  OC @ 4.7 Ghz   Win10 pro 64

Gigabyte gaming 9  Nvidia 1080ti  11GB

Thermaltake level 10 Corsair H1100 h2o cooling

64 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz

Ch Rudder,Yoke,&Stick Itra flightboard 2000

Just installed it, got Active Sky up and running and optimised some of the settings.

First serious flight - one minute I'm over overcast, next no clouds at all (and I'm not flying Concorde), then bang overcast as far as the eye can see. Looks great, but pretty sure it's been 10 years or so since I've had to use "Global" weather??

G

5 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

Just installed it, got Active Sky up and running and optimised some of the settings.

First serious flight - one minute I'm over overcast, next no clouds at all (and I'm not flying Concorde), then bang overcast as far as the eye can see. Looks great, but pretty sure it's been 10 years or so since I've had to use "Global" weather??

G

Are volumetric clouds enabled?

As far as I know right now, Truesky does not have a way to show two different weather systems. Meaning that if you are flying along with AS and there's a thunderstorm in front of you, you won't see it. Then when then weather updates and it says thunderstorm at your location...BAM!

It's currently the biggest drawback to using volumetric clouds. I still keep the option on because they just look so darn good (especially with detailed clouds ticked in AS settings!), but it's nice to know I have the option to go back to 2d clouds and keep EA on because i can't go back to the old lighting system now that I've flown with EA. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, DChockey08 said:

Are volumetric clouds enabled?

As far as I know right now, Truesky does not have a way to show two different weather systems. Meaning that if you are flying along with AS and there's a thunderstorm in front of you, you won't see it. Then when then weather updates and it says thunderstorm at your location...BAM!

It's currently the biggest drawback to using volumetric clouds. I still keep the option on because they just look so darn good (especially with detailed clouds ticked in AS settings!), but it's nice to know I have the option to go back to 2d clouds and keep EA on because i can't go back to the old lighting system now that I've flown with EA. 

I was, didn't realise I could just turn that off - assumed I'd have to lose EA as well, looks horrible without it...

Will have a look without Volumetric Clouds and see. Kind of ironic though to call a product "TrueSky" with a massive limitation like that....

G

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

G

I assume you changed the update intervals(mine are 5 minutes)

Having said that, I`m having fantastic results with Global +weather injector with XP11(not in p3D)

With P3D V5 I`m using Sky force (I used Active Sky for years ,but P3DV5 require an $update )

Sky force  gives you more options how to layer the clouds and how much

I`m living in coastal SoCal where the Pacific Moisture meets the desert heat dead on It`s called the marine layer it`s goes from sunny SoCal to somber gray in less then 200 feet

Today I flew a practice flight in (P3D)from Van Nuys and the cloud cover was about 10k(not your regular marine layer ,which  is about 500 feet, so I headed east to the  (less moisture) and landed  a heavy CRJ 500(Digital Aviation)  near by  Edwards

I noticed too a sudden  shift in cloud cover (just a lingering cloud) But I had the ILS and the runway in sight and in less then 10 Seconds I called the landing 

That`s why P3D is such a fantastic  learning tool

Once you know yours and your aircraft limitations it`s hard to tell from (our)reality 

My Take...

Stef

• Like 1

Intel x299 I7 7820  OC @ 4.7 Ghz   Win10 pro 64

Gigabyte gaming 9  Nvidia 1080ti  11GB

Thermaltake level 10 Corsair H1100 h2o cooling

64 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz

Ch Rudder,Yoke,&Stick Itra flightboard 2000

On 10/7/2021 at 3:39 PM, Gazzareth said:

I was, didn't realise I could just turn that off - assumed I'd have to lose EA as well, looks horrible without it...

Will have a look without Volumetric Clouds and see. Kind of ironic though to call a product "TrueSky" with a massive limitation like that....

Found it much better with volumetric clouds turned off. Doesn't look as nice, but at least it stops the clouds appearing & disappearing.

Definitely liking EA lighting, makes a big difference. The other main one for me is the updated airports, now runways and Navdata seem to agree (for a while at least!)....

G

On 9/25/2021 at 11:17 AM, joby33y said:

Personally, I don’t recommend it just yet.  The stability of 4.5, combined with the great looking atmosphere and shading provided by PTA & others, just can’t be beat in my book.  I believe they’ll fix the issues upon next release- hope so.  But I’ve experienced the device-hung error while using Orbx true earth (very first flight)…and no time at the present for tweaking and debugging.  Just my 2c.  

This is pretty much what prevents me from upgrading. My v4.5 HF2 is so very stable nowadays, full of addons, and mainly with textures and visuals highly customised including via PTA (which AFAIK doesn't exist for v5). In summary I'm quite concerned about upgrading, have A LOT of work reinstalling mostly everything and then come into conclusion that I didn't like the final result, not to mention the possibility of being "chosen" to have all these reported glitches here and there.

I'm still not using FS2020 either (mainly due to the lack of more complex jetliners, AI traffic, etc), and I really have no idea if one day I'm going to upgrade to v5 before moving completely to FS2020.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

I have the exact opposite question - should I downgrade to P3D v4 from P3D v5? I have gotten into P3D last year, so I only have P3D v5. However I have been looking at P3D v4 videos & screenshots and they all look so good, probably thanks to REX Texture Direct and TomatoShade. It is hard to explain, but I like the soft and bright but cold look they have, which reminds me of Vray renders, like in this video:

To make things worse, P3D v5's HDR makes cockpits extremely saturated when EA is off. This is especially obvious with some sky color sets, which stain the entire cockpit blue. Is there a way to replicate the visuals in that video above in P3D v5? If not, do you think P3D v4 visuals are better than P3D v5? If so, is it worth the downgrade? How much performance am I going to lose?

Edited by BiologicalNanobot

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

On 10/12/2021 at 12:54 AM, BiologicalNanobot said:

I have the exact opposite question - should I downgrade to P3D v4 from P3D v5? I have gotten into P3D last year, so I only have P3D v5. However I have been looking at P3D v4 videos & screenshots and they all look so good, probably thanks to REX Texture Direct and TomatoShade. It is hard to explain, but I like the soft and bright but cold look they have, which reminds me of Vray renders, like in this video:

To make things worse, P3D v5's HDR makes cockpits extremely saturated when EA is off. This is especially obvious with some sky color sets, which stain the entire cockpit blue. Is there a way to replicate the visuals in that video above in P3D v5? If not, do you think P3D v4 visuals are better than P3D v5? If so, is it worth the downgrade? How much performance am I going to lose?

Its not worth the performance hit. REX has V5 installers for skyforce so you can improve things there, but yeah the lighting issue with P3D is my biggest complaint also. I really hope they are working on this for the next release.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

On 10/12/2021 at 2:57 AM, Wanthuyr Filho said:

This is pretty much what prevents me from upgrading. My v4.5 HF2 is so very stable nowadays, full of addons, and mainly with textures and visuals highly customised including via PTA (which AFAIK doesn't exist for v5). In summary I'm quite concerned about upgrading, have A LOT of work reinstalling mostly everything and then come into conclusion that I didn't like the final result, not to mention the possibility of being "chosen" to have all these reported glitches here and there.

I'm still not using FS2020 either (mainly due to the lack of more complex jetliners, AI traffic, etc), and I really have no idea if one day I'm going to upgrade to v5 before moving completely to FS2020.

If you are perfectly happy with v4, then there is no reason to upgrade. I uninstalled v4 several months ago (because of flight simulation burn out), but I am considering reinstalling it again. One thing that I will not be doing is switching to v5, because that would involve more money and more hassle.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png