Sign in to follow this  
Yogipriester

Crash to re-boot.

Hopefully I am correct in this CTD forum as my PC does not crash to desktop but rather shows the Blue Screen for a fraction of a second and then goes straight into a reboot.

This is what happens: I start the PC which by the way is solely used for my P3D. As soon as P3D is fully loaded and ready to "fly", the PC without any warning re-boots and then enters into a different "login screen" showing a beach from inside a cave. From now on the PC behaves perfect without the slightest problem.

The Event Viewer does not indicate any error apart from telling me that the system has restarted after closed unexpecteldy. A number of programmes I then installed to tell me more about this "Blues Screen of Death" also did not tell me anything. Apparently this error is going so fast that the system does not have the time to store any information into any dumpfile.

At first I thought this has something to to with my P3D, as for example on a couple of occasions a GSX .ini was corrupted during the crash resultung in an error message when later re-starting P3D.

So I installed other programmes that would test and stress the PC. Also they made my PC crash like P3D did. With OCCT v 9.1.2 it takes about 10 seconds in the test modes of CPU and Linmark. When just testing RAM memory or VRAM nothing happens and all is fine Also stressing the system with CPU-Z for example results in a re-boot but it takes some seconds longer.

Since not having any dumpfiles available or any hints from the Event Viewer I am puzzled as to what happens in my desktop and I would appreciate help.

My specs are as follows:

Win 10 64  (up to date)

MSI MPG X570 motherboard

32 GB RAM Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

RX 6900 XT

2TB  Corsair MP600 Core

Edited by Yogipriester

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

1 hour ago, Yogipriester said:

The Event Viewer does not indicate any error apart from telling me that the system has restarted after closed unexpecteldy.

Also check Control Panel, Security and Maintenance, Maintenance, View Reliability History and see what it is reporting.  It shows day-by-day from L to R.  Click on any red circles with x's.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks for the reply Frank. However I have problems finding that section as I am using the German version of W10 which seems to be a bit different.

Could you posssibly tell me the name of that .exe file involved? I am asking since the German version appears keeping the English names of exe and dll files.

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

Think I found it after looking at the English version of W10.

Yes, it shows a graph with the critical events that occured during the last days. Unfortunately in my case it only says "Windows was not closed properly" (my translation) and under details "Das System wurde zuvor am ‎27.‎09.‎2021 um 13:58:48 unerwartet heruntergefahren." meaning that the system was unexpectedly closed at soandso time.

This is what I had noticed earlier 😎 and does not help at all.😟

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

Even with the latest BIOS recently installed that strange fault remains. My bypass strategy is to start the PC, running OCCT stresstest for a few seconds until the system reboots unceremounously.

After that I load P3D and everything is ok for hours.

However, it is itching me, I want to know what is going on and forget about my unprofessional bypass!

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

Blue screen errors are generally hardware or driver related.  Given that the PC is rebooting itself, I'd initially suspect power supply issues (bad/weak PSU, overloading) or an unstable overclock.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Yes, in principal I do agree with you Bob. But in my case it is a 1200W powersupply and I monitored the voltages as well as currents. All seems to be ok. I also suspected that "cold" temperatures of certain components might be responsible. So I will carry the PC in winter when it is creally old to the outside and see what happens there.

It always happens after a new start of the PC and then applying full load, either by P3D or any programmes that do a stresstest on the system. As I said, after the (meanwhile expected) crash and consequent reboot everything is fine for hours as if nothing has happened.

If I would have the possibility I would replace one component after the other until I find the culprit. Perhaps I should start playing lotto 😅

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN