Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

fsx problem after defraging hard drive.

Guest kingsnake11

I defraged my hard drive with fsx on it and now, fsx no longer works, just hangs and fails to respond, leaving the startup screen. I have to then use task manager to end the program. Everything was working fine until the defrag.Has anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions other than a re-install?thanksRev. G Stunada

Rev.running the DVD setup should give you two options:removeREPAIRI believe I'd be giving the "repair" option the opportunity to work a small miracle before thinking of remove and reinstall.Loyd

Hey Kingsnake, Rafale21 here. Did you use windows defrag on it, or O&O? I'd recommend getting O&O, free trial version is available on their site, and defragging your FSX drive using the "Complete/NAME" method. Give it a few hours to complete and hopefully that will cure it. Failing that, as the previous poster said, doing the repair with the original disc is the only option aside from a reinstall.I've had cases where FSX won't run past the loading screen if the drive gets too fragmented, so worth a shot. Windows defrag is all but useless.Good luck man.Mike

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

>I defraged my hard drive with fsx on it and now, fsx no>longer works, just hangs and fails to respond, leaving the>startup screen. I have to then use task manager to end the>program. Everything was working fine until the defrag.>>Has anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions other>than a re-install?>>thanks>>Rev. G Stunada Check that your logbook.bin file is not corrupted.This will cause FSX to hang on the splash screen.Find logbook.bin and rename it and try to start FSXagain. If it starts, then the logbook was corrupted. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest kingsnake11

Thanks to all the repliers for the suggestions. I use the Roxio defragger and haven't had issues in the past with it but I'll certainly try the O&O one. Thanks Rafale for the tip.I'll try the repair option too before doing a re-install.The problem still remained with the logbook.bin suggestion so I do believe that the logbook is not the problem.Thanks again for the quick responses and help!Rev. G. Stunada

You may want to run "chkdsk /f" also. Assuming you are using WindowsXP, look in "Accessories" menu for "Command Prompt". Type in "chkdsk /f" and answer that you want to run the check disk fix program on next re-boot. You may have something messed up in the NTFS.Flt300Z

"Windows defrag is all but useless."Agreed! Not only will it occasionaly screw up "pieces" of the FS - it will do the same for any program - but most serious is it's ability to kill Windows completely. Purchase O&O or Diskeeper (there's another good one that will optimize your file system out there, too, but I can't remember what it's called, offhand), and run them in the background, so that they defrag on the fly. It will keep your system up to it's fastest speed. We use our pc's all the time, and most of us have spent a coupla thou to have a system which will run flight sim "as real as it gets" - and if you have a good sim setup - it's a HUGE agravation to have to rebuild the whole system to fix something which could have been avoided by spending 30 or forty bucks for a safety net. Same with a good registry cleaner, 'coz the windows registry is SO error-prone. I now run Registry Helper occasionaly just for peace of mind, but always after any file changes or deletions.Hope this helps.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest kingsnake11

Thank you to all poster with the great and helpful suggestions. I am very greatfull to all the help. Using O&O and rebuilding the log file did the trick. Flying again :-)Rev. G. Stunada

Just as a point of order in this thread....Windows defrag is all but useless - Not only will it occasionaly screw up "pieces" of the FS - it will do the same for any program - but most serious is it's ability to kill Windows completely.O&O, UltimateDefrag, Diskeeper...All the 3rd party defraggers use the same Windows file movement APIs to control the defragmentation process - only their algorithms and file placement directions change. This means that all defragmenters have the same risk in operation. This is not a blessing of the XP-included tool - without question 3rd party defraggers do a MUCH better job and place files in FAR better locations, but the Windows-included defragment tool is no more or no less dangerous than any of the others. Just wanted to point this out because if someone has stability issues with the Windows defraggers, they very well may run into the same issues with a 3rd party. Hardware (drive/controller) issues may be rearing their heads... Cheers!-Greghttp://www.oo-software.com/home/en/support...odefrag/#toc_17http://support.diskeeper.com/support/diske...d=1&CId=1&SId=5

Yup, all defraggers are equally safe/unsafe since almost all of them use the same API, as explained above.Defragging should generally be extremely safe. The engine is supposed to make a copy of the original file before moving it. If defragging causes file corruption, you really need to check your system for stability issues. Use a RAM tester and make sure you have the latest chipset drivers, plus check for any known data corruption issues with your particular chipset/IDE controller or even mainboard.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I'll be darned! I didn't know that, and here I was thinking how smart I was! I'm never going to understand computers!Thanks Greg.:-beerchugpj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.