Sign in to follow this  
ejoiner

A400M

Just from what I've read it's clear that the US military is looking to replace the C130's in the 2012-2014 timeframe. Who knows if they are seriously looking at the A400M (it won't fly until 2008)but there are also other concerns. Even if the US military stays with the C130, or another LockMartin variant, much of the rest of world has already agreed to shift to the A400M. That alone is going to have a major impact on the Marietta facility and puts into question the viability of the C130 program just based on the decrease in production numbers and the corresponding increase in the cost per unit. I'm up here in Alpharetta and I'm pulling for LockMartin also, but right now I don't think the chances of the C130 reaching it's 60th year of production are better than 50-50.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest jboweruk

I think it's a wait and see thing. Something will be needed to replace the Hercules, as beautiful as she is and like the Dakota before her she will reach the end of her useful life as a military transport.I think in the modern climate things will change greatly, and from what we see the A400M iwill be a very modern and very capable bird. And what's wrong with a bit of healthy competition, surely it's up to Lockheed Martin to come up with the goods if they don't want to lose out, and with no announcements from them of course people are looking ahead rather than be left without a replacement.

Agreed Doug, but the C-130J has little in common with the Herc's of Vietnam era etc. Pretty much a totally new plane except for the shape.So while the form factor is 60 years old, the capability is not. In any case, was just a question.Im assuming whatever the USAF does, it will be american made, though possibly under license. Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

John Im all for competition... but those jobs are important for our community and economy. Seems America has sent most of its manufacturing capability elsewhere. Nice to see at least one industry where the bulk of the work is done here. Im sure Europeans feel the same way about Airbus.Eric

Guest jboweruk

>John Im all for competition... but those jobs are important>for our community and economy. Seems America has sent most>of its manufacturing capability elsewhere. Nice to see at>least one industry where the bulk of the work is done here. >Im sure Europeans feel the same way about Airbus.>>EricSo was Fords at Dagenham, but they shut that down without so much as a by your leave when it suited them. World economy my friend, live with it or die without it. Every country in the Western hemisphere is outsourcing now, that's the future, our labour force is too expensive for them. Soon the Aircraft industry will be all we have left as all the automotive firms are heading to Indonesia etc. I used to work for a large Military comms. firm in my home town, but nobody made any fuss over that when we all got made redundant after the cold war ended.No such thing as a job for life anymore mate.

Guest jboweruk

Probably will, it will probably be built at the old C130 plant even if it's a licensed Airbus. Remember the Mustang was useless till they put a license built Rolls Royce Merlin engine in there, then it became one of the most successful fighters of WWII. We all need each other, no one country now has the money for these things, America may think she does but it's not like that, we can't go it alone anymore, simply not viable.

surely it's up to Lockheed Martin to come up with the goodsToday this no longer works - the development costs of a new aircraft are simply too much for a company to absorb without firm orders - or government support to cover the loss should the aircraft not sell as expected.The C-130J program has really hurt Lockheed.

Guest BryUK

>>After the stupid tactics of Boeing in the worldwide Air-Tanker-Market the Royal Air Force is about to buy the A330MRTTYou seem a bit behind the times. That decision was made a very long time ago and Boeing were never really in the running because studies showed the 767 tanker would barely offer any operatonal benefit over the VC-10. It'd be good if you wanted a straight replacement. But the A330 made a great demonstation by being able to fly twice as far, yet still remain on station for longer than either the 767 or VC-10. With the rate the RAF fleets keeps getting cut back, an aircraft that can do the job of 2 or 3 aircraft replaces some of the lost capability.HOWEVER, the MoD has been considering pulling out of the A330 and instead buying more used Tristars and converting them to RAF tanker spec. Unles EADS lowers the A330 MRTT price tag.

Military aircraft purchases ARE political decisions.Buying Airbus for the US military would make their entire defense policy subject to approval from Brussels (which effectively means Paris and Berlin, 2 historical enemies).The first time the US were to engage in military action anywhere they'd tell them to stop or face a ban on spare parts and maintenance.If you think that's farfetched, that's exactly what the UK did to Indonesia in 2004 when Indonesia needed their Hawk 200s to operate against violent separatists in Atjeh (a region that has been violently opposed to the central government since the 1920s at least, when the Dutch were fighting there).The C-130J is quite up to data, on a par with what Airbus has planned for the A400M (which is effectively a direct copy of the LM product after all in capabilities and technology).

that "much of the rest of the world" so far is just a few EU countries and maybe one or two export customers for very small numbers.Nothing compared to the hundred or so countries (including EU countries) operating the C130.The C130 may need an update in another decade or so, or even a replacement to make better use of new materials and production techniques. But it's certainly not dead and certainly not inferior to a European pipedream which is a decade behind schedule and billions over budget and still only exists on a computer screen.

Guest hasegawaflight

Is EADS wrong?excerpt"In recent international competitions, the KC-330 family of advanced tankers has been recognized as an optimal solution for meeting next-generation military tanker requirements. The U.K. government has selected the AirTanker industry grouping and its A330 MRTT (Multi-Role Tanker Transport) as the preferred bidder for its Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft requirement, while the Royal Australian Air Force signed a contract to acquire five A330 MRTTs." http://www.airbus.com/en/myairbus/features...30_Alabama.htmlNot I.. EADS... is wrong?O.K. I see 25. June 2005... sorry...But I think, these old Tristar

Just a question, and NOT meant to be political. Does anybody know if the US military is actually considering buying the A400M? I live in north Atlanta, very near Lockheed Martin. This is the Marietta factory that builds the C-130. A govt decision to buy an Airbus military product to replace the C-130 would be a political firestorm at least locally.I have family that used to work for lockheed years ago, and of course love the Herc. However eventually better, more modern equipment is needed. Just wondering if there is any real world news on this. I have seen some repaints in USAF and USCG colors. Just wondering if these are fantasy.Eric

Ford is shutting down the Atlanta Hapeville Plant too. Just the lousy Auto business. I learned a long time ago not to think about permanent jobs. I've had good ones, and I have had to deal with a forced unemployment before too.Thankfully back at the rock pile again now since 2 years ago!Eric