Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Can Addons Linker Fix CTD's? - Possibly!

Something I tried today with some nice results that I'm hoping are not Imaginary.

Within Addon Linker, under the TOOLS dropdown, you will find 2 options relevant to this thread. The options are:

• ModelLib Changer
  • MaterialLibs Changer

These Options were created based on findings from a thread at the MSFS Forums, that can be found here

Synopsis Of The Problem From the Original Thread

I was trying to troubleshoot some scenery conflicts that were causing CTDs yesterday when I noticed something concerning. It seems that a lot of scenery creators are not changing the location of the modelLib.BGL that is output by default for an ArtProj. I wrote a quick python script to scan every layout.json in my airport folder, and out of 170-some add-on airports that I have almost 40 are shipping a file named scenery/global/scenery/modelLib.BGL. This is less than ideal.

For those who don’t understand how the MSFS VFS works, the short version is that when the sim starts it loads all its own files first, then it reads the layout.json of everything in the Community folder in alphabetical order and “stacks” those layouts on top of each other. If ever two packages have files with exactly the same name in exactly the same path whichever one was loaded first does not get its own copy – it gets the other package’s copy.

This is the output from my script just for the path scenery/global/scenery/modelLib.BGL. Each line represents an airport that is trying to put something in that location. There are 38 of these. That means if everything is enabled, 37 of those airports are not going to have that file contain what they want it to contain. Needless to say, that can cause problems.

The poster has created a standalone tool attempting to correct the issue, and functionality building off of that idea was added to Addon Linker

USAGE

1. On the MSFS Addons Linker main screen, load all of your addons into the community folder
  2. You may wish to backup Your community folder before making any changes, just in case!
  3. Once the previous step is complete, move to the tools dropdown, and choose the MaterialLibs Changer or the ModelLib Changer
  4. Click on "Step 1" of the chosen option, and you will be given a list of files with ModelLib.bgl or MaterialLibs conflicts
  5. Click "Step 2" of the chosen option, and the conflicting files will be renamed!

Congtatz! Hopefully this may help some of you experiencing CTD's possibly caused by this issue!

BTiktp.png

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

That's true, but i also use linker to avoid CTDs by enabling just what i need for every flight. It was a moment when having everything enabled rose up the rate of CTDs for me.

• Like 3

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Elias Stassinos - Author of PTTBuddy - Automatic volume control while you fly / play /stream
My FS Photos - My MSFS Settings - i7-8700K / 32GB RAM / Gigabyte 3070 8GB OC / 1440p

Hi,

Thanks HiFlyer!

I did it and I found a lot of possible scenery conflicts.

The tool has corrected them.

Best regards.

• Like 1

I really love this little piece of software, very well done.  

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Thanks for the tip, I found a lot of possible scenery conflicts that are now resolved.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Does the modellib.bgl thing still cause issues? I know the MaterialLibs issue will definitely cause CTDs but I don't think I've ever encountered an issue stemming from the modellib.bgl being the same. Any thoughts? 

Former Child, Current Adult

2 hours ago, liamp51 said:

Does the modellib.bgl thing still cause issues? I know the MaterialLibs issue will definitely cause CTDs but I don't think I've ever encountered an issue stemming from the modellib.bgl being the same. Any thoughts? 

I have no Idea. But using this does not apparently hurt anything, and it just might help, sooooo.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Of course scenery developers should know by now that this is bad practise…

When coming across this, you should drop them ( the dev) a note asking them politely to fix this. The comments sections at flightsim.to have many such requests and devs usually comply quickly.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

This is very very interesting, thanks for sharing. I just got the AOL and so Im a n00b but already I can see just how impressive it is. 

I like every mod activated all the time and over time AOL will have to deal with hundreds of them. I have 86 mods now and so far so good no issues. 

So renaming the conflicting files won't ruin any of the scenery? And should we do this for both Materiallibs and Modellib?

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

22 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

So renaming the conflicting files won't ruin any of the scenery? And should we do this for both Materiallibs and Modellib?

The original poster over at the MSFS forum, and creator of the tool that was eventually incorporated into Addons Linker is Kaosfere from Working Title, so I kind of trust him on this.

His original tool was for the ModelLib, so that one is relevant to his post. The MaterialsLib is optional, depending on if you find conflicts.

• Like 1

Devons rig

I only run a small set of add-ons so no conflicts, but it is nice to know that I do not have any at this point. Will scan after adding new add-ons. Great tool. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

The original poster over at the MSFS forum, and creator of the tool that was eventually incorporated into Addons Linker is Kaosfere from Working Title, so I kind of trust him on this.

His original tool was for the ModelLib, so that one is relevant to his post. The MaterialsLib is optional, depending on if you find conflicts.

Thank you! This could be really useful.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

On 9/27/2021 at 3:57 AM, HiFlyer said:

Something I tried today with some nice results that I'm hoping are not Imaginary.

Within Addon Linker, under the TOOLS dropdown, you will find 2 options relevant to this thread. The options are:

• ModelLib Changer
  • MaterialLibs Changer

These Options were created based on findings from a thread at the MSFS Forums, that can be found here

Synopsis Of The Problem From the Original Thread

The poster has created a standalone tool attempting to correct the issue, and functionality building off of that idea was added to Addon Linker

USAGE

1. On the MSFS Addons Linker main screen, load all of your addons into the community folder
  2. You may wish to backup Your community folder before making any changes, just in case!
  3. Once the previous step is complete, move to the tools dropdown, and choose the MaterialLibs Changer or the ModelLib Changer
  4. Click on "Step 1" of the chosen option, and you will be given a list of files with ModelLib.bgl or MaterialLibs conflicts
  5. Click "Step 2" of the chosen option, and the conflicting files will be renamed!

Congtatz! Hopefully this may help some of you experiencing CTD's possibly caused by this issue!

BTiktp.png

I think this a must for the tips & tricks subforum. You may shorten it a bit but it should be pinned overthere.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).