Sign in to follow this  
CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger

Is turboprop logic fixed?

Ever since I found out that the logic was all wrong for turboprops in MSFS (torque & ITT at altitude mainly), I have been loath to fly turboprops until this was fixed. That's been some time ago and I know they were supposed to address that in the updates since. Have they? Is it not only corrected but also refined well enough that it's enjoyable to fly? I liked the TBM a lot early on, especially with the mod, and I got to thinking it's about time to get back in it.

10 minutes ago, CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger said:

Ever since I found out that the logic was all wrong for turboprops in MSFS (torque & ITT at altitude mainly), I have been loath to fly turboprops until this was fixed. That's been some time ago and I know they were supposed to address that in the updates since. Have they? Is it not only corrected but also refined well enough that it's enjoyable to fly? I liked the TBM a lot early on, especially with the mod, and I got to thinking it's about time to get back in it.

According to Asobo they will take care of it in SU6 + 7 and not only ("several releases")

Slide3.jpg

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Just now, MrFuzzy said:

According to Asobo they will take care of it in SU6 + 7 and not only ("several releases")

Slide3.jpg

Geez, they screwed it up that bad they have to fix it over a few updates, huh?

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll shelve the TBM for a little while longer.

• Like 1

Sim Update 4 & 5 already brought several fixes for the turboprop engine logic, but improving it further is going to be an ongoing process.

The following are the turboprop-specific fixes that came with Sim Update 4, and while Sim Update 5 didn't have detailed patch notes, they said on the latest Q&A that it brought further fixes regarding altitude and speed issues.

• Improved tools to tune prop drag on constant speed & turbo propellers
  • Removed fake and completely wrong ITT simulation when prop is feathered or reverse
  • Fixed reverse thrust problem with propeller (no support of negative beta & induced wind)
  • Added prop lever debug on engines debug page
  • Fixed torque increasing with altitude because of N1 / Corrected N1 confusion in FSX turboprop code
  • Fixed crash bug when scrolling Daher TBM 9300 Flight Plan pag
  • Torque fine adjustment per POH for the Daher TBM 930
  • Updated stability and inertia for the Daher TBM 930
  • Adjusted sea level max torque on the Daher TBM 930
  • Turbine fine tuning: ITT, Torque, Performance, and Fuel Flow on the Daher TBM 930
  • Flight model update for handling on the Daher TBM 930
  • Ground level max torque and torque limiter setting updated. 100% max with inertial separator; 112% max, limited to 109% without inertial separator on the Daher TBM 930
  • Reduced effect of inertial separator from 25% TQ to 12% TQ for the Daher TBM 930
  • Tuned stability and inertia on the Beechcraft King Air 350i
  • Tweaked Idle RPM from 1030 to 1060RPM for the Beechcraft King Air 350i
  • Adjusted max sea level torque on the Beechcraft King Air 350i
  • Tuned Beechcraft King Air 350i turboprop engine: ITT, Torque, Fuel Flow and other minor changes
  • Added ITT debug to engine debug and added density on fuel flow table for turboprop engines on the Beechcraft King Air 350i
  • Fine tuned fuel consumption per the POH at IDLE, 12000ft cruise and 18000ft cruise on the Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX
  • Fixed ITT, Throttle to Torque Ratio, and Garmin color bands for ITT and TRQ on the Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX
  • Pass on stability and inertia on the Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX
  • Fine tuned Fuel Flow per altitude and adjusted sea level max torque on the Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX
  • Turbine Torque fine tuned per POH on the Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX
  • Control surfaces & handling improvements on the Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX
  • Prop lever of the Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX can now be set in feathering range

6 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Sim Update 4 & 5 already brought several fixes for the turboprop engine logic, but improving it further is going to be an ongoing process.

The following are the turboprop-specific fixes that came with Sim Update 4, and while Sim Update 5 didn't have detailed patch notes, they said on the latest Q&A that it brought further fixes regarding altitude and speed issues.

Ah, much appreciated. Seems they've done a lot but some fine-tuning needs to be done.

How did they get this so wrong out of the gate, though? I mean, you'd think they would've had a QC team with actual pilots in those planes that can tell you right from wrong.

1 minute ago, CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger said:

Ah, much appreciated. Seems they've done a lot but some fine-tuning needs to be done.

How did they get this so wrong out of the gate, though? I mean, you'd think they would've had a QC team with actual pilots in those planes that can tell you right from wrong.

They had no experience in turboprop and their initial goal is to get the product out of the door and accessible to everyone. Now they are tweaking all aspect they got wrong.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

9 minutes ago, CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger said:

How did they get this so wrong out of the gate, though?

As far as I'm aware, the turboprop engine logic was just copied over from Flight Simulator X with little to no improvements (which holds true for many parts of the core simulation as well). Replacing all that legacy code is one of the long-term goals and why they brought Working Title on board.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

As far as I'm aware, the turboprop engine logic was just copied over from Flight Simulator X with little to no improvements (which holds true for many parts of the core simulation as well). Replacing all that legacy code is one of the long-term goals and why they brought Working Title on board.

What's Working Title have to do with turboprop, though? I know they're vastly improving the avionics, their NXi is something to behold, but I'm not aware of any flight dynamics tweaking by them (outside of the CJ4, that is).

22 minutes ago, CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger said:

What's Working Title have to do with turboprop, though? I know they're vastly improving the avionics, their NXi is something to behold, but I'm not aware of any flight dynamics tweaking by them (outside of the CJ4, that is).

Yes, the avionics are using lots of legacy code as well (for example the approach flyback bug is caused by an issue with leftover FS9 code, and the root cause was found by Working Title). Hiring them is part of the effort in fixing all these legacy issues, but of course they're not going to do everything.

For day-to-day flying the turboprop logic is perfectly usable ATM. It does need more work, but overall it's just fine. 

• Like 1

Former Child, Current Adult