Sign in to follow this  
dresoccer4

LSGS ILS

Question for you guys - I'm attempting an ILS approach at LSGS Scion Airport in the Swiss Alps but as you can see in the screenshot the ILS beam is going to run me into the ground. 

I'm on APR autopilot with lateral and vertical control enabled and dead center. However I'm going to run into the ground in about 30 seconds. Has anyone else run into this before?

spacer.png

22 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

Question for you guys - I'm attempting an ILS approach at LSGS Scion Airport in the Swiss Alps but as you can see in the screenshot the ILS beam is going to run me into the ground. 

It could be a database bug, but note I think that is an IGS approach, not an ILS approach. An IGS approach is similar to an ILS but due to obstacles (e.g., terrain) does not line you up directly with the runway as does an ILS. Once reaching IGS minimums some degree of maneuvering is required prior to landing.

Al

• Like 1

Just now, ark said:

It could be a database bug, but note I think that is an IGS approach, not an ILS approach. An IGS approach is similar to an ILS but due to obstacles (e.g., terrain) does not line you up directly with the runway as does an ILS. Once reaching IGS minimums some degree of maneuvering is required prior to landing.

Al

I am using the navigraph update so I wonder if that's causing my attempted murder flight

LSGS is an amazing place to come into and requires special training in the RW.  There is no regular ILS into LSGS, but there are different types of Instrument approaches.  It appears you're following the IGS Rwy 25 approach.  This is an Instrument Guidance System approach (known as an LDA or Localizer Directional Aid in the US).  This is used in difficult environments where it's impossible to do a localizer/GS that is aligned with the runway (due to the terrain).

In this instance, the approach is offset about 6 degrees from the actual runway heading and gets you down safely to 4030 ft. (about 2440+ ft. above and about 5.8 miles from the threshold.  At this point you fly visually to the runway, descending and turning to align for your final.

I love coming into this airport (from either side) as you have to plan carefully.  Make sure that any clouds, etc. are above the minimum for these approaches, so that you can make you final approach in visual conditions.  Both sets of approaches will bring you in between some daunting terrain on both sides.

Edited by RandallR
  • Like 1

Randall Rocke

2 minutes ago, RandallR said:

LSGS is an amazing place to come into and requires special training in the RW.  There is no regular ILS into LSGS, but there are different types of Instrument approaches.  It appears you're following the IGS Rwy 25 approach.  This is an Instrument Guidance System approach (known as an LDA or Localizer Directional Aid in the US).  This is used in difficult environments where it's impossible to do a localizer/GS that is aligned with the runway (due to the terrain).

In this instance, the approach is offset about 6 degrees from the actual runway heading and gets you down safely to 4030 ft. (about 2440+ ft. above and about 5.8 miles from the threshold.  At this point you fly visually to the runway, descending and turning to align for your final.

I love coming into this airport (from either side) as you have to plan carefully.  Make sure that the any clouds are above the minimum for these approaches, so that you can make you final approach in visual conditions.  Both sets of approaches will bring you in between some daunting terrain on both sides.

4 minutes ago, ark said:

Al

interesting info! yeah this was all I was using, the information provided in LittleNavMap with the Navigraph update. So thought it was a regular ILS approach (though a little offset).

spacer.png

Interesting - LittleNavMap is using the wrong designation there by including ILS in the heading. They are correct with the designation IGS.

If you have a Navigraph subscription, use their charts.  You'll get a detailed approach plate for the IGS Rwy 25.

• Like 1

Randall Rocke

That IGS approach into R 25 at LSGS is also unusually steep -- about 6 degrees which is about twice as steep as a typical ILS approach.