Sign in to follow this  
Mango

Goose is gone...

The Grumman Goose suddenly disappeared from the aircraft menu in FSX. Its folder is still in the aircraft folder and appears to have the appropriate files. But I suppose one or more of them has become corrupted somehow.Is there a way to install just one aircraft from my FSX CD?Thanks.Dewey

Guest FxF3

I dont thank you can do that any more as you could with FS9.

Yes, that's true. But if a file is changed or corrupted somehow I'm not sure how to get it back.Thanks for the response.Dewey

Ok. Thanks, Bruce.I did try to do a "repair" from the DVD. But all I got was an error message.I appreciate your response.Dewey

Why not just 'System Restore'? Works for me.

Dave Taylor gb.png

I have not yet searched the DVD, but it is likely composed of .cab files, which you can look in. If you don't want to take a quick look at the .cfg file, I would search for the .air file and aircraft.cfg file and pull those off of the DVD. It could also be a problem with the panel or the files in the model directory.You should have the following directories:modelpanelsoundsoundaiand 7 texture directories.Then you should have a Grumman_Goose_G21A.air file and an aircraft.cfg file and a couple of .htm files (the ref and checklist files).In the aircraft.cfg file, it should start with references for each aircraft. If it can't find the model or panel files, it won't show up.So I guess the next question is: Were you mucking around with the files? Do you have any idea what you might have done? That would give you a clue what file you need to find on the DVD.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Actually I wasn't doing anything at all with the files. I was just flying. I decided to select one of the missions that uses the Goose and discovered the Goose wouldn't come up. I went to the aircraft selection menu and it wasn't showing there. I then went to the Sim Objects/Aircraft folder and found that the Goose folder and associated files were still in there. Apparently one or more of those files has gotten corrupted somehow.I tried to do a system restore but that wouldn't work properly, either. It only had a restore point for yesterday, and wouldn't let me look at the calendar for February for some reason.So I guess I'll try to explore the installation CD for the Goose files and try copying some of those over. I have already tried trashing the cfg files and letting the computer build a new one when I launch the game. That didn't help.Thanks for your response anyway.Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I really like that old aircraft and miss having it.Regards,Dewey

If you have plenty of HDD space it would be a good idea to backup the complete (original) FS(X) folder including all other dedicated folders on a separate partition or HDD. This saved my day many times. I even backup modified parts like 'controls'. In case of a crash those can get corrupted as well and you save a lot of time with copy and overwrite instead of setting up everything new or sweeping your DVD for specific files. Well, in about 3 to 4 month i will change to Vista with a fresh FSX install - restoring the sim to it's current glory will take a couple of minutes.Heiko