Sign in to follow this  
captain420

PMS GTN 750 Premium worth it?

16 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I have both the TDS and PMS premium version.  The TDS is more like the real unit, so when flying in the USA I always use it.  When flying in Europe I use the PMS with embedded Navigraph charts.  I use Foreflight EFB on an iPad Mini so all my charts are displayed on the iPad.

I recommend both of them.

That makes sense to me. I fly exclusively with the pms version if I am not using an FMS (like crj etc). But when comparing the premium version of the PMS and the TDS, I see little benefit for me moving over to the TDS at this time. I mix my flights with IFR and VFR but I like using the pms as its in the sim with several planes (especially with mods) but most of mine come included with it (JF arrow, kodiak and 414) already. I like being able to use it in the Virtual cockpit. My approaches I usually just figure out the glide path so I am not too worried about real vnav right now. MSFS is having an issue with this altogether.

So at this point, I am sticking with the PMS version for a while. Especially if they are to implement new features and including a lot more function into several planes. To each their own. This thread is about whether or not the pms version is worth it. For me? The answer is a solid yes.   If the other dev has navigraph everywhere, full vnav function and can be used in all planes......then maybe I'd consider it. Until then, I'm good.

• Like 2

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

31 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I've you ever used the Flight1 or the RealityXP versions of the GTN 750, or the real thing, you'd understand why many simmers are reluctant to go for the PMS version - the differences between the two versions have been discussed many times, so no need to rehash them here.

Btw, this is not to say that the developer of the PMS version isn't doing an outdoing job, he is, and he is very upfront about what his unit can and cannot do. 

For me, it comes down to, well, how can I put it: it's like having dated a super model, and now you have to make do with the local prom queen - you see what I'm saying?

To each their own, I guess. I would rather avoid the pretentious types.😁

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

On 3/20/2022 at 5:01 AM, por930 said:

I have downloaded the free version of the PMS GTN 750, and seems to work very well in the C208. I notice though, the free version does not have access to airways, meaning I have to program in several waypoints to keep the aircraft on track as if it was on the airways.

The subscriptions keep the developer funded for ongoing maintenance, especially as MSFS keeps making changes that need addressing. I guess you just have to gamble on the developer staying in it for several years as well as the buyer living long enough to benefit (i'm mid 70's).

Be great if the dev had a three year plan that says pay subscriptions for three consecutive years, and licence is upgraded to life time...  

I absolutely agree. I have subscripted the PMS for one year (25 Euros) - I would welcome the PMS guys giving me a fair offer after that year to purchase the life time license (i. e. by appreciating the 25 Euros I have allready payed).

Otherwise I would consider switching to TDS - allthough it lacks the same as the former "Trainer"-dependent tools which allways come with an outdated NAV-Database - but seem to be a little more "professional".

3 hours ago, PTI139 said:

I absolutely agree. I have subscripted the PMS for one year (25 Euros) - I would welcome the PMS guys giving me a fair offer after that year to purchase the life time license (i. e. by appreciating the 25 Euros I have allready payed).

Isn’t that what the developer is currently doing? If I remember correctly you have the option to upgrade your subscription to lifetime at the end of your first year. The 25 bucks from your first year are then deducted from the lifetime price, i.e. You pay 50 instead of 75 Euro. This only works for the first year though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

If you ever used the Flight1 or the RealityXP versions of the GTN 750

I have both and used them in P3D. I definitely liked them and used them when I could. However, I did notice that I could not use approach charts in Europe. This is not a deal breaker for me, but certainly a consideration.

Updating the Flight1 or RealityXP database was always behind...so if you do have Navigraph (or wish to purchase), then it would be great to have a way to update the TDS version as well.

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

7 hours ago, PTI139 said:

Otherwise I would consider switching to TDS - allthough it lacks the same as the former "Trainer"-dependent tools which allways come with an outdated NAV-Database - but seem to be a little more "professional".

I purchased a lifetime license for the PMS unit just after it was released - I would highly recommend it.  I always stayed away from the TDS unit because the nav database was out of date - I assumed every flight would throw up missing data. However, I have used it for several months and have yet to find a single issue with the nav data. I use the TDS 750 alongside ForeFlight on the iPad and have yet to see any differences.

I Recommend both the PMS and TDS units.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

9 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Why?

Navigraph has an in-game panel that you can call up to view the charts and overlay the plane on them. (Don't forget to start simlink to do this).

I tried the in-game panel when it first came out.  It didn't work as well as running it as an alt-tab window.  The in-game panel caused a loss of performance and didn't stay on the chart or screen I last used - it would revert to a start position and I would have to re-navigate to the current chart every time.  I found it to be clumsy and poorly-executed, so I went back to the alt-tab method,

Now, Navigraph does excellent work - they may have resolved these issues.?  I'll try it again.

Randall Rocke

Anyone on the beta having issues with the PMS 750. I cannot get it to run on any of the suitable aircraft since the beta started. Downloaded the latest version, but still no go. TDS version on the other hand seems to be working fine.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

17 hours ago, petz_e said:

Isn’t that what the developer is currently doing? If I remember correctly you have the option to upgrade your subscription to lifetime at the end of your first year. The 25 bucks from your first year are then deducted from the lifetime price, i.e. You pay 50 instead of 75 Euro. This only works for the first year though.

Ah, thanks for the hint - I missed to notice that.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:47 PM, Sonosusto said:

Yeah the pms50 premium and Navigraph subscription work nicely together.

It works in Europe as well.

They plan on adding more wtt support as well. The TDS looks great as well but it doesn't add much for me in terms of realism (for me!).

You must be kiddin. I have tried PMS50. The map is terrible. I am missing roads to use in my VFR flights. Making your own waypoints is limited to two point. Whatever I tried, it stops with 2. And the waypoints are nog placed on the right places. I must agree the Navigraph integration is fabulous, but the map resolution is far below what TDS presents. And TDS use the default Garmin navigation.

Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,
Ed Koorevaar

Ok, well I happen to really enjoy the premium features and if the map is the primary reason why you don't like it then I guess it isn't for you. However, if you already have navigraph and the charts app, then this doesn't really matter as navigraph connects to the sim. There is also Pilot2ATC (which I also have) that acts like a map anyway.

To each their own.

I am also on the fence of choosing PMS or TDS (as many might have been)...

I have read through the 6 pages of this thread...

Now I am a little confused...

1.Does TDS have a touch screen in the VC?? If so, why do I read some comment saying that they have to struggle to handle the TDS unit?

2.Because the Navdata of TDS is not up-to-date, would there be some trouble while importing flight plan from SImbrief or LittleNavMap?

3.Does the weather radar of PMS really work because as far as I know there is still some issue of the weather radar due to ASOBO side? (eg. weather radar of PMDG 737 cannot work because of this)

Thanks a lot if someone can clarify my confusion... 

• Upvote 1

Iching Lee from Taiwan

9 minutes ago, divinglyc said:

I am also on the fence of choosing PMS or TDS (as many might have been)...

I have read through the 6 pages of this thread...

1.Does TDS have a touch screen in the VC?? If so, why do I read some comment saying that they have to struggle to handle the TDS unit?

2.Because the Navdata of TDS is not up-to-date, would there be some trouble while importing flight plan from SImbrief or LittleNavMap?

3.Does the weather radar of PMS really work because as far as I know there is still some issue of the weather radar due to ASOBO side? (eg. weather radar of PMDG 737 cannot work because of this)

I've more or less got the same questions as you.

Then I'm thinking is it worth holding off for now incase they go on sale for Black Friday?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

4 hours ago, divinglyc said:

I have about 30hrs of use with it in my 310R and and tell you that yes the radar works, no only the weather but Traffic live and/or AI also works.

I flew into CYSZ few days ago and MSFS2020 had no procedures for it,updated with Navigraph to the latest cycle and the procedures are now there in the sim and in pms50. So Navigraph the simulator, LNM and the GTN are all in sync.

The problem with TDS is that it's about 6-9 months back in cycles and you need to somewhat "constantly" upgrade it and you simply don't know what is and what is not in sync. TDS won't give you weather or Traffic

The other thing I like about the pms50 is that VNAV works and I have the blue line glide path on the main screen. Don't know TDS but TCAS also works on the pms50. Another thing is that I have the pms50 package for the 310R and it gives me the ILS/RNAV glide slope directly on the main map screen.

Ok I paid double but it just works and I get double the features. Overall I'm quite happy with what I got.

VDLEcZh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Who knows what other add-ons will be available in a year. I would just opt for the 1 year and then see what happens. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro