Sign in to follow this  
dobee51

JU-52 Tweet

2 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

How did you manage to turn on autopilot and which model you fly?

Not actual autopilot, just used AI pilot mode menu option and set my destination to one of the other airports. He took off by himself and flew it all right, but kind of low.

Oh, don't want to load the sim up to look: I think it was one of the 1939 variants - the red and black one with Junkers written on the side.

Edited by dobee51

For rudder trim, I adjust the #2 and #3 throttles opposite directions.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

4 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

This is my level flight at the moment 

unknown.png?width=2123&height=1194

What are those yellow handles for  ?  Is there any documentation available at the download package  ?

4 minutes ago, solito said:

What are those yellow handles for  ?

Ejection seat!  😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On the other hand I don't like it. It's half baked product. Suicidal AI, not working autopilot. Really what is a point to have airliner that can't do long haul. Just to fly around airport until your hands got numb? No thanks!

Seems like obvious things are missing. But yeah it cheap and visuals are pretty good.

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

14 minutes ago, solito said:

What are those yellow handles for  ?  Is there any documentation available at the download package  ?

I believe they are connected with some sort of rudder compensation in case of engine failure.

14512744-3509-438a-9e53-d9a22c2129e4-jpe

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Here's a review if anyone is interested. Based on what I've been reading on other sites it seems like they watered down the way the aircraft flies in terms of handling qualities to make it easier for beginners. One one hand I understand that, but on the other hand if an aircraft is "too easy" and doesn't have any sort of learning curve that kind of ruins it for some people.

Wow. Not the plane to be flying in the middle of the night in the pitch dark!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

6 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Perhaps they will learn something from the Steam version, since those are not encrypted, apparently.

All payware marketplace items are encrypted no matter the platform. Freeware isn't.

What Steam doesn't have encrypted are the core files (where the exe and such is stored).

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, alberchico said:

One one hand I understand that, but on the other hand if an aircraft is "too easy" and doesn't have any sort of learning curve that kind of ruins it for some people.

My reaction is that for $14 this is almost a steal. I almost see it as a way to learn a bit of aviation history as much as something to fly around in.

• Like 5

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just out of interest how are people assigning 3 engines to their throttle quadrants? I have an X56 which obviously only has 2 throttle levers which I don’t think I’ve ever actually used separately but have bound separately. 

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

Just out of interest how are people assigning 3 engines to their throttle quadrants? I have an X56 which obviously only has 2 throttle levers which I don’t think I’ve ever actually used separately but have bound separately. 

You can bang all three on Saitek throttle quadrant, that works, but to be honest it's just as easy to have all three on the throttle lever and the mixture lever as is, since the real thing is usually flown with all three throttles simultaneously unless using them to turn on the ground, and for that you can just use the VC lever in the cockpit.

I've been using the CASA 352L manual I have (that's the manual for the Spanish-built version, which is what most airworthy ones actually are rather than Junkers-built ones), and am using that as the basis for my review along with Heinz J Nowarra's book on the Ju52's history, since he was one of the main guys who worked on them in Germany in WW2. That will probably be up tomorrow with a bit of luck, so if you check that out, it will probably help a bit with flying the thing.

As most people have surmised, the two big levers behind the yoke are the rudder trim levers (pull the left handle for left engine failure, pull the right handle for right engine failure) but the engines are actually canted outwards on the wings perpendicular to the leading edge, so there is some automatic compensation for an engine failure anyway. The real aeroplane has more rudder deflection to the right than the left (30.5 degrees left, 31.5 degrees right) to account for effects of the prop. The real thing can't maintain altitude on one engine even though the original Ju52 was a single engined type (the weight of the other two engines put paid to that), but the 52/3m can easily maintain altitude on two. With only one engine, it will descend at between 100 and 300 fpm, depending on payload, so it can be landed safely with two engines out and can usually make it to somewhere suitable to do so providing there is enough altitude to play with.

For those wondering about the elevator position and it appearing to be deflected in flight, this is correct. There are some complex things going on with the control surfaces on the Ju52/3m, with two modes of operation for the surfaces (coupled and uncoupled), in coupled mode, the ailerons droop up to 14 degrees with the flaps, and the elevators are also affected by the flaps too. The flaps automatically retract under air load if they are not retracted manually, but they redeploy to the previously selected position if the airspeed drops below the speed where the load springs are activated. 

For those of you who use Air Hauler with MSFS, it can haul a little bit over 10,000 in cargo (more if you trade off fuel) and it costs 2.7 million to buy it. I'll be boring people with all that stuff in my review lol, as well as the proper speeds and vertical rates to fly it at, plus some history of its development.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 13

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just picked it up! So far I absolutely love it. The Ju-52 has always been one of my all-time favorite aircraft, so this was an instant buy! It's worth noting that by default, the aircraft is EXTREMELy lightly loaded. Like 2 pilots and 50% fuel. This might be why some are saying it feels "too easy" or something. Load it up to a more realistic weight and it feels much larger. I've flown the one in IL-2 quite a bit and the FMs feel very similar!

• Like 1

Former Child, Current Adult

4 hours ago, Fielder said:

Does anybody here read German? These look like AP

spacer.png

Kurs Steuerung  literally translates to "Course Control "  so yes a flight control or autopilot.

German multiengine aircraft of the time used either the earlier pneumatic Askania Lz style units or the relatively new Siemens K4ü electric/hydraulic units. 

This unit seems to be an Askania LZ4 or similar -

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/category/geraetekatalog-2-wk/kurssteuerung/page/4&prev=search&pto=aue

• Designation: main switch for course control
  • Requirement mark: Fl.22505-1
  • Type: Lzs 4
  • Manufacturer: Askania-Werke AG, Berlin
  • Year of construction: 1938
  • Usage: for pneumatic Askania course control
  • Installed in: in multi-engine aircraft models, e.g. Junkers Ju 52 / 3m

Fl.22505-1-Hauptschalter-Kurssteuerung-_

see the article below for details on Askania pneumatic flight controls if you are interested in the technical stuff:

https://sites.ph9.com/RemcoCaspers617/upload/editor/files/Askania Lz12 autopilot.pdf

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 7

We all see that turning the knobs on the gauges and the autopilot affects the flight, but not like we might expect. But no worries, I'm sure Chock will sort the autopilot for us.

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.