Sign in to follow this  
Guest Milamber

Problem with Scenery Library

Guest Milamber

I have FSX Deluxe and I can't add scenery via the Scenery Library settings. I used to be able to but I installed Vista and now it doesn't work. It allows me to browse to the directory I want to add but when I hit OK it doesn't do anything. I have to hit cancel to back out. So to add scenery I have to manually edit the scenery.cfg file which is a pain. Anybody have any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it?Thanks

Guest JoeW

If you are looking in the scenery.cfg in the FSX folder, thats the wrong one. FSX real add on scenery folder is here: C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftFSXYou may now have duplicate sceneries in there. Look at the listing in FSX in the library to see if all your entrys did in fact take.Joe Watsonhttp://home.comcast.net/~raptor67/Joe_W/ce...-florida-01.gif http://home.comcast.net/~raptor67/Joe_W/RaptorX2-160.jpg

Guest Milamber

No..I'm not looking at that one...I know the config is stored in a hidden folder (And it's different under Vista...Not in Documents and Settings)...Besides I said the problem was in the Scenery Library...IE within FSX...I'm pretty sure FSX knows where the correct file is located. The problem is that FSX will not allow me to add or edit the Scenery Library. The only way I can do it is to manually edit the config file (And I am editing the correct file). The question I have is why FSX is behaving this way and how to fix it. As I mentioned above the problem started after install of Vista and re-install of FSX. Just did an uninstall of FSX and deleted all configs, directories, etc. Hopefully a re-install will fix it. Will update after the re-install.

Guest Milamber

Nope....Didn't change anything. I still can't add anything VIA the Scenery Library. What gives?

Guest firehawk44

"Nope....Didn't change anything. I still can't add anything VIA the Scenery Library. What gives?"That's really strange. I have Vista installed and have added several sceneries to FSX via the Scenery Library w/o any problem. What are you trying to add? Is the scenery being added through your Scenery Addon folder or somewhere else on your hard drive? I would also check the scenery folder and make sure all the scenery files are intact. Have you tried removing and then trying to add another scenery addon to see if that works? Hope you can figure out the problem soon.Jim

Guest Milamber

I've tried just about everything I can think of. I just re-installed Vista and FSX...Still the same problem. Thing is I have it installed on a sepparate partition than windows (D:) and under a folder named "Games". I'm wondering if it has something to do with permissions. Administrators and System have Full Control to all sub folders and files so I don't know how there could be a problem with permissions. This problem is so wierd.

Did you ever figure how to solve this problem? I am having the exact same issue. My FSX partition is I:Flight Simulator X. On vista, the c:usersall users actually links to c:program data and under there is ~MicrosoftFSXscenery.cfg. If I edit this scenery.cfg file by hand, it takes. But if I attemp to add scenery via the FSX Scenery Library button & GUI, the OK button to actually add a new scerny layer doesn' work. I too think it's permissions, but I check all the way down to the scenery.cfg file and the administrators group has full-control. I am a memeber of the administrators group and UAC is turned off.Any other ideas?

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Would some kind soul take a moment and test this on their Vista/FSX-SP1 rig?With an administrator-level account, create a "Temp" directory under FSXAddon Scenery and under that, create a "Scenery" directory such as FSXAddon SceneryTempScenery.Then, using FSX -> Settings -> Scenery Library -> Add button, navigate to FSXAddon SceneryTemp directory and attempt to press the "OK" button to add this to the library listing.It is when I attempt to press the "OK" button, that nothing happens.FWIW, my setup has FSX on its own drive under I:Flight Simulator XThanks again, I'd really like to know if it's just my rig or did SP1 posibly break this somehow.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Al, With Vista when you attempt to add an area, if you click on the folder with the addon, it exhibits this behavior. Try to hover your mouse over the top level folder only so that the name appears in the box entitled "Scenery area title:". If you click on that folder, it prevents the scenery library from adding the folder for some reason.In the example you gave, drill down to the addon scenery folder. Hover your mouse over the temp folder and the name will appear in the Scenery area title box. Then click the OK button. Regards,Jim KarnNOTHING is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

EDIT: Never mind, appearently an empty Temp and Scenery folder aren't a valid test. I guess there must be files in them. I went back and removed my newely installed PAI traffic folder and re-added it just fine which is what started this fiasco.Old proverb: Of the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE