Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GoranM

X-Plane 12 announcement keynote

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, rka said:

Yes, people try out MSFS, are annoyed, try out XP and are amazed when they see how far flightsim has advanced in the last decade through XP.

Flightsim will not be held back anymore by dated software such as MSFS. Next level software like XP is in the lead and has always been.

And sarcasm is a 2nd language to me.

Does it bother you THAT much that people prefer X-Plane?  Do you find it impossible that there are people who don't like what you like?

What makes your opinion on X-Plane so superior to others?

Don't take my word for it. Check out reddit or facebook.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Austin has always encouraged the X-Plane community to send him feedback on X-Plane.  Coupled with his own opinions and observations on what's out there, he's grown X-Plane over the years.  He is incredibly loyal to the community that helped build X-Plane to what it is today, and he listened when they wanted more features.  Like a more updated user interface, which was implemented for XP10 or 11 (I forgot which one).  But it went from the very basic UI to a more graphically pleasing one.  

To me, and probably to me alone admittedly, Meyer comes across as pompous, blinkered and arrogant and not some one I would wish to have dinner with. I've long thought that fresh blood at the helm would be a very good thing. But I'm guessing that my opinion should not be spoken aloud.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I actually enjoy XP, I really do. But, to me, the main issue is not even the water or general aesthetics of the sim, but the fact that the it is just not stable enough like MSFS or P3D (again, in my experience).

When starting a flight on XP11 there is, at least, a 25% chance that I will not make it to the end. That leads to me having fear before starting a long planned flight, whereas I don't have this with the other sims.

Hopefully the stability of the platform (coupled with payware aircraft/plugins) will improve with XP12.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: Intel i9 10900k@5.1Ghz@1.265v | Gainward GeForce RTX 3090 Phantom | MSI Gaming Carbon Z490 | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 2TB NVMe | BeQuiet 1000W Platinum | BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX | BeQuiet Pure Loop 360mm | LG OLED 48CX8LC

PC2: Intel i5 10400F | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC | Asrock B560M-ITX | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 1Tb NVMe | Lian Li T150 | Noctua NH-D15S | Samsung Ultra-Wide 49" 5K C49RG94SSU

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

To me, and probably to me alone admittedly, Meyer comes across as pompous, blinkered and arrogant and not some one I would wish to have dinner with. I've long thought that fresh blood at the helm would be a very good thing. But I'm guessing that my opinion should not be spoken aloud.

Picture the scenario.  Every morning you wake up to comments like,

"the flight model in the 737 feels wrong.  Can you fix it?"

"MSFS is better than X-Plane."

"When are you going to add streamed scenery to X-Plane?"

etc...etc...

Now picture that for 20 years.

Pretty soon, you'd want to stop associating with people until you get to know them properly.

I met Austin for the first time at the Vegas expo.  When he was introduced to me, he was one of the most courteous and respectful people I could speak to.  We all sat down (his staff, a few developers and my publisher) and we started talking about anything and everything.  I honestly forgot he has a net worth of almost $100 million.  

No disrespect, but how can you determine a persons character if you haven't even met them?  Meet them.  Speak to them.  Then form an opinion.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

I actually enjoy XP, I really do. But, to me, the main issue is not even the water or general aesthetics of the sim, but the fact that the it is just not stable enough like MSFS or P3D (again, in my experience).

When starting a flight on XP11 there is, at least, a 25% chance that I will not make it to the end. That leads to me having fear before starting a long planned flight, whereas I don't have this with the other sims.

Hopefully the stability of the platform (coupled with payware aircraft/plugins) will improve with XP12.

I've had people tell me this, on an almost daily basis, when it comes to crashes and the TBM.

Then I look at their log file.  

The problem with X-Plane, and any flight sim, is plugins from 3rd party developers.  The more you have, the higher the chance you'll get crashes.  Especially when quality control is almost non-existent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoranM said:

I've had people tell me this, on an almost daily basis, when it comes to crashes and the TBM.

Then I look at their log file.  

The problem with X-Plane, and any flight sim, is plugins from 3rd party developers.  The more you have, the higher the chance you'll get crashes.  Especially when quality control is almost non-existent.

Oh yes, I agree. The thing is that you need plugins on XP11 to have a good experience and I am only using the ones that are absolutely necessary.

But even payware planes are not timely maintained. For instance, the FlyJSim 727 has been generating logs with hundreds of megabytes of error messages after each flight for months now and the dev won't bother to fix that.

In any case, hopefully the base XP12 will be much improved, so that we don't need so many plugins in the future.

  • Upvote 1

PC1: Intel i9 10900k@5.1Ghz@1.265v | Gainward GeForce RTX 3090 Phantom | MSI Gaming Carbon Z490 | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 2TB NVMe | BeQuiet 1000W Platinum | BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX | BeQuiet Pure Loop 360mm | LG OLED 48CX8LC

PC2: Intel i5 10400F | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC | Asrock B560M-ITX | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 1Tb NVMe | Lian Li T150 | Noctua NH-D15S | Samsung Ultra-Wide 49" 5K C49RG94SSU

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Oh yes, I agree. The thing is that you need plugins on XP11 to have a good experience and I am only using the ones that are absolutely necessary.

But even payware planes are not timely maintained. For instance, the FlyJSim 727 has been generating logs with hundreds of megabytes of error messages after each flight for months now and the dev won't bother to fix that.

In any case, hopefully the base XP12 will be much improved, so that we don't need so many plugins in the future.

Perfectly put.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Oh yes, I agree. The thing is that you need plugins on XP11 to have a good experience and I am only using the ones that are absolutely necessary.

This is true, but it depends on a couple of things.  What the user deems necessary and the support being offered.

Example:  I don't need ortho.  It looks nice from up high, but down low...ugh.  But ortho has been known to cause crashes due to problems with some scenery tiles.  

10 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

But even payware planes are not timely maintained.

Also true.  And it's unfortunate, because to some, it gives the developers who do the right thing, a bad name.  Fortunately, the people who paint all developers with the same brush, are few and far between.

10 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

For instance, the FlyJSim 727 has been generating logs with hundreds of megabytes of error messages after each flight for months now and the dev won't bother to fix that.

A log file should rarely, if ever, exceed 1 megabyte.  I don't have the 727, but it's unlike the person who handles support to ignore issues.  I can talk to him, if you like.

5 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Perfectly put.

Yes, but it'll never happen.  How is "flight sim regulation" even possible?

As long as there are independent developers, there will always be CTD's.  I've never really put P3D through its paces, but I've had all MSFS titles, including the current one (for about a month), and they've all crashed at 1 time or another.

The advantage you have as an X-Plane user is you can either disable or remove plugins from X-Plane and test it.  Then replace the plugins, 1 at a time, and re-test X-Plane each time, until the crash happens.  There are no registry entries, so it's a clean removal and replacement.  Then you know who to go to for support.

 

Edited by GoranM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GoranM said:

A log file should rarely, if ever, exceed 1 megabyte.  I don't have the 727, but it's unlike the person who handles support to ignore issues.  I can talk to him, if you like.

 

Thanks, but this is a known issue and I assume he is fully focused on the Q400. Hopefully this will be fixed after the release.


PC1: Intel i9 10900k@5.1Ghz@1.265v | Gainward GeForce RTX 3090 Phantom | MSI Gaming Carbon Z490 | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 2TB NVMe | BeQuiet 1000W Platinum | BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX | BeQuiet Pure Loop 360mm | LG OLED 48CX8LC

PC2: Intel i5 10400F | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC | Asrock B560M-ITX | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 1Tb NVMe | Lian Li T150 | Noctua NH-D15S | Samsung Ultra-Wide 49" 5K C49RG94SSU

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

When starting a flight on XP11 there is, at least, a 25% chance that I will not make it to the end.

This surprises me - and is pretty much out of the ordinary for most users. I can not remember the last time X-Plane crashed for me.

There are some things people can do to make it fail (like running certain unstable or outdated third-party add-ons, drivers or hardware overclocks), but default X-Plane is VERY stable - and may I say so - certainly more stable than the competition.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Janov said:

This surprises me - and is pretty much out of the ordinary for most users. I can not remember the last time X-Plane crashed for me.

There are some things people can do to make it fail (like running certain unstable or outdated third-party add-ons, drivers or hardware overclocks), but default X-Plane is VERY stable - and may I say so - certainly more stable than the competition.

I use orthos, lots of them. Can't use the sim otherwise. 😩


PC1: Intel i9 10900k@5.1Ghz@1.265v | Gainward GeForce RTX 3090 Phantom | MSI Gaming Carbon Z490 | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 2TB NVMe | BeQuiet 1000W Platinum | BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX | BeQuiet Pure Loop 360mm | LG OLED 48CX8LC

PC2: Intel i5 10400F | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC | Asrock B560M-ITX | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 1Tb NVMe | Lian Li T150 | Noctua NH-D15S | Samsung Ultra-Wide 49" 5K C49RG94SSU

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that the salient point that was being made is that the plugins which may be the cause of any instability are absolutely necessary and are not really optional. And that hopefully that they will be unnecessary when XP12 arrives.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

I believe that the salient point that was being made is that the plugins which may be the cause of any instability are absolutely necessary and are not really optional. And that hopefully that they will be unnecessary when XP12 arrives.

yeah, but then it will be just as unstable.

Which is why I wish they fixed the lighting in XP11, because fixing that is going to take a while.


AutoATC Developer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoranM said:

And sarcasm is a 2nd language to me.

That's what you think.

1 hour ago, GoranM said:

Does it bother you THAT much that people prefer X-Plane?  Do you find it impossible that there are people who don't like what you like?

No, not at all. What bothers me is that people like you hinder the advancement of XP because I would like to have options, not just MSFS.

 

2 hours ago, GoranM said:

What makes your opinion on X-Plane so superior to others?

That it's objectively better. Saying "we don't need realistic graphics in something that aims to simulate reality" is nonsense, no matter how often it is repeated. Else we'd be on monochrome graphics because it's enough.

 

2 hours ago, GoranM said:

Don't take my word for it. Check out reddit or facebook.  

Do you mean the fact that XP reddit is dead? That the org is dead? That this subforum here is dead? That almost noone comments when new planes are released?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, rka said:

That it's objectively better. Saying "we don't need realistic graphics in something that aims to simulate reality" is nonsense, no matter how often it is repeated. Else we'd be on monochrome graphics because it's enough.

WOW!!!!

Keep digging.

 

 

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...