Sign in to follow this  
Guest jboweruk

I am looking for some answers...

Guest contaegious

I need to do a speech for English exam, and I chose aeroplanes.I need to find out the following:1) What is the presurre inside the tyres of a Boeing 747? How strong would an explosion be? (i.e., is a tyre exlposion as powerful as a car bomb? or what.)2) How many parts make up a plane?3) How thick are tyres?4) What different types of materials are used to make the body of the plane?5) What historic planes are there? (I know the Concord, first supersonic aircraft; DeHavilland Comet, first jet aircraft and kept on crashing due to (I am not sure can someone tell me?); Boeing 747, why?)6) Parts of a plane7) Interesting facts that sound cool. (I know that 50 gallons of paint on a standard B737 can weigh up to 250 pounds after drying)8) Why I like aviation (I will answer that thank you.)?9) First: Commercial Aircraft (meaning propeller, I know the first jet aircraft was the Comet)And I have only got 10 seconds worth of a 3 minute speech. i need someone to help me figure out the rest.Aviation is my hobby, but I really do not know what to talk about because I knwo half of the peopl i tell will find it boring, and thing is I want to tell them interesting facts.Can someone please help me?Thanks a alot.

Guest Edam

Have you tried Google?Putting in your first question found this page with just about anything that you'd want to know about a 747:http://www.gocalipso.com/aircraft/boeing747/facts.phpThe pressure in the 747's tires is about 190 to 225 psi for the main gear and 170 to 200 psi for the nose gear. They are 4 ft in diameter and are filled with Nitrogen to prevent explosions from brake heat.

Hey Conteg...You're surfing one of the best research tools ever. You might consider using Google and Wikipedia for starters. I was never any good at doing my kids homework...and aint gonna start doing yours! :-)Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest Edam

>I was never>any good at doing my kids homework...and aint gonna start>doing yours! :-)That was my first reaction, but the Internet Newbies gotta learn somewhere. What amazes me is how many questions are asked by those that HAVE been around for awhile that can easily be answered with a Google search.

Guest ZOTAN

While the PSI of a tire might interest us, it probably wont interest your audience. The audience is key in any speech. A bunch of people that no zero about aviation are not going to be interested in tire pressure on a 747 or how many parts make up your standard A320. Broaden your topic a little bit and try to make a speech that will keep people in the audience interested. Do a speech on the history of aviation, or how planes got from a few sticks with cloth to nearly 1 million pounds of metal travelling half way around the world. Maybe research the history of a certain airline, and how it's legacy changed the way we get around the world today. Just make sure It is something everyone can relate too.Good luck,

Guest contaegious

Thanks for your help guys!Will try and improve it.

Guest Rockcliffe

never mind

Guest Edam

>never mindWere you going to say something similar to: "It is rude to criticize spelling especially when 95% of the time it is intended as an insult.When you have a forum that is this diverse with people participating from countries worldwide it is counter productive to have people pick on spelling mistakes."

Guest Rockcliffe

Actually, that was exactly what I was going to say, lol.That, and to ask what the heck 'swot' means.

Guest jboweruk

>I need to do a speech for English exam, and I chose>aeroplanes.>>I need to find out the following:>>>>4) What different types of materials are used to make the body>of the plane?>>5) What historic planes are there? (I know the Concord, first>supersonic aircraft; DeHavilland Comet, first jet aircraft and>kept on crashing due to (I am not sure can someone tell me?);>Boeing 747, why?)>>>>Thanks a alot.That's actually a misconception, it did not keep crashing, it only had three crashes, after that the project was scrapped. The DC10 crashed many more times yet was allowed to keep flying to this day. The Comet became the Nimrod and has been used successfully by the RAF ever since, and has an exellent safety record. A shame they let those 3 mishaps kill what was a great plane, and allowed Boeing to get the hold they eventually did on the market.

Guest MB

Don't post here often but just need to say:The project wasn't scrapped after the three crashes. There was a huge investigation into the causes of the crashes (metal fatigue at the corner of a square window panel), and as a result, a redesigned Comet 4 flew in 1958. These comet 4s flew on until the 1980s.The problem was, by the time the Comet 4 flew, Boeing and Douglas had taken the lead, helped in no small part by the info that emerged from the comet crash investigation.

Guest jboweruk

Thank you Sir, I always like to hear and learn as much as possible and you often find out things that have come to light you didn't know about. I know the Comet still flies as the Nimrod, but did not know it stayed in Civil airline service until the 80's.