Sign in to follow this  
Shomron

On the verge of transitioning to MSFS

Hi all,

I've been using P3D in the last few years (in the buisness since FS 5.1).

Before transitioning to MSFS (was waiting for complex aircraft as that is what I fly/ IFR) I have a few questions and would appreciate your answers -

1. If I run P3D v5 smoothly can I assume with the same details and graphic settings I will achieve the same in MSFS?

2. Is the deluxe premium version worth it if I'm only looking for the tailored made airports (not aircraft)?

3. Do you recommend purchasing addons on the marketplace or the vendor stores (like Aerosoft and Simmarket)?

4. Do you recommend I hold the transition a bit more (I'm not the early adopter type and looking for stability) 🙂

Appreciate any feedback!

Shomron

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

1. Yes, should be so or better!

2. if you look for a special airport you want and there's no other freeware or payware, get it. Otherwise maybe not.

3. not in the marketplace if possible: updates slower and possibly less features there in future

4. It is very stable for me. No CTDs here

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My opinions:

29 minutes ago, Shomron said:

1. If I run P3D v5 smoothly can I assume with the same details and graphic settings I will achieve the same in MSFS?

Yes if not better.

2. Is the deluxe premium version worth it if I'm only looking for the tailored made airports (not aircraft)?

It depends on how much you'll use the various airports.  I bought it more for a few of the aircraft myself but I also thought that some of the international airports would be good enough to keep me from having to buy a payware version down the line so the money was a wash or a savings long term.

3. Do you recommend purchasing addons on the marketplace or the vendor stores (like Aerosoft and Simmarket)?

I would only buy on the marketplace if what you want can't be purchased anywhere else.  Marketplace updates are very slow.

4. Do you recommend I hold the transition a bit more (I'm not the early adopter type and looking for stability) 🙂

I dove right in last year and have probably only flown in P3D 5-6 times since, and not at all in the past 6 months.  The sim is generally very stable and a lot of fun with more fixes all the time.  For the price (maybe equivalent to a couple of P3D addons?) I personally see no reason to wait.

Edit: It's as if me and Guenter collaborated on our posts 😉

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1. Probably
2. Only you can know if the additional content in the deluxe version makes it worth your money.
3. I would stay away from the marketplace whenever possible.  And I would buy the Steam version of MSFS rather than the MS Store version.
4. I would recommend you add MSFS to your "portfolio" rather than "transitioning," at least until you have a chance to answer for yourself whether MSFS in its current state answers the mail for your IFR flying...there are still challenges with MSFS e.g. flight planning/flying without weather forecasts or winds aloft data, regular periodic breakage of add-ons with sim updates, a dearth of hi-fidelity add-ons etc. 

• Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

38 minutes ago, Shomron said:

Hi all,

I've been using P3D in the last few years (in the buisness since FS 5.1).

Before transitioning to MSFS (was waiting for complex aircraft as that is what I fly/ IFR) I have a few questions and would appreciate your answers -

Appreciate any feedback!

Shomron

1. Absolutely. Actually probably better

2. Default airport in MSFS are actually pretty good. Don't fee like you need to upgrade to the higher tier. That being said. There is quite a few mods that improved the deluxe premium aircraft that makes it much better

3. Buy from vendor

4. Yes, Keep your P3D in case you feel like you need to fly the Maddog or the Dash8. (Btw, buy the DC-6,)

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

1. can't really be compared, but with the same quality and graphics, you are certainly "smooth" with the MSFS.

3. In any case outside - the next thing is, should you ever decide to switch between the versions, i.e. Steam or Store version, you cannot transfer the purchased items (please correct if already changed). If you buy it for example via ORBX Central - it is transferable and usable!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Originally bought Deluxe from MarketPlace. Never worked properly, no sync connection from day one. Issued a refund four days later.

Bought Steam edition, works perfect.

Do NOT buy through marketplace via Steam. Never received aircraft I paid 30 bucks for from a very reliable P3D developer. Process went something like this…

Bought ac from MP through Steam and was charged.

No ac showed up. Steam support says you need to contact MicroSoft (from the Latin meaning ‘We have you money and we really don’t give a ****).

Go to the dev directly. Can’t help you out buddy.

Spend 30 minutes filling out MS form and submit. Response was we’ll get back to you. That was a week ago. Lesson learned.

Have installed multiple purchases from third party devs with no problem. Place in community folder, done.

Other than that, I’m really enjoying the sim. The terrain where I live is spot on (KSTS). Don’t miss the red NorCal scenery butted up against the green KSTS surrounding area one bit (ORBX). 😀

I am still an active P3D user and I recommend keeping it. But I also use XP. MSFS performs better than any other sim. Buy through Steam. Stay as far away from the Marketplace as much as possible (there ARE some exclusive aircraft ONLY on MP, such as all Microsoft and Carenado aircraft, so I make exceptions there) I have Premium Deluxe and don’t regret it. It’s WAY more expensive to upgrade your version should you want it later. Your must buys: PMDG DC-6, MilViz Corsair and Porter, Aerosoft CRJ. 

Got the DC6 yesterday. Actually started all four engines.😊

Outstanding aircraft.

2 hours ago, Shomron said:

I'm going to answer this differently from, it looks like, everyone above me, because it's an important point that I think gets missed in folks' dislike of the Markeplace:

If you want things you buy to be cross-licensed on both the PC and the Xbox, your only option is the Marketplace.   If you only ever plan on playing on the PC, buy wherever makes you happiest as a consumer.  If you think you might play on the Xbox too and want your purchases to follow you, Marketplace it is.

Just didn't want the general feelings about the Marketplace here to lead to giving incorrect/incomplete advice. 🙂

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

I'm going to answer this differently from, it looks like, everyone above me, because it's an important point that I think gets missed in folks' dislike of the Markeplace:

If you want things you buy to be cross-licensed on both the PC and the Xbox, your only option is the Marketplace.   If you only ever plan on playing on the PC, buy wherever makes you happiest as a consumer.  If you think you might play on the Xbox too and want your purchases to follow you, Marketplace it is.

Just didn't want the general feelings about the Marketplace here to lead to giving incorrect/incomplete advice. 🙂

I'll further contribute to this answer in that if you want crossplatform with the xbox, not only do you need to purchase from the in game marketplace, but you also have to buy the game from Microsoft and not Steam. Only the Microsoft version of MSFS is cross platform with the Xbox.

Now if you only want it for the PC, then my opinion is buy it from Steam and buy addons from their vendors directly. There are a couple things that are only available in the Marketplace. Carenado only sells through the Marketplace and MSFS/Asobo did release the Toprudder 103 only on the Marketplace, so if you want those you're only choice is the Marketplace. Updates to marketplace items are fewer and further between so if an update breaks something you'll be at MSFS/Asobo's discretion as to when/if it gets fixed (and that might be a while) where as most off marketplace addons are updated quickly.

• Upvote 1

James

If you go for it, buy it at Steam. The MS Store  procedures of updating  are a pain in the behind if I believe the tens of posts of people pulling their hair each time.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I have been using MS Flight Simulator since the first version in 1982. After FSX I was a user of all P3D versions through version 4.5. When MSFS2020 was released I bought the DVD premium deluxe version from Aerosoft. Have not had any problems other than those everyone has experienced in a few of the updates. Except for the Piper PA28 Arrow, which was only available to purchase from Just Flight, have purchased all of my add-ons, aircraft and airports, through the sim from MS Marketplace, and have not experienced any serious issues. I am not interested in Steam or XBox, so happy to keep things simple by purchasing through the sim.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

1. Graphic settings and p3d and MSFS isnt exactly the same and MSFS looks so much better than p3d. You will probably have same or better fps in MSFS.

2. I have the premium edition and right now it's probably not worth it. The handcrafted airports from Asobo are kinda of.... meh (theres a few that are nice though). And alot of the airports that came with the premium edition have now been made by 3rd party devs too a much higher accuracy and detail. However, I will say that you'll get alot of airports for a "cheap price" from the premium edition. If you listened to the dev QnA yesterday there was some news from WT that might actually make premium edition worth it. For instance, WT are gonna improve the G3000 which the Longitude have and when WT have done their amazing work on the G3000, the Longitude might actually turn out to be a real solid plane. So to sum it up, premium edition is probably not worth it right now, but looking at it long term, it might be if you are into those planes that comes with premium edition. In the end it's really up to you 🙂 

3. I would recommend to buy planes addons from developers themselves if possible. Otherwise you should probably buy from resellers like Aerosoft, Simmarket, Just Flight etc. And lastly for scenery addons I would probably say it's fine to buy from the Marketplace. My reasoning? Plane addons usually get more updates frequently and updates on Marketplace are slooooooooooooooooooooooow. And for sceneries... well they are not updated as frequently and are probably less likely to fail, so that's why sceneries to me are kinda ok to buy on Marketplace.

4. If you got the hdd space, keep p3d. At least until you've given MSFS a try to see if it's a sim you want to continue flying or not.

I have bought the premium edition from the MS Store and I haven't had much issues with it. I think I have like 600 hours into the sim right now and I haven't had many CTD's or other issues. Installation or updating the sim has never been a problem either. MS Store or Steam, I don't think you can go wrong with either! 🙂 

• Like 1