Sign in to follow this  
Murat Deniz Senol

Step Climb?

Hello everyone, i would like to make a Cargo flight with pmdg 747 qots II, my airplane will be a -400bcf. But since i will be very heavy, i have to perform a step climb but i don't know how to do it without ruin the altitude values that given by fmc? You know on the legs Page, at the right Hand side there are altitude values, once i changed one of them from 6.000 to 8.000 feet, at 8.000 feet the Autopilot switched itself to the altitude hold mode and i couldn't reengage the vnav anymore. 

By the way is there any differences between fmcs of -400F and -400BCF? 

Greetings,

I will go back to my heavy days and tell you how we did it. You should be able to do it as well. The most efficient way to climb is a constant climb as the jet burns off fuel. No ATC is going to allow that unless you are in the far reaches of the world or some where that will give you a block altitude to do it in. The next best thing is to do it this way. Set your initial cruise altitude to be 2000ft above the current optimum altitude for your weight. Once there, stay until you are 2000ft below the current optimum. Rinse and repeat. This will always keep you within 2000ft of optimum. The FMS should give you the option to set the Steps, but it's just as simple to do it as I explained as long as you always know your optimum altitude.Keep in mind that the direction you are going may drive you to an odd or even altitude selection. It won't be exact, but it doesn't matter. In most cases you won't VNAV up often due to ATC limits and hold downs. I find that I VNAV mostly when cleared to descend or climb via a procedure.

Rick

Edited by G550flyer
added info