Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

PMDG 737 estimated to be released in Q4, 2021

It's a different platform, gents. There will be things only the P3D version has (WXR) and things only the MSFS version has. 

Over the months the differences will skew into MSFS' favor... remember we didn't have WXR until Active Sky came in, post NG release.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Randazzo was simply saying that as development progresses, there are things constantly being added so it makes no sense to put up a list of CURRENTLY missing features if they're gonna be there in a few weeks.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

10 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Not only terrain but also weather radar. There will be no radar at all on the 737, whenever it will be released. That is guaranteed, because Asobo are not even working on that right now.
There will probably be other features missing (likely some fancy autopilot stuff; probably flight dynamics too; for sure any weather/wind FMC functionality), but a lot depends on whether PMDG opted to calculate some things outside of MSFS (like Fenix does). I think they haven't beent talking about that yet, so I guess they are not (yet) considering that option.

If you know PMDG for a while you can clearly read their discomfort between every line of that statement. They want to deliver up to their standards but they know it will not be possible for probably 1-2 years, so they will have to release a non-complete version earlier. I feel them, and that's the positive I take away from that (rather disappointing) statement. At least they are serious about their stuff.

My understanding is that Working Title got the weather radar working for their mods but Working Title is using HTML & Javascript.  So this is assuming PMDG isn't willing to use HTML/Javascript to implement the weather radar, which is a reasonable assumption because Aerosoft didn't want to use HTML & Javascript either for the CRJ (hence, Aerosoft is waiting for Asobo to add weather radar C++ support in the MSFS SDK).  So the assumption is PMDG, like Aerosoft, will wait for weather radar to be officially supported in the MSFS SDK at the C++ level.

Having said that, PMDG may surprise us all and have a working weather radar in the same way that Working Title got theirs working, with HTML & Javascript.  I doubt PMDG will go down this route but it's not impossible, if PMDG really wants the PMDG 737 to have all the features available upon the release and they don't want to wait for Asobo to add C++ weather radar support in the MSFS SDK.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

39 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Until Fenix showed up 😄

The difference is, PMDG has produced quality addons on multiple platforms for over 20 years. What Fenix is showing us looks very promising but they have no track record as of yet. I'm looking forward to both.

• Like 5

NAX669.png

10 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Not only terrain but also weather radar. There will be no radar at all on the 737, whenever it will be released. That is guaranteed, because Asobo are not even working on that right now.
There will probably be other features missing (likely some fancy autopilot stuff; probably flight dynamics too; for sure any weather/wind FMC functionality), but a lot depends on whether PMDG opted to calculate some things outside of MSFS (like Fenix does). I think they haven't beent talking about that yet, so I guess they are not (yet) considering that option.

If you know PMDG for a while you can clearly read their discomfort between every line of that statement. They want to deliver up to their standards but they know it will not be possible for probably 1-2 years, so they will have to release a non-complete version earlier. I feel them, and that's the positive I take away from that (rather disappointing) statement. At least they are serious about their stuff.

I share the same concern. That this will be another WIP product like so many others. Atleast by their own standards it will be.

• Upvote 1

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

6 minutes ago, Keirtt said:

I share the same concern. That this will be another WIP product like so many others. Atleast by their own standards it will be.

Then again, I'd take a non-complete PMDG aircraft any day 🙂  Still a lot better than waiting like 10 years for a 737 like back in FSX

• Like 4

PMDG DC-6 that was released several month ago is  masterpiece even with all shortcomings of MSFS. I have full confidence in 737. 

• Like 8

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

The way I read it, if there are missing "functionality differences between the P3D and MSFS," that's not a good sign.

I agree! The last Q&A with MS/ASOBO clearly showed a lack of communication between the "community" (and PMDG I would assume) and the Devs. While on initiative of FBW (A320 mod) the request for a weather API gained beyond 1500 votes on the official forums, the devs were ranting about "everyone writing data to the servers and thus overloading them", while in fact it would be an API to !read! data from the sim to get weather information for the destination (as existing in the sim!) as well as information necessary to implement a believable weather radar beyond the ridiculous image provided with actual solutions. I sincerely hope the PMDG 737 will deliver on VNAV and RNP approaches, but I'm 100% sure we will see no weather radar on release.

Edited by Tom_L

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

13 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

PMDG DC-6 that was released several month ago is  masterpiece even with all shortcomings of MSFS. I have full confidence in 737. 

Yes, it's an amazing add-on. But its complexity pales in comparison to a 737. 

Just now, Chapstick said:

It must be sad always seeing gloom and doom all of the time. Aren't you never satisfied of anything ? The DC-6 is the best DC-6 ever recreated in a flight sim and it's absolute blast to fly in MSFS. Do you really think PMDG would impact their brand by releasing an half word not allowed product ? PMDG has never done that before. 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

4 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Other than WX/terrain radar and FMC it's no that much complex and it takes only two people to fly

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Other than WX/terrain radar and FMC it's no that much complex and it takes only two people to fly

This. I imagine the "feature list" will be something like:

Not yet implemented:

• Bugs hitting the windshield
  • Weather Radar
  • Terrain Display
  • Real World Accurate VNAV (Due to inaccessible weather data)

And then by 2Q22 we'll have all of those implemented anyway, but the P3D folks will still be here complaining.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Just now, WestAir said:

This. I imagine the "feature list" will be something like:

Not yet implemented:

• Bugs hitting the windshield
  • Weather Radar
  • Terrain Display
  • Real World Accurate VNAV (Due to inaccessible weather data)

And then by 2Q22 we'll have all of those implemented anyway, but the P3D folks will still be here complaining.

I think I was reading before on PMDG forum there is a work around way to make at least terrain radar function before Asobo implement API  

I have perfectly good weather radar implementation in my cheap Carenado Seneca in MSFS, with range adjustment and some directional controls (vertical scan etc.).  It is also proper precipitation based radar, not cloud.  Why can't it be used in the B737?

Is it just down to the C++ or HTML / Javascript argument again?  I am sure one of the WT guys said it makes no real difference to performance in the sim these days.

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I hope we getting it before the end of this year, but i think it comes with Q1 2022.

But after all, it comes when it is ready..

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png