Sign in to follow this  
Guest JetA_Alaska

FSX quit working

Guest JetA_Alaska

Hello, all. Been lurking about for quite a few years now....can usually find answers to my problems just by a little research here. But now I'm ready to burn anything with microsoft printed on it. I'm a huge fan of simming. I fly airplanes for a living and when I come home from work I fly my PC(much to my wife's chagrin). OK, my problem: I finally got FSX working fine on my computer, so I decided to add a few planes from the library. I installed 5 new planes and started FSX. Got a message saying that FSX couldn't load some files and would now exit. I went back and removed the new stuff one by one. No go. Used the FS disc to repair, which got me the the Splash screen for a bit and no error message, but then it just stops loading and back to the desktop. I removed and reinstalled several times...including manually removing stuff that didn't get removed by the uninstall utility. Now I'm back to the Original message. Argh. FS9 works fine. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Two possible things to try.1) manually delete the fsx.cfg file and allow FSX to build a new one (this file is NOT removed automatically, and "Repair" doesn't touch it either}.2) delete the logbook.bin file and allow FSX to build a new one (ditto the above for this one as well).

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest JetA_Alaska

They were FSX aircraft.Bill, I did delete the fsx.cfg file and the logbook.bin before I repaired and reinstalled. I will try it again. Thanks.Right now I'm monkeying with the disk clean-up utility in XP. See if that does anything.

Guest JetA_Alaska

Hmmm, I used the Disk Clean-up utility on my C: drive and made sure not to compress the old files. It worked. Wierd, since FSX is installed in a partition on another HDD. Dunno, at least it works now.