Sign in to follow this  
CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger

Invest in a battery UPS for peace of mind

14 hours ago, Noel said:

It's a separate device which takes the incoming mains and protects all circuits under them, the one I have is mounted adjacent to what we call 'Service Panels' or 'Breaker Boxes', etc.  They're good for big ticket surges but you still need 'local' surge protection for your various microelectronics.

Yep, pretty much the same thing is available here, along with systems built into the consumer unit, what you call "breaker box". 

On 10/6/2021 at 7:41 AM, martin-w said:

Do you mean in the fuse board? 

Modern UK Consumer Units (fuse boards) have surge protection built into them now too. Also protection from arching is an option. In addition to RCBO's on each circuit of course. That's only the latest Consumer Units, there are a multitude of really old ones in most homes of course with just a couple of RCD's for the two ring circuits and then just MCB's.

I'm surprised they don't build surge protection into the boards here (Canada) at least that I am aware, or make it code. NEC in the States did make surge protection in the panel code in 2020  Mind you why build a house without a fence and finishing the driveway.  Most people are going to erect a fence when they buy the home and it pits new neighbor against new neighbor at the start. 

Seems common sense and especially when a surge protection is so inexpensive.

Guess colonists will always lag behind the motherland, then again, you had an extra 500-years or so to get your stuff together. :>) 

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Modern UK Consumer Units (fuse boards) have surge protection built into them now too. Also protection from arching is an option. In addition to RCBO's on each circuit of course. That's only the latest Consumer Units, there are a multitude of really old ones in most homes of course with just a couple of RCD's for the two ring circuits and then just MCB's.

I'm surprised they don't build surge protection into the boards here (Canada) at least that I am aware, or make it code. NEC in the States did make surge protection in the panel code in 2020  Mind you why build a house without a fence and finishing the driveway.  Most people are going to erect a fence when they buy the home and it pits new neighbor against new neighbor at the start. 

Guess colonists will always lag behind the motherland, then again, you had an extra 500-years or so to get your stuff together. :>) 

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

I'm surprised they don't build surge protection into the boards here (Canada) at least that I am aware, or make it code.

NEC in the States did make surge protection in the panel code in 2020  Mind you why build a house without a fence and finishing the driveway.  Most people are going to erect a fence when they buy the home and it pits new neighbor against new neighbor at the start. 

Regards,
Gary Andersen

I'm surprised they don't build surge protection into the boards here (Canada) at least that I am aware, or make it code.

NEC in the States did make surge protection in the panel code in 2020  Mind you why build a house without a fence and finishing the driveway.  Most people are going to erect a fence when they buy the home and it pits new neighbor against new neighbor at the start. 

Guess colonists will always lag behind the motherland, then again, you had an extra 500-years or so to get your stuff together. 

Regards,
Gary Andersen

15 hours ago, Gary A said:

Guess colonists will always lag behind the motherland, then again, you had an extra 500-years or so to get your stuff together. 

Nice video below on how it works in the UK. The SPD (Surge Protection Device) is fitted inside the consumer unit (fuse board).  Can also be fitted next to our electricity meters. 

I'm absolutely thrilled to help out colonists. 😺👍

Edited by martin-w

15 hours ago, Gary A said:

I'm surprised they don't build surge protection into the boards here

They do... looks like its the same as here in the UK, not actually built in, supplied with or available  as an optional extra. 

https://www.canadabreakers.ca/collections/surge-protectors?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnoqLBhD4ARIsAL5JedLJ09Ijjb5nrk0K22_JR-6YhOB4KHY95Sg8RAcnr_tzJV4B7DyF9ogaAhRCEALw_wcB