Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Banner at the bottom of the forum screen

47 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

You did not specify that you also had AddBlockPlus installed. I do not have any ad blockers of any kind installed. The point I and some others are trying to make is that those ads at the bottom of the page have only recently appeared.

Yes they appeared recently and yes ad blockers (ABP for me)  make them invisible. 

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 10/3/2021 at 4:37 PM, charliearon said:

Just to let everyone know, the AVSIM tech has been made aware of the situation and is working on it!

Any updates to this please? Thanks

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Maybe the AVSIM tech's on vacation Marc.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I finally found a way to just block it all. For some reason Avsim had turned into a complete advertisement-fest for me. Pop-ups everywhere on mobile.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

9 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I finally found a way to just block it all. For some reason Avsim had turned into a complete advertisement-fest for me. Pop-ups everywhere on mobile.

I use Chrome and Firefox on mobile and it's bad with these ads, the full screen ones are simply annoying.

9 hours ago, SoJourned said:

Working as intended:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/608209-suddenly-ads-are-appearing-across-screen-constantly-changing/?do=findComment&comment=4639093

Keep in mind, if you're blocking ads you are depriving AVSIM of the income to keep it running.

Your missing the point that they got worse in recent weeks, they were never this intrusive on a mobile device a month or so ago. I don't mind ads and fully appreciate why they're needed, but something changed for the worse and it would be nice if it could go back to how it was before.

• Like 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I have been a First Class member of Flightsim.com for twenty years or so now.  I pay 29.95 annually and consider it a pretty fair price.  They have ads, but mostly for payware flightsim products.  The ads are on the side bar and they have a banner ad, but it only appears below the last post of a message thread.

I don't go over there much anymore except perhaps to download something I'm looking for.  But I do maintain my First Class membership in addition to contributing to AVSIM.

I feel if more of us contributed, even if it's just a small amount commensurate with how much time you spend here, excessive ads wouldn't be necessary.  

The banner ads at the bottom of the page I find excessively intrusive.  I have to keep scrolling up sometimes to complete a post.  Sometimes I am sandwich in by the same banner on the top and bottom of the page when I first log on.

Sometimes it's non-intrusive as it is right now as I am finishing up this post.  If it was like this all the time there would be nothing to complain about.  The banner is currently below the Submit Reply box at the bottom of the page.

I would also suggest that in addition to one time donations an automatic monthly donation from PayPal or a credit card like some download sites have.  I would rather donate to something like that than have to remember it's time to donate to AVSIM again.  I think you would get eventual larger donations that way than asking for an immediate lump sum.

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

On my tablet, the banner completely covers the forum popup that says "X has replied to your post" or "X has created a new topic". It also blocks me from clicking on that forum popup, so I have to instead scroll back to the top of the forum and click on unread content or whatever, to see what's happening.

While I am doing that, often another, half-page ad will then pop out, blocking my view again, until I "X" it away so that I can then continue scrolling.

Then, I reach yet another ad at the top of the page.

Now... I visit many sites with unintrusive ad's. And then there are other sites where I feel spammed!

Avsim has never been the latter. But now....

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically...To AVSIM advertisingly.

Noel

• Like 1

I get it. Ad revenue is a necessity these days. It is so obtrusive and annoying on mobile here now that even I’m starting to avoid Avsim. There has to be a better way

• Upvote 1

Chris

11 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

I get it. Ad revenue is a necessity these days. It is so obtrusive and annoying on mobile here now that even I’m starting to avoid Avsim. There has to be a better way

I have to agree with this.  Every time I come to AVSIM on my phone or tablet, the entire screen is covered by an ad and I cannot see the content.  Close the add, load another forum topic, and the screen is covered again.  And on and on and on.  Very annoying.

• Upvote 1

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

52 minutes ago, cshark172 said:

I have to agree with this.  Every time I come to AVSIM on my phone or tablet, the entire screen is covered by an ad and I cannot see the content.  Close the add, load another forum topic, and the screen is covered again.  And on and on and on.  Very annoying.

Same here. Its making the forum untenable. 

Guys and ladies, as you know running this site is very expensive. Since we don't receive enough donations to fully fund it, then ads are necessary to pay the bills. 

If you could help with any small, medium, or roll your eyes back donations perhaps some of these will disappear.

How about 5 or10 bucks a month? That's one cheap lunch or a couple at the pub. Think about it. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

6 hours ago, 188AHC said:

Guys and ladies, as you know running this site is very expensive. Since we don't receive enough donations to fully fund it, then ads are necessary to pay the bills. 

If you could help with any small, medium, or roll your eyes back donations perhaps some of these will disappear.

How about 5 or10 bucks a month? That's one cheap lunch or a couple at the pub. Think about it. 

Nobody is complaining about advertising. Everyone is fully aware its a requirement.

It's the fact that the advertising has increased to a level where its interfering with the operation of the forum. 

And no, as has already been confirmed, how excessive and annoying the adverts are is not related to whether a user makes contributions.

And as you are aware Avsim have confirmed the issue and are looking into it.

Edited by martin-w
  • Upvote 3

I have went to safari on my iPhone and using Adblock. Which works very well. I rather use chrome but the ads are crazy. Is there a ad block for chrome? I can’t find one. 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV