Dillon

Banner at the bottom of the forum screen

47 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

You did not specify that you also had AddBlockPlus installed. I do not have any ad blockers of any kind installed. The point I and some others are trying to make is that those ads at the bottom of the page have only recently appeared.

Yes they appeared recently and yes ad blockers (ABP for me)  make them invisible. 

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MFS Standard version with Steam

On 10/3/2021 at 4:37 PM, charliearon said:

Just to let everyone know, the AVSIM tech has been made aware of the situation and is working on it!

Any updates to this please? Thanks

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 10 64bit, Gigabyte Auros Pro Mobo, i9-9900k CPU, Gigabyte 2070Super GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Maybe the AVSIM tech's on vacation Marc.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

P3D, FSX and FS2004 are still alive and kicking!

I finally found a way to just block it all. For some reason Avsim had turned into a complete advertisement-fest for me. Pop-ups everywhere on mobile.

Just Flight Beta Tester

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

9 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I finally found a way to just block it all. For some reason Avsim had turned into a complete advertisement-fest for me. Pop-ups everywhere on mobile.

I use Chrome and Firefox on mobile and it's bad with these ads, the full screen ones are simply annoying.

9 hours ago, SoJourned said:

Working as intended:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/608209-suddenly-ads-are-appearing-across-screen-constantly-changing/?do=findComment&comment=4639093

Keep in mind, if you're blocking ads you are depriving AVSIM of the income to keep it running.

Your missing the point that they got worse in recent weeks, they were never this intrusive on a mobile device a month or so ago. I don't mind ads and fully appreciate why they're needed, but something changed for the worse and it would be nice if it could go back to how it was before.

• Like 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 10 64bit, Gigabyte Auros Pro Mobo, i9-9900k CPU, Gigabyte 2070Super GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I have been a First Class member of Flightsim.com for twenty years or so now.  I pay 29.95 annually and consider it a pretty fair price.  They have ads, but mostly for payware flightsim products.  The ads are on the side bar and they have a banner ad, but it only appears below the last post of a message thread.

I don't go over there much anymore except perhaps to download something I'm looking for.  But I do maintain my First Class membership in addition to contributing to AVSIM.

I feel if more of us contributed, even if it's just a small amount commensurate with how much time you spend here, excessive ads wouldn't be necessary.  

The banner ads at the bottom of the page I find excessively intrusive.  I have to keep scrolling up sometimes to complete a post.  Sometimes I am sandwich in by the same banner on the top and bottom of the page when I first log on.

Sometimes it's non-intrusive as it is right now as I am finishing up this post.  If it was like this all the time there would be nothing to complain about.  The banner is currently below the Submit Reply box at the bottom of the page.

I would also suggest that in addition to one time donations an automatic monthly donation from PayPal or a credit card like some download sites have.  I would rather donate to something like that than have to remember it's time to donate to AVSIM again.  I think you would get eventual larger donations that way than asking for an immediate lump sum.

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Upvote 1

On my tablet, the banner completely covers the forum popup that says "X has replied to your post" or "X has created a new topic". It also blocks me from clicking on that forum popup, so I have to instead scroll back to the top of the forum and click on unread content or whatever, to see what's happening.

While I am doing that, often another, half-page ad will then pop out, blocking my view again, until I "X" it away so that I can then continue scrolling.

Then, I reach yet another ad at the top of the page.

Now... I visit many sites with unintrusive ad's. And then there are other sites where I feel spammed!

Avsim has never been the latter. But now....

Just Flight Beta Tester

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically...To AVSIM advertisingly.

Noel