Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

How do you cope with that SABA landing challenge ?

Took me at least 6 tries to get above 1M score... heck! that one is tricky !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I can' manage to stop at all, at the end of the runway I always have enough speed to take off again from that cliff!

23 minutes ago, Noooch said:

I can' manage to stop at all, at the end of the runway

same, regardless of how slow I come in, usually apply full breaks and yet run into the stones

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

:-/

Seen a few videos of RL landings, usually on rw 12, but it's a DH-6... 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It's an unrealistic landing challenge.  I don't think SABA takes King Airs in real life.  The largest aircraft that can land at SABA is the Twin Otter due to its magnificent STOL capabilities - anything else has to be able to stop in a short amount of runway or you end up having a bad day.  When I initially saw this challenge I complained due to its unrealistic nature and I was quickly flamed by people in the forums so I didn't talk about it anymore.  I much rather have realistic challenges in the sim.

Edited by DMullert
  • Like 3

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

14 minutes ago, DMullert said:

It's an unrealistic landing challenge.  I don't think SABA takes King Airs in real life.  The largest aircraft that can land at SABA is the Twin Otter due to its magnificent STOL capabilities - anything else has to be able to stop in a short amount of runway or you end up having a bad day.  When I initially saw this challenge I complained due to its unrealistic nature and I was quickly flamed by people in the forums so I didn't talk about it anymore.  I much rather have realistic challenges in the sim.

I agree: an unrealistic challenge makes you wonder how realistic the sim is.

They could split them in two: "challenges" and "impossible missions" or something like that.

A.

• Like 1

The BN-2 Islander is also a regular visitor to SABA that can obviously handle the short strip.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

6 hours ago, jcomm said:

Took me at least 6 tries to get above 1M score... heck! that one is tricky !!!

I can get down onto the runway just fine.  Stopping in time is another matter entirely.  There are at least a dozen King Air's piled up at the bottom of those cliffs... 

• Like 3

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Just tried it for the first time and managed to get an A score on first try... you need to practice your skills... And don't forget to use reverse thrust...

jw

Edited by Johnny Wyatt

21 minutes ago, Johnny Wyatt said:

Just tried it for the first time and managed to get an A score on first try... you need to practice your skills... And don't forget to use reverse thrust...

jw

Your post implies there are some sort of skills to begin with to practice...  At best I can be lucky once in a while but certainly not skilled 😉  

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

2 hours ago, psolk said:

I can get down onto the runway just fine.  Stopping in time is another matter entirely.  There are at least a dozen King Air's piled up at the bottom of those cliffs... 

I think maybe reversing mid air could be useful.

I actually landed there easily on my faithful 172 with a headwind around 25 knots.

A.

I'm still waiting for Aerosofts Twin Otter to fly to Saba.

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

11 hours ago, ADamiani said:

I agree: an unrealistic challenge makes you wonder how realistic the sim is.

They could split them in two: "challenges" and "impossible missions" or something like that.

A.

Wouldn’t an unrealistic challenge being virtually impossible to complete reassure you of its realism?

Might lead you to doubt the dev’s choice of challenge formation, but don’t see how you can conclude it challenges the sim’s realism.

Edited by scotchegg
  • Like 3

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

5 hours ago, psolk said:

Your post implies there are some sort of skills to begin with to practice...  At best I can be lucky once in a while but certainly not skilled 😉  

Your last two posts imply the problem.  Approach speed, braking, and reverse thrust are the skills to practice to allow stopping in time.  It's not an airport you would want to practice these skills in real life with an actual aircraft and pilot at risk, but there's no harm in practicing those skills in a sim.  😉

Edited by Sigwolf

Guys & Gals.  I have some maddening news.

Apparently the real world has a HORRIBLE flight model.  Just ... LOOK ... at ... THIS GARBAGE!

Whom ever programmed the real world would be FIRED in a New York MINUTE, if they worked at my company ... Just Sayin'....

• Like 3