Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

The one thing I miss most in P3D/FSX that's not in MSFS

7 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I miss this in MSFS:

• GSX
  • ChasePlane
  • FX Immersion packages for several aircraft
  • Many airports not ported over yet (too many to list)
  • Many aircraft not ported over yet (A2A, PMDG, FSL, MJC Q400, Leonardo Maddog, JF BA146, Miviz, RealAir)
  • Independent Multi-Monitor/View support
  • RSG GNX540, RSG GTN750
  • RealityXP
  • AI Lights Reborn
  • FMCs and EFB on my iPads (Virtual Avionics)
  • Ultimate Traffic Live
  • ProATC/X
  • HiFi Weather Engine
  • SODE Jetways (and more)
  • Full featured FSUIPC
  • Full control of all my GoFlight panels (GoFlight Interface Tool has partial support)

Some day, maybe, hopefully ... in the meantime I use them in P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

To be fair, I miss almost all the same, however, almost all add-ons, most of this wasn't core to P3D and some of it took quite some time to evolve.  On the other hand some things like multi monitor/multi view support should absolutely be there.

From a Vanilla core sim perspective with freeware offerings currently available MSFS has progressed very nicely from day 1 to day 365 though.  Certainly came out of the gate stronger than any other sim ever and has had much more aggressive development.  Let's just "hope" they get the SDK issues resolved ASAP which would open the flood gates for the majority of add-ons you accurately listed... 

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

8 hours ago, nobleord said:

I was voice set 56 I believe.  I met @Ray Proudfoot at the AVSIM conference out near KIAD.  Remember the fun debates over the proper pronunciation of some of the city names amongst the team. 😂

That's so cool Brian. Well, your voice was present in my man cave for years :), so thank you for the hard work, I can't even imagine how many hours recording this took.

• Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

38 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yeah phonetically it was, but the linking together of each segment wasn't natural sounding to me.  I'd be very stoked w/ the current ATC if it just worked better and offered a variety of voicings but I guess that may never happen, at least the variety of voicings.  I don't hear the concatenation in it nearly as much as I did in RC.  Actually, if i could plug in old FSX ATC that always sounded natural to me if limited.

Nick Schreger (Meatwater) did an extensive free third-party re-work of the audio files that makes the concatenation (chaining) of sound files in Radar Contact far more realistic.

Given that it uses the fairly universal FSUIPC interface, I still wonder if it could be wrangled somehow into MSFS.  The biggest issue I see is we'd need an MSFS equivalent of Makerwys to build the airport and frequency databases that RC4 uses.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

4 minutes ago, Bigsby said:

I'll just wait until MSFS 202? comes out.

This somehow reminds me of the old adage I heard way back decades ago... the ideal sim hardware will *always* cost $2500.  Always. A better one is always around the corner....It never ends... 🙂

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

33 minutes ago, Bigsby said:

I'll just wait until MSFS 202? comes out.

Yep you better wait...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

Nick Schreger (Meatwater) did an extensive free third-party re-work of the audio files that makes the concatenation (chaining) of sound files in Radar Contact far more realistic.

Given that it uses the fairly universal FSUIPC interface, I still wonder if it could be wrangled somehow into MSFS.  The biggest issue I see is we'd need an MSFS equivalent of Makerwys to build the airport and frequency databases that RC4 uses.

It's been a while since I tried to get RC working with MSFS, but Makerwys is not a problem - Pete Dowson quite quickly wrote a version which works with MSFS. One of the problems was with RC not being able to get weather details, altimeter settings etc., from FSUIPC. Another problem was that even though the menu system can be made to work, there was a text/notification box continuously being displayed in the middle of the MSFS display. Perhaps I will try again with a more recent version of FSUIPC.

Ian Box

The thing that I miss the most is carrier landings with Tac Pac, VLSO. AI carriers, and all of my awesome military jets!!!

Mike 

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

2 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

I've never seen this, you can easily move the camera around.  I must be misunderstanding.

Everybody sees it every time they use the default external view, so yes you are misunderstanding. It is hardcoded into the game.

The default external view has the camera a bit above the center point of the aircraft and is angled downward slightly. It results in you seeing the top of your plane rather than a shot straight-on from the side like we've had forever. The angle along with the focal length and zoom of the camera is such that the horizon is at roughly 1/3 the height of your screen rather than the 1/2 that had been used for decades. This results in a more 'cinematic' style camera. No matter how you pan the camera, it remains centered on that point above the center point of the aircraft, so you can't get it to look like it used to. Often this causes the plane to get cut off on the bottom edge of the screen depending on your zoom level and pan angle.

I want the camera to be on the same height as the center point of the aircraft, be set much closer to 1x zoom, and for the camera to be further away to reduce the ultrawide look. This is the way the sim has been for decades, but for some reason they just had to change it in MSFS. The old default lets you see more of the ground, less of the sky, and have your plane way way less distorted. Make the fancy cinematic view an option, not the default.

The SDK claims you can set a DEFAULT_CHASE view that works like the old camera in the cameras.cfg of the aircraft, but this has not worked since an early alpha build in like the spring of 2020. Changing the height and angle of the camera in cameras.cfg does nothing either- it is like the default external camera is hardcoded somewhere else that can't be modified. I'm not convinced cameras.cfg does anything at all at this point. A plane will have 8 external quickviews but only 4 in the cfg file. Changing them in the file doesn't seem to do anything to any of the views in-game.

The only thing I have found that lets you get close to a view like we used to have is with track IR enabled. Even with it enabled you still do not have control over the distance of the camera from the plane so it remains distorted.

The drone camera is neat but it is not a replacement for the old spot plane view, it does not work the same way, nor does it follow the plane's movements in the same manner.

Edited by kiwikat
  • Like 3

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

1 minute ago, simaddict said:

The thing that I miss the most is carrier landings with Tac Pac, VLSO. AI carriers, and all of my awesome military jets!!!

Mike 

I just realized that the carrier that was in the coast near San Francisco in FSX is gone.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

27 minutes ago, kiwikat said:

Everybody sees it every time they use the default external view, so yes you are misunderstanding. It is hardcoded into the game.

The default external view has the camera a bit above the center point of the aircraft and is angled downward slightly. It results in you seeing the top of your plane rather than a shot straight-on from the side like we've had forever. The angle along with the focal length and zoom of the camera is such that the horizon is at roughly 1/3 the height of your screen rather than the 1/2 that had been used for decades. This results in a more 'cinematic' style camera. No matter how you pan the camera, it remains centered on that point above the center point of the aircraft, so you can't get it to look like it used to. Often this causes the plane to get cut off on the bottom edge of the screen depending on your zoom level and pan angle.

I want the camera to be on the same height as the center point of the aircraft, be set much closer to 1x zoom, and for the camera to be further away to reduce the ultrawide look. This is the way the sim has been for decades, but for some reason they just had to change it in MSFS. The old default lets you see more of the ground, less of the sky, and have your plane way way less distorted. Make the fancy cinematic view an option, not the default.

The SDK claims you can set a DEFAULT_CHASE view that works like the old camera in the cameras.cfg of the aircraft, but this has not worked since an early alpha build in like the spring of 2020. Changing the height and angle of the camera in cameras.cfg does nothing either- it is like the default external camera is hardcoded somewhere else that can't be modified. I'm not convinced cameras.cfg does anything at all at this point. A plane will have 8 external quickviews but only 4 in the cfg file. Changing them in the file doesn't seem to do anything to any of the views in-game.

The only thing I have found that lets you get close to a view like we used to have is with track IR enabled. Even with it enabled you still do not have control over the distance of the camera from the plane so it remains distorted.

The drone camera is neat but it is not a replacement for the old spot plane view, it does not work the same way, nor does it follow the plane's movements in the same manner.

So I click on the mouse button, and move the view up and down left and right and in and out in about 1 second. What's so hard about that? 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

47 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

I just realized that the carrier that was in the coast near San Francisco in FSX is gone.

Yes, when someone created a carrier at one point, I asked if they could place one there.  That carrier goes a lot further back than FSX, at least to FS5.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

1 hour ago, Rudderduck said:

LAGO Scenery Enhancer for FS9 🤣

Well in that case the LVL-D 767 (and 757)  😬

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It appears and disappears based on a schedule (time of day).

Cheers, Rob.

Seriously?

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1