Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Disable Gamma correction for better AA and less shimmering

3 hours ago, Pathfinder633 said:

Makes no sense, why not just call it gamma correction period? (as it used to be called), its not as if anyone turns of AA so its basically applied to everything anyway.

Because that would be incorrect. The setting, when on, makes gamma adjustments to the pixels around the edges of assets, where AA is applied, not the whole image.

10 hours ago, March Hare said:

Because that would be incorrect. The setting, when on, makes gamma adjustments to the pixels around the edges of assets, where AA is applied, not the whole image.

While I agree with what you are saying, if AA is on, isn't it applying it to the whole image or screen anyway?  Not just individual objects? 

In other words, I cant see how it can pick and choose objects to AA, I thought it just did the whole screen anyway.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

While I agree with what you are saying, if AA is on, isn't it applying it to the whole image or screen anyway?  Not just individual objects? 

In other words, I cant see how it can pick and choose objects to AA, I thought it just did the whole screen anyway.

Well, there are many types of AA technique, but usually the GPU is detecting the edges of objects and applying the AA effect there. Full-screen spatial types of AA process the entire image and apply extra coloured pixels by supersampling, then downsampling and retaining some of the extra pixels created in the process, usually resulting in unwanted blurriness of the whole image, so it isn't generally used now in that sense. Although some AA techniques still use spatial processing to an extent (and some only detect and apply AA to edges), they are also detecting the edges of polygonal and other objects and applying AA only to those edges. This is all simplifying and generalising, of course. The point being, though, that the GPU isn't normally throwing a bunch of pixels everywhere across the entire screen; the GPU does intelligently detect edges of assets and applies AA to the edges where "jaggies" are likely to show up. The NVIDIA AA gamma correction setting (to my knowledge) only applies gamma correction to the pixels round the edges of objects that have been altered by the AA technique, not every pixel on the screen.

Edited by March Hare
  • Like 2

Hello, cure for pixelated or grainy clouds, anyone test? 

Edited by spitzer45

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

I have a hard time believing that turning off that feature would cause CTD.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

26 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Same, tbh.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

27 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Exactly.  There are so many other CTD's going on, it would be difficult to pin it down to gamma correction.  

• Like 1

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, spitzer45 said:

Hello, cure for pixelated or grainy clouds, anyone test? 

No, but setting Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias to CLAMP helps.  Looking forward to the touted 'impressive' update to weather mentioned by Asobo, but not sure when that is.  Right now clouds need a lot of work!

• Like 2

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

No, but setting Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias to CLAMP helps.  Looking forward to the touted 'impressive' update to weather mentioned by Asobo, but not sure when that is.  Right now clouds need a lot of work!

Woh.  Changing that setting is a huge improvement.

• Like 3

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

24 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Woh.  Changing that setting is a huge improvement.

So, clamp it? 

8 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

So, clamp it? 

Yes.  

• Like 2

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

5 hours ago, Noel said:

I've always had it set to clamp globally, for all games. That's always appeared to be the ideal setting.

Also, agreed, setting AA gamma correction off would not cause a CTD, as it's not doing anything and MSFS certainly doesn't require it to be on for any reason.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:09 PM, ryanbatcund said:

I also had a CTD in the CJ4 with this setting OFF.  I flew the same route to verify with it ON (as it was) and no issues.  Not sure why it would cause a CTD but it did for me.

I had the same CTD with the CJ4 first flight after I turned this off . Strange !

Setting Clamp for me affected performance negatively for me - I did see some visual improvements in the clouds but was not worth the stutters....must be my mid range setup.   Back to Allow for me.

Edited by marcg11

I wish someone could write a comprehensive article on what all these graphics settings do. 

There is also so much conflicting information from 'experts' - such as Windows Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (HAGS) on or off, threaded optimisation on or off, CPU Hyperthreading on or off in the bios etc.  I like Flight Simulator blog and their graphics optimisation notes, but I can't even agree with everything they say on there.  The sim runs better with hyperthreading for me personally, and they say turn it off for some reason.

Some input from MS / Asobo also would be valuable on what settings they use (generically - not taking different PC performance levels into account).

Asobo work hard to get us performance gains, but a few words about how Nvidia Control Panel settings influence the sim and the performance and graphics quality, could probably influence performance just as much. 

Although, I don't even know if they have realised their terrain detail level slider wasn't working properly yet.  I haven't seen it mentioned.  Fixed for SU6 do you think? 

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 5