Sign in to follow this  
jozeff

would really like the FSL 320 SL but 210 euro's?..

3 hours ago, kevinh said:

Why should FSL reduce their prices like that? It would only upset existing customers who paid the full price.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they lowered the price of the FSL A320, and I've bought the thing not once, but twice at its full price. The money I spent is long gone from my account of course, but at the time it was money I considered worth paying for something I wanted; what someone else paid, or subsequently pays for it didn't enter into the equation as far as I was concerned, it was nothing to do with whether I personally considered it worth spending the money on, so if another customer gets it for tuppence I literally could not care less. In fact, I might even argue that a lowered price, in possibly garnering further sales, this would add some money to the FSL pot for support of the product I bought.

But having said all that, in considering the current price, I will say that you do get what you pay for with the FSL A320, because it is excellent in a lot of obvious, and many very subtle ways, so if you intend to use P3D for a while and fly it regularly and you really want to know the ins-and-outs of the real aeroplane, then you will get your money's worth out of it. However, if it is just a passing interest and you never want to simulate all kinds of emergency operations and such, you may want to consider the Black Box or Aerosoft Airbuses as suitable alternatives, which are a lot more bang for your buck and entirely okay for just flying from A to B. Failing that, if anyone wants the fidelity of the FSL aeroplane in something other than an A320, I recommend they just go and buy the Majestic Dash 8 Q400; it is the best value high fidelity airliner you can get for any platform and at the price Majestic charge for it, they're practically giving it away.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

40 minutes ago, honanhal said:

And how many copies of the Level D 767 do you think they’ve sold in the last few years?

FSL isn’t exactly in the same situation, but it is strange for the price to never come down for older software. The other day I saw that a software company was still selling the exact same piece of astronomy software from ~1993 (runs in DOS) at the exact same (high) price 30 years later. Probably not selling a lot of copies either. 🙂

James

Not strange at all. Developers are mostly sim enthusiasts trying to get some return on the thousands of hours they put into writing code, supporting it and enhancing it. FSL are constantly adding features and functionality. You get most of that free of charge.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I understand all of this. It wouldn't be fair to people who already bought the a320x and purchased the addition 2 years lafter for 60 dollars to charge new customers no extra money for the a320sl and get that particular model for 160 dollars.

It's just that this price is beyond everything I ever bought and I spent thousands of euro's in 25 years of pc hobby. It's about the same amount as xp11, msfs, p3d and fsx combined and that seems a bit excessive for 1 plane, no matter how good it is or whether or not I can afford it.

My initial question was: is there or will there be a kind of package deal for new customers to get the base model which is a couple of years old by now for about 100 euros and charge the sl version just for what it costs because it is stil relatively new?.... I guess the answer is no.

Thanks for your thoughts so far!

1 hour ago, kevinh said:

Not strange at all. Developers are mostly sim enthusiasts trying to get some return on the thousands of hours they put into writing code, supporting it and enhancing it. FSL are constantly adding features and functionality. You get most of that free of charge.

Sure, as far as it goes (free of charge? Pretty sure they all price ongoing development into costs, or at any rate they should). But none of that exempts them from the rules of the market. They’d get still more return for their efforts if a lower product price over time meant their net sales were higher. No one is saying they should drop prices as a favor to their customers, just that it would be smarter business for them.

You’re right that flight sim addons, as a market, has an unusually large number of “amateur” (in the best sense of the word — the Latin root of which is “love”) development outfits. So what then to make of the fact that it’s one of the few software markets that doesn’t drop prices as software ages? To be honest, I think “flight sim enthusiasts and software engineers may not always have great business acumen” is a more plausible takeaway than “every other software market is doing it wrong,” but that’s just me…

James

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Seems to me FS Labs A320 is priced very similarly to the PMDG 747 and 777, and to a certain extent the add-ons to the base products are comparable in price. And in many ways, FSL is more robust than the PMDG (GSX integration, ACARS, that sort of thing). 

• Upvote 3

I haven't ever seen anybody regret spending the money on the FSLabs Airbus.

You get what you pay for. If you don't wanna pay for it, don't buy it. It's really that simple.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Might spring for the Aerosoft Airbus in a moment of weakness. It didn't take long for me to figure out most of the FSLabs Airbus I bought was just wasted on someone with ADHD. But everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It's not like it's something you need to live like coffee or fast internet.

On 10/10/2021 at 6:54 PM, jozeff said:

An addon that costs 3 times as much as the complete simulator

With such a reasoning, each and every add-on is way too expensive....
I'm pretty sure that if the FSLabs bus (or any other add-on for that matter) would sell as much as Flight Simulator, they would sell it to you for only 21.00 euros or even less...

Edited by Egbert Drenth

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I'm not saying it isn't worth it. I'm just saying that i find 210 euro pretty steep for 1 plane and relatively expensive compared to all the other stuff I bought since 1995.

I bet there are people who'd pay 2000 euro for it and others might think 20 bucks is too much. I only speak on behalf of myself.

I respect all your opinions and find them rather interesting though😁

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I fully understand what you mean.

In my case I first bought the Aerosoft Airbus line and flown it for years but with every update they did i liked it less.
A friend was flying the FSLabs since years and was always telling how nice it is.

I was thinking month if I should buy the whole series or not. Also cause MSFS has arrived and I was not sure how I will proceed but after a while looking into MSFS it was quit clear that P3D v5 will stay much more longer my main sim. 🙂

After that, I bougth the A320 first to see how the FPS are with FSLabs cause its known that the FPS are not soo good.
There was not a real FPS impact at the beginning (P3D 5.1) but after 5.2 something happens and the Impact is much higher ans before but anyway. I have 35-40FPS on MAJOR Airports like EDDF (which is my testing airport cause its OLD and not optimied for P3D v5 :D)

Finalized I wont like to miss any minute I have spend in the Cockpit of the FSLabs, the ATSU function is absolutely gorgeous and the included CPDLC functions are really nice.

"You get what you pay for" is absolutely correct for the FSLabs. For my taste you get the "Ferrari" of the Airbus add-on for P3D. It's not just "1 Airplane", it's the entire package that you get. Everything about this aircraft is handmade, like the effects or sounds or that you can control the volume of VATSIM sound through the radio panel (absolutely nice)

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

Ok, I'm seriously considering buying the thing. Have to persuade the misses though. How do I convince her to agree to me spending this money in the virtual world. Honey, I need this plane because uhh,..haha, western world problems I guess

Cheers

Jozeff

I bought the full Aerosoft bus pack and also the FSLabs A320 base pack. 

I might be in the minority on this but if you want the full package (319-321, SL), then I simply cannot see where the value lies in the FSLabs version for how much more you are going to need to pay for it. 

Is the FSLabs version better? Yes, no question.

Is it hundreds of dollars better? Not in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jozeff said:

Ok, I'm seriously considering buying the thing. Have to persuade the misses though. How do I convince her to agree to me spending this money in the virtual world. Honey, I need this plane because uhh,..haha, western world problems I guess

Cheers

Jozeff

Go ahead and get your plane. Apologizing is easier then getting permission.   Besides, making up can be some of the sweetest times in a marriage. 

Vic green

7 hours ago, Patco Lch said:
12 hours ago, jozeff said:

Go ahead and get your plane. Apologizing is easier then getting permission.   Besides, making up can be some of the sweetest times in a marriage. 

Haha,  you guys are great. A lot of experienced add-on buying husbands here I guess

9 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Worth every dime/euro.

Ok, if Mr Ainscough says it i certainly have to  buy the plane. I've been reading your comments and advice for years!

cheers

Jozeff

4 hours ago, Patco Lch said:

Apologizing is easier then getting permission

Last famous words...😄
(laying in the hospital)

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11