Sign in to follow this  
jozeff

would really like the FSL 320 SL but 210 euro's?..

On 10/14/2021 at 1:29 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

That’s news to me. Maybe I missed a statement in the Announcements section. Care to provide a link? They said shortly after MSFS was made public they would only do one 64-bit Concorde. I’ve seen nothing to change that.

Er, yes they do. I know one programmer who has given up their day job and is 100% employed by FSL.

I thought they had Ray. They were involved with the failed Dovetail 64 bit platform so I'd be very surprised if they didn't develop for MSFS. They certainly haven't ruled it out. I didn't see the Concorde announcement you refer to, but plans change in this industry on a regular basis so what they ruled out in 2020 may be back on the cards in the future. I was just musing about what might be possible, in relation to the topic which is the price of FSL's products.

As Michael said there's a menu for MSFS in the Control Center (though not one for P3Dv5) so it's a very strong hint it's in the current plan (but it might quietly disappear if that changes 😉). Not a definitive statement of course, but this isn't an official forum.

I didn't say no one was employed by FSL, but do you really think all the design team are 100% paid employees? Most work in their spare time as far as I'm aware. Given how many years the A320-X took to develop we're lucky that's the case.

Edited by kevinh

ki9cAAb.jpg

6 hours ago, kevinh said:

I didn't say no one was employed by FSL, but do you really think all the design team are 100% paid employees? Most work in their spare time as far as I'm aware.

I would think that softare developers are paid for all their work. Is it true that there are volunteers at work on a high end product like fsl320? I have no idea how this really works.

I can only imagine how many thousands of hours went into this product.

Well, my initial question was why this plane is so expensive and it turned into an interesting discussion.  Thanks for all the input guys (and girls maybe ;))

I have decided to buy this plane + sl version + avioworx cdu (couldn't get spacedesk to work)

Appreciate it.

cheers

Jozeff

@kevinh,

I can only say what one employee told me at Cosford in October 2019. He was working 100% for FSL. No others were mentioned.

They may well be planning for MSFS but have made no official announcement on their forum. As for Concorde there have only been the odd sentence at the end of Airbus announcements. Nothing of any substance.

Why they won’t even show screenshots is baffling but like it or not that’s their policy.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 10/12/2021 at 9:42 PM, honanhal said:

they've already got a credible competitor who's promising to raise the Airbus bar at the same time as they cut the price in half -- oh, and release in the next few months.

Plus a freeware mod that’s everyday getting better aiming to reach a high fidelity level.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

On 10/11/2021 at 9:13 AM, honanhal said:

And how many copies of the Level D 767 do you think they’ve sold in the last few years?

FSL isn’t exactly in the same situation, but it is strange for the price to never come down for older software. The other day I saw that a software company was still selling the exact same piece of astronomy software from ~1993 (runs in DOS) at the exact same (high) price 30 years later. Probably not selling a lot of copies either. 🙂

James

I am curious to know which astronomy software this is.....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I am curious to know which astronomy software this is.....

Cristopher, you'll be pleased to know (you've reminded me!) it's in fact thanks to you that I read about Dance of the Planets when you mentioned it in a thread here. 🙂

https://arcscience.com/dance-of-the-planets/

$75, comes on CD-ROM. "A most singular PC planetarium program. DOS legacy software last updated in 1994. Remarkably, we still sell it. The reason is that even still, it’s the only real time animation of the solar system brought to life on the screen by simulating gravity. It is the most complex working model of the solar system ever created."

On 10/17/2021 at 9:08 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

@kevinh,

I can only say what one employee told me at Cosford in October 2019. He was working 100% for FSL. No others were mentioned.

They may well be planning for MSFS but have made no official announcement on their forum. As for Concorde there have only been the odd sentence at the end of Airbus announcements. Nothing of any substance.

Why they won’t even show screenshots is baffling but like it or not that’s their policy.

Ray,

It would be nice if they were more definite but Lefteris is playing his cards close to his chest. Anyway that's a matter for the official forum. Not this thread. What I said in passing about Concorde was just speculation on my part.

• Like 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

On 10/17/2021 at 7:13 AM, jozeff said:

I would think that softare developers are paid for all their work. Is it true that there are volunteers at work on a high end product like fsl320? I have no idea how this really works.

I can only imagine how many thousands of hours went into this product.

Well, my initial question was why this plane is so expensive and it turned into an interesting discussion.  Thanks for all the input guys (and girls maybe ;))

I have decided to buy this plane + sl version + avioworx cdu (couldn't get spacedesk to work)

Appreciate it.

cheers

Jozeff

Hi Jozeff,

They're all enthusiasts, that's why they are prepared to put in the hours in their spare time. I expect they all get a share of sales revenue but as you say it's likely that thousands of hours are involved and that would be a huge cost at typical software developer rates.

You might want to start with just the A320 base model. When the sharklets expansion was released FSL said the EFB will eventually be added to the non SL versions in a future update (no timescale was given though). So you could end up getting the EFB at no extra cost. The EFB is a useful addition but not central to the simulation.

ki9cAAb.jpg

1 hour ago, kevinh said:

Ray,

It would be nice if they were more definite but Lefteris is playing his cards close to his chest. Anyway that's a matter for the official forum. Not this thread. What I said in passing about Concorde was just speculation on my part.

Kevin, I’m convinced that if you wrote to MI5 / MI6 you’d get more info out of them as to what their current priorities are. Even asking on their forum will get you nowhere and some posts have been removed. Apart from what Andrew said earlier on another topic the wall of silence remains intact.

We’re all free to speculate. 😉

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

while i´m waiting for the p3d v5 concorde I watch Airport 80 The Concorde 🙂

• Upvote 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

On 10/10/2021 at 9:14 AM, fluffyflops said:

You get what you pay for in life. 

In my opinion it's worth every penny. 

We would all like a ferrari but sometimes we can only afford a Ford focus. 

Do a bit of overtime, don't buy steak for a few weeks, if you don't want to splash  out on the fsl, then I suggest you waste less money on the inferior aerosoft bus or the flight factor 320

I stopped worrying about high prices for flight simulation software after taking a look at a code block for flight physics modeling in the SDK for MSFS. These guys deserve the money. Here's a link if you're the curious type...

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/index.htm#t=Additional_Information%2FFlight_Model_Physics.htm&rhsearch=depth&rhhlterm=depth

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

On 10/17/2021 at 6:08 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

@kevinh,

There are quite a few screenshots of the Concorde in the Control center app startup pages...multiple.

Given the highly competitive and these days cutthroat marketplace im not surprised they are not telling anyone anything until they are well and truly ready.

Do you want to give any competitor information that can change dev plans or rates or targets?

Why tell the community anything on development plans on a serious level?

It makes zero difference on sales and only needs to satisfy curiosity and give away information that competitors can use against you.

It really only takes 2-3 weeks of streaming to reach a huge level of pre release hype so why give away your plans for no return?

The Airbus narrow body market has gone from no competition to plenty in only a few years. Now even though at the moment none get anywhere near the fidelity of systems accuracy or reproduction of what a pilot experiences in a day to day operation the FSlabs(i spent 16 years flying real A320/321/330 so very closely know its systems as a ground trainer) that means little with new competitors trying to get products working in msfs ie Fenix.

With the Asobo debacle of msfs with constantly changing platform, flight model, visuals, now 64bit im glad im not a dev!

• Like 2

Darren Howie

1 hour ago, DEHowie said:

There are quite a few screenshots of the Concorde in the Control center app startup pages...multiple.

But nothing on their website. So Airbus customers can see them but us Concorde owners can’t. Hmmm.

Do you want to give any competitor information that can change dev plans or rates or targets?

There is no serious competitor to the FSL Concorde. There is a 64-bit Concorde already available for P3D but it’s rarely discussed. The modelling and systems don’t come close to the FSL 32-bit version.

It makes zero difference on sales and only needs to satisfy curiosity and give away information that competitors can use against you.

They have no serious competition.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

This topic is way off course.

The OP wanted buying advice but the topic has turned into a Concorde discussion.

Ray, I am surprised at this when you are also a moderator!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

I stopped worrying about high prices for flight simulation software after taking a look at a code block for flight physics modeling in the SDK for MSFS. These guys deserve the money. Here's a link if you're the curious type...

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/index.htm#t=Additional_Information%2FFlight_Model_Physics.htm&rhsearch=depth&rhhlterm=depth

While I agree the effort warrants the price my problem is investing that much in a Sim that I am using less and less and the future seems less than clear for.  Came back yesterday to do a flight in the QW787 and despite how much I love that plane the sim around it really shows it's age when you've been using the "other" sim for a while.   At that price I can't imagine they are having much of a "rush" on sales.  Forget about existing customers, drop the price 50% and try to give people a reason to come back...  Sales happen all the time especially after something has been out for a few years, most companies don't worry about those that already purchased, they have their money already LOL. 

Once Fenix and PMDG release for MSFS I would guess FSL would be lucky to sell a few more copies at best... 

24 minutes ago, norman s said:

This topic is way off course.

The OP wanted buying advice but the topic has turned into a Concorde discussion.

Ray, I am surprised at this when you are also a moderator!!!

Hehe. Ray has a bit of a personal obsession with the FSL Concorde.  I think everyone on the forum knows it by now.  Pretty sure you will find a comment on the Concorde every time FSL is brought up 😉  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg