Sign in to follow this  
airservices

community folder

When is this mob going to fix the problem when every time we get a update we loose our community content ?

1 hour ago, airservices said:

When is this mob going to fix the problem when every time we get a update we loose our community content ?

Why are you losing your community content?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

40 minutes ago, Car147 said:

Why are you losing your community content?

Well if we have a update I seem to either loose all my aircraft and scenery in my community folder don't know why the last major update we had my community folder was empty after the update

Never heard of that issue before. Any update should have no affect on the community folder at all.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

23 minutes ago, airservices said:

Well if we have a update I seem to either loose all my aircraft and scenery in my community folder don't know why the last major update we had my community folder was empty after the update

That's a strange one.  It looks like MSFS might have changed the install location, as it has no permission at all to delete all the stuff in your community folder.  

My thoughts are you have two community folders now, with one somewhere else with all of your stuff in it.  If so, it should be a simple task to drag it all over to the new one.

Still  not sure why the install location would change though unless you have logged in under different credentials maybe?

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

You would avoid yourself a lot of trouble if you were using Add-on-Linker freeware, your add-ons would be safe outside of MSFS!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

2 hours ago, Bernard Ducret said:

You would avoid yourself a lot of trouble if you were using Add-on-Linker freeware, your add-ons would be safe outside of MSFS!

I don't know about this, yet another product to help us download and install non-MSFS addons. I have now been trying for three days to install Flightsim.to's EGSU Duxford freeware. I have finally found my Community folder, but when I follow instructions and unzip and install it, even though there is a folder called EGSU in the Community folder, when I startup the sim the new airfield is not there. (It shows in the Content Manager, but when you start a flight there, it is the default airfield, not the freeware one.)  I also used a product (freeware) called ModManFX  which claims to be an easy to use tool to install freeware addons, it didn't work. And I am sceptical that Add-on-Linker freeware that you mention will work as a straightforward tool to do this. I am glad that payware companies like Justflight and PMDG have tools that easily install their products. I know that Fligmtsim.to is a freeware outfit, but I really think that they should put some thought into an easy to use tool to install these products. I would be glad to pay for it.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

2 hours ago, Bernard Ducret said:

Fully agree.  Have been using it faithfully since its first release.  Note however that if the reported issues are due to installation of MSFS into a second location then that Community folder's path would still need to be located and configured into the Addons Linker.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

@AviatorMan you might be already aware of what i write here, but i write anyway because sometimes what seems easy for someone might not be evident for others, so if all is already known just skip and sorry for the wasted time ☺️

i guess you have downloaded the file called --> EGSU DuxfordPackage_3pKFc.rar

When you unzip you get the following folder structure

EGSU DuxfordPackage
    --> EGSU Duxford Airlfield
         --> AirportServices
         --> CGL
         --> ContentInfo
         --> <other folders>

The one you need to put in your community folder is EGSU Duxford Airlfield, if you put the first level of folder 'EGSU Duxford Airlfield' in your community folder it will NOT work

sometimes images easier than words

cxkGrp9.png

EeV9quI.png

maybe it's not that though, just my first idea.

1 hour ago, AviatorMan said:

I know that Fligmtsim.to is a freeware outfit, but I really think that they should put some thought into an easy to use tool to install these products. I would be glad to pay for it.

Addons Linker should be fairly easy to use (tried my best) but it's probably not for everyone either and there is no manual so that doesn't help 🙊, other tools probably do pretty much the same and might be a bit more professional, the idea is more to organize your addons as you wish and where to wish on your disk (instead of having to drop everything on the same level on the community folder), it will not download anything, maybe check some videos first if you are interested, there are some of them linked in the addon description.

As for the 'it's free so it's might not be very good' (i simplify voluntarily because it's not exactly what you said 😛) i think you should reconsider, there are a lot of freeware stuff for which authors have spent a lot more time on that some of the cheap things you can find as payware especially since MSFS came (some probably saw a good source for easy cash-making, this game has millions of users), Flightsim.to is filled with amazing stuff, really, and that Duxford addon is a good example it seems.

Feel free to recontact me if you try it and need help, as a rule of thumb try it first with only a few addons to make sure it works before moving stuff around.

🍺

Edited by Bad_T
typos, typos
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

then that Community folder's path would still need to be located and configured into the Addons Linker.

The Addons Linker is pretty good at locating the Community folder, without any help 😉

Bert

3 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

And I am sceptical that Add-on-Linker freeware that you mention will work as a straightforward tool to do this.

You might be surprised... it is certainly easier than attempting to do it by hand. 🙂

Bert

3 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

I don't know about this, yet another product to help us download and install non-MSFS addons. I have now been trying for three days to install Flightsim.to's EGSU Duxford freeware. I have finally found my Community folder, but when I follow instructions and unzip and install it, even though there is a folder called EGSU in the Community folder, when I startup the sim the new airfield is not there.

Install:

Extract the "gobby-duxford" folder to your /Community/ folder. It's probably the folder below EGSU.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

43 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

The Addons Linker is pretty good at locating the Community folder, without any help 😉

Even if there are two Community folders? (Different locations?)

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

27 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Even if there are two Community folders? (Different locations?)

You should only have one community folder, and Add on linker have both the MS och Steam version paths ready to chose when you set up it for the first time.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

12 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

My thoughts are you have two community folders now, with one somewhere else with all of your stuff in it.  If so, it should be a simple task to drag it all over to the new one.

4 hours ago, fppilot said:

Note however that if the reported issues are due to installation of MSFS into a second location then that Community folder's path would still need to be located and configured into the Addons Linker.

8 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

You should only have one community folder, and Add on linker have both the MS och Steam version paths ready to chose when you set up it for the first time.

I am aware of that.  However I believe you did not read the entire thread here

Frank Patton
ASUS