Sign in to follow this  
airservices

community folder

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

I am curious.. when you go to the MSFS location on the C drive, do you see links in the folders below?

Here is my situation, as created by MS:

ZSxMtE9.jpg

If I follow the LocalCache link, I end up on my dedicated MSFS drive (which is not entirely obvious in File Explorer)

However, if you check the Properties of the Microsoft.FlightSimulator folder, you will see that the total size is only 4 MB or so.

So, pointing an installer to the C drive, results in the addon content being installed on the dedicated MSFS drive! 😉

Not specifically to step in here but...  I installed via Steam to a second drive (not C:), when that was done MS did make the directory you see above.  However, during the install, per the dialog question, I made the second drive the community folder drive.  After that, I deleted the directory show above as it was a default part for the install action only, and never accessed after the redirect via Steam.  Never had a problem.  Anyways, that what I have for my Steam install.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

1 hour ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Anyways, that what I have for my Steam install.

I do suspect that a Steam install is different..

Bert

I have the same installation as yours Bert, all my folders on the Community C drive are links, except two: FSUIPC and PMDG DC6 which I did install in the Community folder on my E drive, but they are on the C drive as well as folders and their full content of 1.13 MB and 4.77 GB respectively.

In my Community folder on E drive, I have exactly the same folders and links (from Add-on-Linker). Thus this tends to confirm that regardless which Community folder we select, we will have a duplication of files. 

Edited by Bernard Ducret

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

1 hour ago, Bernard Ducret said:

Thus this tends to confirm that regardless which Community folder we select, we will have a duplication of files. 

I do not think so... you will see the files, regardless of which drive you look on, but they only exist on your designated drive.

The C drive folders in the FlightSimulator folder are links, not "real folders".

Check the size of the FlightSimulator folder on both drives..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

46 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I do not think so... you will see the files, regardless of which drive you look on, but they only exist on your designated drive.

The C drive folders in the FlightSimulator folder are links, not "real folders".

Check the size of the FlightSimulator folder on both drives..

Good morning Bert just checked my C drive and I have the same as you have at the moment they are just links I still have 35 gig to go before full install my F drive is going well at the moment I will see by lunch time should be finished downloading then

8 hours ago, Bernard Ducret said:

Thus this tends to confirm that regardless which Community folder we select, we will have a duplication of files. 

This is an erroneous and misleading statement on my part, although I do have a duplication (on C and E drives) of my two full files (FSUIPC and PMDG DC6), there is a good reason for that: Three months ago I was unable to download liveries for my DC6 with the PMDG OC due to the long pathway on my E drive, the OC was aborting the installation each time. Hence I had to change the path to my C drive Community folder where liveries could be downloaded. As a result I have a duplication of the DC6 folder, FSUIPC was updated at the same time.

Normally I should only have links on the C drive Community folder. 

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

13 hours ago, Bernard Ducret said:

Normally I should only have links on the C drive Community folder. 

Have another look... it is not the C drive Community folder that you should examine, it is the LocalCache folder, two levels above it.     It is likely a junction link to the E drive.   It that case anything you see in the Community folder on the C drive is not actually there..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

10 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

It is likely a junction link to the E drive. 

It is precisely in that "folder" that you find the UserCfg.opt in which you have the last line defining the location of your MSFS and Add-ons packages...

Bernard

On 10/11/2021 at 12:48 PM, airservices said:

When is this mob going to fix the problem when every time we get a update we loose our community content ?

The most important action before updating the simulator is to empty your community folder, very very critical 

39 minutes ago, georgiosgiannoukos said:

The most important action before updating the simulator is to empty your community folder, very very critical 

or  you can  simply  renane  your  folder

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

If I have to empty my community folder every time MSFS has a update this is a bit crazy how can I keep everything in my community folder without having to re install everything ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

or  you can  simply  renane  your  folder

Thanks mate that is what I was looking for 👍

• Like 1

I have installed all updates and never moved or renamed my Community folder and the two payware addons that I have purchased are still there. So it seems we don't have to do anything to the Community folder doesn't it??

• Like 1

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

5 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

I have installed all updates and never moved or renamed my Community folder and the two payware addons that I have purchased are still there. So it seems we don't have to do anything to the Community folder doesn't it??

No, you don’t. The necessity of emptying the C folder is sort of an urban legend. Voodoo insurance policy.

Some addons will probably crash the sim after the first start post update but they would too anyway if you had them  off C and then back during the update. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, georgiosgiannoukos said:

Why is that "the most important action" if the update process is going to empty it anyway?