😕 First World problems.

Evga 3090 FTW3

32 GB OF sexy GSkill RAM

Viewing distance about 28 inches.

What do you think monitor maestros.

With a 3090 it has to be 4K. Budget and maximum screen size please.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

This is using X-Plane, another one of his videos he is using MSFS2020. I'm waiting too see if LG releases a 43"

Edited by MartinRex007

On 10/14/2021 at 1:31 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

With a 3090 it has to be 4K. Budget and maximum screen size please.

Well my viewing distance is only 28 inches. The screen size would be optimum for the resolution I chose. I do not want to detect pixels or have issues with miniscule text text on screen in older titles. If 4K I'm thinking something like 32 inches. 1440P more like 27 inches.

Wouldn't want to go above 500 quid. 

Not sure it has to be 4K. I like high frame rate and refresh rate. I'm one of these individuals that's sensitive to low frame rate, and can most definitely see the difference between 60 and 30 FPS. 

It will be mostly games, may dive into the sim again after a long break. 4K with many titles on ultra settings is around 60 FPS. Not sure what FS2020 would be but I suspected on high settings, with demanding scenery and weather quite a bit lower. 

At this point after some r4esercah I'm thinking 1440P 27 inches. 

Martin, the 3090 is the most powerful graphics card currently available. To use it at anything less than 4K would be a waste of its potential.

Viewing a 4K 32” screen at that distance wouldn’t be a problem and you’re not going to see individual pixels. There are 8.5 million of them!

Windows 10 handles text just fine. A slider is provided to increase it if necessary. I’ve never had a problem with my BenQ in 3 years.

No game is as demanding as MSFS or P3D. You’ll easily get 60fps in games. In MSFS or P3D you may have to lower settings at complex airports to achieve 60fps. Even with that card compromises have to be made in flight sims.

500GBP is not much when compared to the cost of the 3090. A good monitor will last many years and should be considered an investment. I would have suggested a VSync monitor but that would cost a lot more than 500GBP.

Here’s an independent site with some of the better ones some of which are 27”.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-4k-monitors

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

At this point after some r4esercah I'm thinking 1440P 27 inches. 

WHAT! 27" Its time to buy a new monitor and you look at 27" for a flightsim computer? Are you not feeling well?

Look my wife just got a monitor for like $350USD its a LG 34" ultrawide has HDR and Freesync and it works perfectly fine with G-sync. and makes P3D or MSFS very smooth. How do I know? Cause I stole it for a weekend to try it out. Now how can you go wrong with that. Trust me once you have that much screen to enjoy you are not going back to something like a 27". I know a lot of people recommend 4k and that's fine too, but once you go ultrawide....

Edited by TurboKen

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

16 hours ago, TurboKen said:

Look my wife just got a monitor for like $350USD its a LG 34" ultrawide has HDR and Freesync and it works perfectly fine with G-sync. and makes P3D or MSFS very smooth. 

I like the idea of 34", I "borrowed" my work Philips 34" 1440P and it was pretty awesome.  One question though, which I will also explore myself.  I think the LG is gsync compatible, right?  So your FPS have to make the minimum screen refresh rate?  What rate is that for your LG?  I'd prefer a freesync based on price and a wider choice, that said I'd be concerned about making the minimum frame rate required in certain scenarios.

Simon

19 hours ago, TurboKen said:

WHAT! 27" Its time to buy a new monitor and you look at 27" for a flightsim computer? Are you not feeling well?

Where did I say its a flight sim computer? I said I might adopt flight sim again after a long break. I also said its primarily games. 

19 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Martin, the 3090 is the most powerful graphics card currently available. To use it at anything less than 4K would be a waste of its potential.

Yes Ray, I know how powerful my card is. 🙂 It depends on how much we value high frame rate. 

I guess you guys disagree with the following statement at 5:57 in the video.

"I would hands down take the higher frame rate 1440p experience (134 FPS) over 4k 60 FPS, for pretty much any game, any day of the week." 

Seamless 4k play at 144 -165mhz, even with a 3090, isn't guaranteed. 

I appreciate your comments. If  the statement above is wrong, tell me why. 🙂 Remember my priority is games, like BF 2042 in beta at the moment for example, and new FPS titles to be released that will be demanding.

Frame rate in BF2042 on Ultra setting is a fraction over 60 FPS. And 60 is my minimum requirement. Believe it or not serious gamers even today favour just 1080P, preferring the fast response time and high refresh rate, frame rate etc. Rather than glossy visuals. 

Edited by martin-w

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Remember my priority is games,

That, in a nutshell, is your quandary. If you want a monitor to play the type of games mentioned in the video go with his recommendation of a 140Hz 1440p monitor.

But if you want a monitor for flight sim the priorities are the exact opposite. As low a refresh rate as you can get. Usually 30Hz. Why? Because you’ll never get 150fps in flight sim except when viewing a clear blue sky and nothing else. And your graphics card will be working flat out unless you can lower that refresh rate.

A 32” or larger display that supports 30Hz is ideal for flight sim. The resolution depends on the graphics card. A 1080 is fine for 1920*1080. A 2080Ti or 3090 is fine for 4K.

Ideally you’d buy two monitors one for games, one for flight sim. GSync is useful for both but outside your budget. The decision is yours.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

20 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If you want a monitor to play the type of games mentioned in the video go with his recommendation of a 140Hz 1440p monitor.

Seems that way. That would be Games priority, and occasional simming... maybe.

20 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

A 32” or larger display that supports 30Hz is ideal for flight sim.

I used to run FSX on a 1080P monitor, that had a 144 Hz refresh rate, and that was with all frame rate limiters off. And yet it was super smooth. That fact caused more than one heated debate at the time. That was when the 60 Hz and half refresh rate thing was popular. I enjoyed being different and opposing the wisdom at the time. 😺

useful for both but outside your budget. 

Not necessarily Ray. I said I wouldn't want to spend more than 500 quid, doesn't mean I can't. Knowing me I may well end up spending more than initially proposed.  

Edited by martin-w

I used to run FSX on a 1080P monitor, that had a 144 Hz refresh rate, and that was with all frame rate limiters off. And yet it was super smooth. That fact caused more than one heated debate at the time. That was when the 60 Hz and half refresh rate thing was popular.

Not at a 3rd party Heathrow I bet with overcast weather and plenty of Ai. Not trying to be argumentative but a system is only as good as its most demanding scenario.

Not necessarily Ray. I said I wouldn't want to spend more than 500 quid, doesn't mean I can't. Knowing me I may well end up spending more than initially proposed. 

In that case a GSync monitor would be ideal.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Not at a 3rd party Heathrow I bet with overcast weather and plenty of Ai. Not trying to be argumentative but a system is only as good as its most demanding scenario.

Yep, very true. I didn't go too crazy with scenary and settings. 

Edited by martin-w

On 10/16/2021 at 7:51 AM, flying_w said:

I like the idea of 34", I "borrowed" my work Philips 34" 1440P and it was pretty awesome.  One question though, which I will also explore myself.  I think the LG is gsync compatible, right?  So your FPS have to make the minimum screen refresh rate?  What rate is that for your LG?  I'd prefer a freesync based on price and a wider choice, that said I'd be concerned about making the minimum frame rate required in certain scenarios.

Simon

That's correct I am using an RTX3090 so G-sync and it worked perfectly fine. If I'm not using 30FPS lock I can get 50-55 FPS in P3D V5. When I was using V4 I would try to maintain a 30FPS minimum at the most demanding locations. This kept it smooth at all times.

I only had the monitor for a day, as it is attached to my wife's computer. Mine is similar but does not have g-sync or HDR. But my next monitor will have that for sure and be larger. 40-42" range I hope.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

20 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yep, very true. I didn't go too crazy with scenary and settings. 

Well Martin at the end of the day let us know what you went with and how you like it. 😉 

14 hours ago, TurboKen said:

Well Martin at the end of the day let us know what you went with and how you like it. 😉 

Most certainly will do.

I've had most of the components sitting on the floor by my current PC for months. Just need monitor, case and cooler. 

Haven't really been motivated to build, as in a rented place at the moment and was waiting till we find a house and move in. Trouble is, house prices here are horrendous and in short supply. Looks like I'll just have to get on with it.