Sign in to follow this  
rexbo47

Endless "Checking for Updates screen" Sim won't load.

Hi Y’all, I 'm in need of some friendly advice on the best instrument to use for doing fine adjustments on a PC running MSFS. Yesterday I downloaded and installed some freeware aircraft and the “Nordics” update from MS. Now when I go to load the sim, I get an endless “Checking for Updates” screen, and the sim will not load. I’ve disabled the freeware but to no avail, leaving me in need of advice on the proper adjustment tool. At present, my options are as follows 1) Double bit Woodsmans axe 2) 8 lb. Splitting Maul 3) Stihl 18" Chain Saw w/carbon steel blade. 4) 00 Buckshot delivered via Remington 870 12ga. pump. Ideally, 1/2 pound of C4 would do the job nicely but it’s just not practical in my neighborhood. All suggestions considered. Any help is appreciated.
So much for my warped sense of humor. Any help with the issue at hand is appreciated.
Thanks, Rex

sounds like  to  got  a  addon  in your  community  folder  thats not up  to  date,  remove  one  by  one  till  you find  the culpit

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The easy way to prove this is to rename your community folder to community.backup.

On next load, MSFS will make a new community folder that is empty.  If it loads, you definitely know there was something in the community folder causing it.
You can then drag your items from community.backup to your new community folder in batches, and you can trace it that way.
First time MSFS hangs on checking for updates again, you know it was something incompatible in the last batch you moved over.

I would limit yourself to items you only really need, and even then, see if there is an update from flightsim.to, as lots of items are incompatible with SU5. 
You need to either find an SU5 update (all items on flightsim.to are now compatible unless flagged), or ditch that object completely until it is updated.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Resolved!
The problem was indeed with one of several items in Community folder. 
Once I isolate the offending file I'll send it to cyber hades.
Thanks!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rexbo47 said:

Resolved!
The problem was indeed with one of several items in Community folder. 
Once I isolate the offending file I'll send it to cyber hades.
Thanks!

Yes, and please report back on here as it may be useful to others having problems. :smile:

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

The offending file was a Luftwaffe variant of the JU-52, "Ju 52 4V+HL." The file contained a corrupt Manifest.JSON file. It has been corrected at Flightsim.TO according to the publisher. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, rexbo47 said:

The offending file was a Luftwaffe variant of the JU-52, "Ju 52 4V+HL." The file contained a corrupt Manifest.JSON file. It has been corrected at Flightsim.TO according to the publisher. 

Excellent!  Thanks for reporting that - useful! 
I have downloaded most of the Ju-52 repaints myself, but luckily, not installed all of them yet.  That one might have been in my batch as well.

Edit:  This is the one. 
https://flightsim.to/file/21941/ju-52-4v-hl
Commentary on the problem is at the bottom of the page.  Interesting.  He accidentally left some brackets off in the manifest and it brought MSFS to its knees! :rolleyes:

Edited by bobcat999