Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

GeForce driver 496.13 is out!

Although there is nothing MSFS related in the changelog, this driver allows to customize the size of the shader cache. 

Moreover the annoying bug related to square pixels appearing when panning the view at resolution scale higher than 100 seems gone.

I tested it briefly with MSFS and everything looks good and smooth.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/181095/en-us

Give it a try!

Cheers

P.S. With this release, Windows 8.x and older versions are no longer supported.

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I noticed that in the Windows Disk Cleanup app it shows an option to delete the "DirectX Shader Cache".   To the right it shows the size of the  current cache.

I just deleted it,  but forgot to notice how big it was first.   I think I'm just going to set a 1gb limit for now,  and see how much it populates.   Right now I'm only playing FS2020,  but I also spend time in War Thunder.    I've read reports of some games being over 600mb and the cache ends up being constantly overwritten with users that play multiple games.      

Keeping the shaders cached should improve startup times and reduced stuttering for some users.    It would help if the Nv CP listed the default cache size,   I haven't noticed it anywhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Keeping the shaders cached should improve startup times and reduced stuttering for some users.    It would help if the Nv CP listed the default cache size,   I haven't noticed it anywhere.

According to Reddit the default size is 1 GB.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

If you have an Nvidia based card, does a 'G-Sync Enabled' text appear on the left side of your MSFS screen when you have G-Sync enabled in Nvidia Control Panel (right click on your Windows desktop), Set up G-SYNC (under Display in the Control Panel), 'Enable for windowed and full screen mode' is selected?

It does on mine, and I can't get rid of it. I'm using Driver version 456.71.

Edited by bofhlusr

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

36 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

If you have an Nvidia based card, does a 'G-Sync Enabled' text appear on the left side of your MSFS screen when you have G-Sync enabled in Nvidia Control Panel (right click on your Windows desktop), Set up G-SYNC (under Display in the Control Panel), 'Enable for windowed and full screen mode' is selected?

I think there’s a setting somewhere in NVCP to display that message when gsync is active. Sorry, not at PC right now.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

9 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

I just deleted it,  but forgot to notice how big it was first. 

124 Meg on mine and I have quite a few games other than Flight Sim installed.

• Like 1

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

I'm a little hesitant in updating it to 496.13, as I haven't had one single CTD since I've been on 472.12 and Win11.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI VENTUS 3x OC RTX 3070 8 GB, 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz, 1 TB NVMe SSD, 1 TB HDD, Sharp 43" 4KTV

6 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

Download nVidia profile inspector, this is the setting you have to turn off:

image.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ranold said:

I'm a little hesitant in updating it to 496.13, as I haven't had one single CTD since I've been on 472.12 and Win11.

My take on latest drivers, " If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Has worked for me for many years. 

• Like 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

38 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

My take on latest drivers, " If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Has worked for me for many years. 

Exactly my philosophy with drivers. That said, I couldn’t open NVCP this week to turn AA gamma correction off so I updated the other day to 472.12 before this driver came out. Was on 456.71 prior. New driver working well. 

I usually wait a few days and watch these threads for any "don't do it!" warnings and if it seems quiet I happily update. I trust the engineers and the optimizations that possibly come with them.

1 hour ago, NismoRR said:

Exactly my philosophy with drivers. That said, I couldn’t open NVCP this week to turn AA gamma correction off so I updated the other day to 472.12 before this driver came out. Was on 456.71 prior. New driver working well. 

NVCP could really use some innovation... it's sluggish, has deprecated and unclear settings inside, and this Windows XP graphics is really outdated.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Windows 11 Final represents a shift to a new gpu driver model,   WDDM 3.0.    Which means that users are likely to see some variation until the pace of win 11 driver development settles down.

Edited by Waldo Pepper

39 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Windows 11 Final represents a shift to a new gpu driver model,   WDDM 3.0.    Which means that users are likely to see some variation until the pace of win 11 driver development settles down.

WDDM 3.0 will be adopted by Windows 10 as well. It's currently on insider's build 21301

Capture30d.png

• Like 1