Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Why technology frustrates me so...

The lack of fingerprints is caused by a skin condition similar to having a very dry callous. I just assumed that all the automobile touchscreens are capacitive (I've never tried to use one so it's just a guess). If the screens were resistive there wouldn't be a problem as those screens will even work with gloves on. I can use a capacitive screen with two fingers on my left hand but that would only help if I was driving one of those cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side 🙂 .

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

3 hours ago, W2DR said:

The lack of fingerprints is caused by a skin condition similar to having a very dry callous. I just assumed that all the automobile touchscreens are capacitive (I've never tried to use one so it's just a guess). If the screens were resistive there wouldn't be a problem as those screens will even work with gloves on. I can use a capacitive screen with two fingers on my left hand but that would only help if I was driving one of those cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side 🙂 .

Oh right, makes sense. Callouses are dead skin so not very electrically conductive, for capacitive screens, which is most screens now. 

17 hours ago, Mallard said:

Have a go in a Citroen 2CV

I still see them here in Argentina (badged as 3CV, I dunno why). Sometimes I get the itch to get one, but since I have already a car (Citroën also, but a 2017 C3) and I live practically in downtown, I can´t justify paying another for parking space.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

14 hours ago, birdguy said:

I'm leasing my Prius.  I've a year to go one it.  When the lease is up I'm going to try and find a lower mileage 7 or 8 year old Camry.  Back to my personal future as far as automobiles go.

I'm seriously thinking of putting Widows 7 on my older computer and installing FS2009 and MSTS Train Simulator on it.

Noel

What I want to know is what’s a rough tough and ready Marine like you doing with a candy a** car  like a Prius? I figured the Birdguy for a Tundra, F150 or a Hummer.

• Like 1

Vic green

2 hours ago, Patco Lch said:

What I want to know is what’s a rough tough and ready Marine like you doing with a candy a** car  like a Prius?

Economics and old age.  Averaging 45 to 50 MPG and getting almost 600 miles on a tank of gasoline and driving only 1200 miles a year means filling up only 3 times a year.

I don't go out driving much anymore.  Long distance driving is out and I gave up four wheeling when I retired.  The best car for wilderness travel I ever owned was a Suzuki Samurai.  It would go anywhere.  I could leave the Broncos and Blazers and even Jeeps behind me when I drove between two trees they were too wide to get through. 

Alas, like flying, four wheeling and muscle cars are things dottering old men have to give up and be satisfied with the memories.

Noel 

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

3 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Economics and old age.  Averaging 45 to 50 MPG and getting almost 600 miles on a tank of gasoline and driving only 1200 miles a year means filling up only 3 times a year.

I don't go out driving much anymore.  Long distance driving is out and I gave up four wheeling when I retired.  The best car for wilderness travel I ever owned was a Suzuki Samurai.  It would go anywhere.  I could leave the Broncos and Blazers and even Jeeps behind me when I drove between two trees they were too wide to get through. 

Alas, like flying, four wheeling and muscle cars are things dottering old men have to give up and be satisfied with the memories.

Noel 

I was just kidding Noel. Society tries to put the measure of a man by what he drives, along with many other superficial things rather then character. Thanks for your service and our freedom.      

• Like 2

Vic green