Sign in to follow this  
Texaspilot48

The future of MSFS 2020

15 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

The past decade we were all crying for a next gen sim.  Something that just doesnt put on more makeup for the next upgrade, but something that actually looks like its from 2020.  We now have it, and the potential is tremendous. But its a toddler that has learned to walk but occasionally stumbles.  All good things need time to mature. I have uninstalled P3D now after a decade of investment, and XP has been sleeping for awhile, and investing in 2 sims is not financially viable.  The complex airliner models will be releasing within the next year and I am pretty sure that this will propel another leap forward in its advancement and attraction to the sim.  Next year , helicopters will be officially supported which already has a high interest from hacking and really great effort heli models.  Look forward to the future of flight simming hobby!

I'm going to find it hard not to buy the Toliss A340 in a couple of weeks, and a couple of long haul destinations to go with it, but I think that might be my last investment in anything other than MSFS

IMHO, MSFS 2020 currently has no rival(s) in the area of entertainment/gaming simulators. This is so for one key reason: it caters both to the "hardcore simmer/gamer" (e.g. WT's in progress G 1000 NXi) and the casual gamer who just wants to kick back on his sofa and a do a little sightseeing with hiw Xbox.

Also, one of MSFS's unique selling propositions is that it runs extremely well even on mediocre hardware. Given the current prices/availability of hardware, this, IMHO, is a huge selling point.

Leaving aside the fact that it just looks great straight out of the box.

• Like 8

Either way you slice it - FPS performance per $ invested, or graphics quality per $ invested - you'll be stunned once you try MSFS versus P3DV5.

Edited by RobF2
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, jcomm said:

To put it simple, as much as I try to uninstall it, I can't 😕

That says it all, coming from the "Uninstaller". 😅

• Like 2

4 hours ago, steve310002 said:

I believe the CPU speed is actually very important for airports and low VFR flying as well as photogrammetry cities. GPU is of course too especially for 2k or 4k resolutions but a fast CPU makes quitr a difference in fps.

I would say gpu is more important than cpu especially for high res. Reason i say this is because i run msfs on a 4.5 year old i7 7700k with a 3080ti and, going by what i read online, my fps is comparable to those with much newer cpu's with similar gpu's. Conversely, try running the game at 4k with a new cpu and a 4/5 year old gpu like a gtx 1080, i think it would be a slideshow. My cpu utilization is never more than 60% whereas my gpu is at 98-100%

Edited by tyke1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RobF2 said:

Either way you slice it - FPS performance per $ invested, or graphics quality per $ invested - you'll be stunned once you try MSFS versus P3DV5.

And if you have an older spare pc you can use that one for P3D with all sliders to the left. 

Then use WidevieW to connect both pc’s. The P3D pc is your server. Connect your hardware and favorite ac ( PMDG/ FsKabs etc) and use your current fast pc as Outside view pc client .

Simple as that….

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

18 hours ago, Texaspilot48 said:

I have been flight-simming for over twenty years, and at one time started taking flying lessons in a Cessna 172N until I ran out of flying lessons money. I ran FSX on my PC for many years, and then switched over to Prepar3D.  I now run P3DV5.2.  I am interested in MSFS 2020, because I liked what I saw in the previews, and I like the fact that the new MSFS has a dedicated support and development team.  It is my opinion that MSFS 2020 has awesome graphics, and a lot of time and energy invested in the aerodynamics of how a simulator should perform, I believe MSFS 2020 has a lot of promise, and very well may be the best flight simulator on the market, after all of the bugs are worked out, one day. How long will that take?  Who knows?  I would love to hear what the community has to say about MSFS 2020 and its future.

heres my take. I went from FSX to X-plane because of sloped runways, G2XPL bring in photo scenery, better flight model, etc...after running both X-plane 10 and 11 MSFS 2020 came out. I bought it, loved the visuals, then uninstalled it. A year later (a few days ago) I put it back on my machine. A LOT of bugs have been worked out and a lot still need to be. But for VFR flying, oh my goodness. 

I take the new JPL C152 because its been modded with AP, better radios, DME measuring, instrument feedback like the VSI not moving automatically which always irked me with most other planes. I have flown IRL and the VSI is not that responsive. Anywho, even the circuit breakers are functional in it. Great little plane and for VFR, cant beat it. Its amazing. how far its come. 

I would definitely recommend it if you are interested in some fun scenery. 

• Like 3

I ran nearly every version of msfs from the early 90s up until 2015 when I felt fsx had nothing more to offer.  As soon as I found out about msfs 2020, I built a new PC to run it and then bought the sim.  There is nothing out there that gets anywhere near it and I have been really happy with it for a year now other than a few bugs that crept into the updates most of which have been or are being fixed.

The next then I would like to see is accurate implementation of thermals ridgelift and mountain wave though I don't think ASOBO are considering this atm.

MSFS is the sim I dreamed we would have one day when I first used fs2. I just didn't think we would take 30 years to get there.

• Like 7

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

4 hours ago, GSalden said:

And if you have an older spare pc you can use that one for P3D with all sliders to the left. 

Then use WidevieW to connect both pc’s. The P3D pc is your server. Connect your hardware and favorite ac ( PMDG/ FsKabs etc) and use your current fast pc as Outside view pc client .

Simple as that….

Sounds a bit like using the PSX 747 sim with MSFS!

I'm trying to visualize that...so you would have a monitor just for P3D with 2D panels? I think you have a full sim so that's not a concern for you 😛

TBH, I just couldn't *quite* get on-board with how the 747 interacts with the runway/taxiway in MSFS when using PSX, not at the cost of PSX anyway

It just looked obvious to me that it was being slewed/pushed around by simconnect

26 minutes ago, EGLD said:

Sounds a bit like using the PSX 747 sim with MSFS!

I'm trying to visualize that...so you would have a monitor just for P3D with 2D panels? I think you have a full sim so that's not a concern for you 😛

TBH, I just couldn't *quite* get on-board with how the 747 interacts with the runway/taxiway in MSFS when using PSX, not at the cost of PSX anyway

It just looked obvious to me that it was being slewed/pushed around by simconnect

Take a look at my vids. WidevieW in use …

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

8 minutes ago, EGLD said:

how do I find them 😁👍

See my signature ….

Or directly :  https://youtube.com/user/fswidesim

• Like 2

8 hours ago, atlflyer said:

I would definitely recommend it if you are interested in some fun scenery. 

.. and a real sense of flight  🙂

Bert

Where did he go?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

'The future of..' speaking of which remember that jumping I d I o t? We'll wait and see, I've had enough so far after circling my apartment house at the release time.

Edited by Dirk98