Sign in to follow this  
captain420

MSFS sometimes randomly hangs while loading at times

This has happened to me a couple of pre-WU6, but I don't think I've seen it in the past month or so. Anyway, as others pointed out, there's clearly an issue and apparently it's going to be fixed in SU6.

However, one thing to keep in mind: Loading a complex add-on aircraft for the first time can take very long, more than 5 minutes in some cases. Happened on the first flight with the CRJ 550 and 700 each  (as cautioned by Aerosoft), and with the FBW A320 it happens every time I install an updated version. As I'm on the development branch, this means it's pretty much every day.

So if this is the reason for long loading times, please be patient 😉 I don't think this is what you're experiencing, but others reading this thread might think of killing the MSFS task when it's actually performing normally.

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

I get it semi regularly too.  After killing the process with task manager a few times I realised I just needed to wait...and wait.....and wait......Eventually it lights up again.  Hope they fix it in SU6 but yes, please be patient because using task manager to kill a half cooked process does come with some risks at the next startup. 

Terry

Edited by Lord Farringdon

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

2 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

Hope they fix it in SU6 but yes, please be patient because using task manager to kill a half cooked process does come with some risks at the next startup. 

+12 (agree)

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I have gotten it in the past after I've updated my graphics driver. A clean graphics driver install fixes it for me. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

8 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

I get it semi regularly too.  After killing the process with task manager a few times I realised I just needed to wait...and wait.....and wait......Eventually it lights up again.  Hope they fix it in SU6 but yes, please be patient because using task manager to kill a half cooked process does come with some risks at the next startup. 

Terry

Have you seen the process come back, after the Task Manager reported the process as "unresponsive"?

Bert

12 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

No clear solution there, that I could see ... so we wait for SU6 and hope!!

Agreed.. there does seem to be a pattern of loading problems at an airport near a "Cityscape" addon..

I have seen this at London City and La Guardia airports, with Orbx cityscapes active.

Starting at an airport a bit further away works, it would appear, but the fact that sometimes a second attempt is successful throws off all troubleshooting scenarios.. You might rename the Community folder and then it works..  Question: Would it have worked without renaming the Community folder?  😉

Bert

Whatever the issue behind it may be. I am really hoping that SU6 will squash this issue. It's really annoying to have to open task manager, kill the unresponsive process, and reload the sim up again as a walk around. That's around 5+ minutes just to get the sim to load up completely.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Have you seen the process come back, after the Task Manager reported the process as "unresponsive"?

No. I cant ever recall seeing 'unresponsive' which in itself would suggest it was still processing. But lack of patience and a feeling that something was still wrong led me to kill the process anyway.  If it's going to CTD it usually does that without too much waiting, so if I am having to wait I accept now that it is still processing and it  will eventually start. 

I did open the task manager one time and no sooner had I done that than the program loaded. I thought maybe opening the task manager may have been a work around to trigger a response but could never replicate it so I guess it was just a coincidental timing thing.  

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

During one of my tests I waited half an hour before killing FlightSimulator.exe with the task manager.  On my system when it hangs and Task Manager says it is "Not Responding", it means it. 

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

Whatever the issue behind it may be. I am really hoping that SU6 will squash this issue. It's really annoying to have to open task manager, kill the unresponsive process, and reload the sim up again as a walk around. That's around 5+ minutes just to get the sim to load up completely.

You could always try the Process Monitor workaround, I swear it works 100% for me and once you get it set up, only takes a couple of seconds.  I am much less frustrated these days.

What worries me just a little is that in reading the release notes for the WU6 Beta, there is no mention of fixing this, at least directly. But that doesn't always mean much.

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

4 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

What worries me just a little is that in reading the release notes for the WU6 Beta, there is no mention of fixing this, at least directly.

Assume you are referring to the upcoming SU6  😉 

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

Assume you are referring to the upcoming SU6  😉 

D'oh!  Yeah, that's what I meant.  Been a long day!  😄

"That's what" - She