Sign in to follow this  
ozzieblr

flightsim.to offline now?

Just tried to donate and got this message :

Info
We are currently not accepting donations, as we are working on a new Membership model to launch soon. Thanks for your patience!

I agree to participate with a a small paying access for the data and a part distributed to creators.

The actual system with a cup of tea don’t work well because you want to try the product first... before... and you come never back to pay your satisfaction… mea culpa!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ms2 said:

I agree to participate with a a small paying access for the data and a part distributed to creators.

The actual system with a cup of tea don’t work well because you want to try the product first... before... and you come never back to pay your satisfaction… mea culpa!

I was wondering about that, but a subscription model could kill the resource in time and I think the advertisement model works well for the site provider.  It would be nice if the model could reward the creators in some way though as I doubt that too many of us are buying them a coffee.

I note that there is now a section where the creators can charge (Premium Content) and I assume that the site owners will take a cut, so that may be one way forward providing that the prices do not become excessive.

Some of the creators are doing some excellent work and they have made the sim much more rewarding for many of us, though many of the things they simulate are too niche to make money from.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I really hope they don't move to a subscription model. Not because I couldn't afford it or it wouldn't be worth it as the site currently exists-- but because that would necessarily change flightsim.to beyond recognition, and not for the better. Why would a creator, working for free, wanting to reach as many people as possible, put their stuff on a paywalled site? Most won't...

If they do go to a pay model, MSFS freeware will scatter, and the community will suffer for it. Obviously, they have to pay their bills, but there has to be a cure that doesn't kill the patient.

James

• Like 7

They have done a quite amazing job in such a short time. They've effectively cornered the market out of nowhere. No one else gets within a minuscule percentage of their reach. 

That's got to be costing but I wouldn't know how to go about making it work for all parties.

At the moment I don't think their payware implementation quite works. It doesn't feel separate enough from the freeware and of course they have an audience raised entirely on getting cool stuff for free. That's going to make them rather hard to please. 

They could look into things like referral links for hardware and work harder on securing exclusives. I'm quite surprised the H145 didn't happen that way. 

I'd be amazed if it ever becomes not free, but if it did then I'd be withdrawing everything. None of the other sites are much cop so I'd probably stick it on my own and enjoy those 1-3 downloads per month.

• Like 3

Now not currently loading for me.  Was lightening fast for me last evening.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Now not currently loading for me.  Was lightening fast for me last evening.

Yep now it's down again.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Down most of the morning here in the UK and it has been up and down (mostly down) for days now.

When you I have only one resource for MSFS freeware add-ons, that's a problem.  Maybe creators will start loading their addons somewhere else such as Avsim.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Just wanted to check for updates and site is down. Thats now 4 days with problems in a row. And yeah a subscription model is not something I will ever consider to enter

• Like 1

Lukas Dalton

It is off and on for me.  Interesting that when it is working the past two days it has been lightening fast.  That is a real departure from the past several months.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

It's up and blitzing fast right now. At least in Europe.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

It's working fine now. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS