Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Simultaneous peripherals being connected

I have a Honeycomb yoke, Honeycomb Bravo quadrant, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro flight stick and a wireless xbox controller and wanted to know if it's okay to have all of these connected to the computer via a USB hub at the same time?

Since I fly the A320 and GA planes with yokes a lot. I would hate to have to constantly unplug my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro just so I can fly with the Honeycomb Yoke, and vice versa. I just hope there are no conflicts if I have all my controls hooked up.

• Like 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Can’t see it being an issue, but if it it is, you can always setup a “dummy” profile and remove all inputs to the sim with your controllers..so for example, say you have your bravo plugged in along with your Logitech stick and the throttle is acting funny, use your dummy profile on your bravo which would  essentially deactivate the throttle on the bravo…That or get yourself a hub that has individual power switches to every USB port, this way you can pick and choose what you want to have working at the touch of a button. 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Thanks for the tips!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

6 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Thanks for the tips!

No problem, it May take a bit of time to make some dummy profiles for all controllers but once done, they are always there to use.

I just got myself a hub that has individual power switches to every port, have yet to try it though, but I hope when powered off it doesn’t unbind my controls bindings.           
Cheers! 

Edited by flyinpilot212121
  • Like 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I have Bravo throttle, CH Products yoke and Logitech pedals and Bodnar button controller with no issues.

3 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I just got myself a hub that has individual power switches to every port, have yet to try it though, but I hope when powered off it doesn’t unbind my controls bindings.          

I also have a brand new powered usb hub with individual on/off switched but have yet to try it. Let me know if it works for you. I'm currently using a powered usb hub without the on/off switches.

• Like 1

I have 6 different peripherals connected + mouse and keyboard, all through a powered USB hub and it works just fine. *knock on wood*

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

2 hours ago, captain420 said:

I have a Honeycomb yoke, Honeycomb Bravo quadrant, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro flight stick and a wireless xbox controller and wanted to know if it's okay to have all of these connected to the computer via a USB hub at the same time?

Since I fly the A320 and GA planes with yokes a lot. I would hate to have to constantly unplug my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro just so I can fly with the Honeycomb Yoke, and vice versa. I just hope there are no conflicts if I have all my controls hooked up.

You would not want both the yoke and flight stick sending aileron and pitch axis commands to the sim at the same time. So I would think you would want to use the switch on the USB hub to disconnect one or the other. Since momentary push buttons and keys don't do anything until pushed, they don't conflict unless pushed at the same time. So a push button on the yoke would not conflict with the 'same' push button on the flight stick.But you need to be careful with 'duplicate' axes since they are always 'on'.

Al

Edit: There would also be potential conflict between the throttle axis on the Honeycomb Bravo and the throttle axis on the flight stick.

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

Somewhat related to the above, be aware that many of the switches on the Honeycomb equipment are NOT momentary push button switches (like on most controllers), but rather the switches or always either in an active OFF or ON state (e.g., like a typical table lamp switch), and so like with axes this can lead to assignment conflicts if you are not careful. For this and other reasons I have a preference for momentary push button switches on controllers. But of course there are pros and cons to every controller design.

Al

Edited by ark

I had to turn off my joystick aileron and pitch axis commands to avoid conflict with my Yoke, but I can still use all the buttons on it.

• Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Thanks again for all the wonderful suggestions and feedback. I really appreciate it. I'm excited as my bravo will be arriving soon so that I will be finally getting a more realistic experience in flight simming. Very excited!

• Like 2

There are still issues with removing the USB devices from the PC and plugging it back in, or in my case using the KVM switch to use mouse/keyboard on two different boxes connected to the same monitor. It will either CTD or freeze for about 3 minutes, so be aware to absolutely not remove devices in flight.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I have a controller for all occasions.

There is a bit of a dance swapping things about, but that’s the price of perfection. You can’t fly a Spitfire with a Yoke. You can’t steer a vehicle with a Joystick.

Not all enabled at the same time obviously. Using a powered USB 3.0 Hub with individual switches. You can also fit extra USB ports via a spare PCI Slot on the Motherboard if required. Windows 10 (or 11) does not have a problem with any of them. I use DIView to calibrate Axis.

I don’t know how far Windows lets you go. But so far, so good. The following are all connected via USB.

·          Power A Xbox (clone) controller

·          Logitech G13

·          WinWing F/A-18 Throttle

·          WinWing F/A-18 Switch Panel

·          WinWing F/A-18 Joystick

·          WinWing Take Off Panel

·          WinWing Combat Ready Panel

·          TPR Rudders

·          SpitSim Spadegrip & Rudder Pedals

·          3 x F16 MFD (as per the F/A-18 DDI Setup)

·          3 x Cubesim screens behind the MFD’s

·          Stream Deck

·          Honeycomb Alpha

·          Honeycomb Bravo

·          Authentikit Spitfire Throttle / Rudder & Aileron Trimmers (this is just 1 x USB connection via the Authentikit Hub)
(I have also printed off the Authentikit Spadegrip but prefer my SpitSim creation for flying Brit Spitfire or Hurricane).

·          word not allowedised Saitek Yoke (used for driving land vehicles in Star Citizen - this has added switches/rotaries via a Bodnar Board).

·          Komodo Simulation HU-1 Cyclic & Collective

·          If I connect my Hawker Hurricane Instrument panel, there is an extra Bodnar 0836X and 0836A

·          2 x Saitek Pro Throttles (side by side). Used for the Wellington, Blenheim, Beaufighter in Cliffs of Dover. Mosquito in DCS.

·          Reverb G2 - via the Mobo USB C

·          Headset/Mic

·          2 x Sabrent DS4-SSD Caddies (4 x SSD per Caddy)

·          1 x iDsonix Single SSD Caddy - For all those SSD’s that don’t have a proper home, and are only used occasionally

16 hours ago, ark said:

You would not want both the yoke and flight stick sending aileron and pitch axis commands to the sim at the same time. So I would think you would want to use the switch on the USB hub to disconnect one or the other. Since momentary push buttons and keys don't do anything until pushed, they don't conflict unless pushed at the same time. So a push button on the yoke would not conflict with the 'same' push button on the flight stick.But you need to be careful with 'duplicate' axes since they are always 'on'.

Al

Edit: There would also be potential conflict between the throttle axis on the Honeycomb Bravo and the throttle axis on the flight stick.

The other issues is that the Extreme 3D Pro is notorious for noisy pots. You wouldn't want noise being sent while using another controller for the same function. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, Tinribs said:

I have a controller for all occasions.

Tinribs!  You are without a doubt a Control Freak! 🤪

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere