Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

SP1 question

>So is there an issue blocking Portland type scenery as Dave>implies?Which Portland?George

There is some sort of issue that prevents the use of custom runway and taxiway textures is all i know. There are numerous airport addons out there that only use standard fsx textures so therefor don't look nearly as good as a portland type addon. I could care less what the technicals are behind it, only that it gets fixed, which is why i asked you. All i know is that the devs say until there is a solution then there will be no custom airport runway textures that can duplicate what FS portland gives us. I for one (speaking strictly for myself of course) see no reason to buy an airport addon that uses fsx standard textures.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

quoting, "prevents flightscenery portland type addons" remember, I am relatively new in the FS community so here I might show my newness. Is there a substantial difference between what UK2000Scenery is delivering and what FlightScenery delivers with Portland?I see FlightScenery is offering an upgrade to FSX for Portland, is there really a problem here? Or is this just a timelag in availability?

So the Bristol and Stanstead airport add-ons use the default textures?Can you get one of the devs you know to comment? It does help me to know what the issue is, otherwise I cannot dig in.

Guest GA Flyer

Phil,My understanding is the problem between Flightscenery or other well done scenery authors and FSX is the new "Round Earth" design in FSX.More can be read about it from Martin at FlyTampa in this link.http://www.flytampa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1862I find it hard to understand that you do not know about this problem the add-on scenery developers are having with the round earth feature.Edit: Please dont think I am saying you're disconnected but I just had a feeling that the developers like Flightscenery and FlyTampa were well in touch with the developement phases of FSX and would of already been in contact with ACES because of this problem the round earth is causing them.

Phil: I can only assume that you are either being facetious or there is a major disconnect as to the nature of this problem, or perhaps it has been solved and all the devs are unaware or are aware and are currently toiling away on their addons with custom textures to be released soon? Maybe the undocumented SDK is your stance on how to fix it? Honestly I don't know. I just want it to be fixed and if you are unaware of any problems in the industry re: this issue then chances are it will not be.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

>So the Bristol and Stanstead airport add-ons use the default>textures?>>Can you get one of the devs you know to comment? It does help>me to know what the issue is, otherwise I cannot dig in.No, they use custom textures.I've no idea about FlightScenery.George

No, that specific info is what I was looking for.The Round Earth fix is in SP1. Or we think we have fixed it for FSX content :-).However, having a round earth instead of a flat one and having a "round earth correction factor" is going to mean 3rd parties are going to have to re-think how they do long runways at airports for FSX. This does mean pre-FSX add-ons will continue to have issues until they update. How much of an issue depends on the particular add-on. We just couldnt get the compat work in for pre-FSX content.I posted about this on my blog back on 2/20, see http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...nt-for-fsx.aspxSo I believe devs do know what to do. Or should be able to deduce what to do based on what I have said. Its just not an easy fix.Finally, when you say "I dont know the technical details" and I ask for more details, please dont jump to any conclusions. I cannot automagically tell what particular issue you could be referencing. And given I have posted on this pareticular issue >1 month ago, I was digging to see if there was a new issue. Clear?

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Phil,I would assume both FlightScenery developpers and FlyTampa developpers are in the FSX beta and could have largely documented the issue at large during the beta process. I would assume also that Hal Bryan is well aware of this issue as well.I'm only assuming of course, anything else would certainly be covered under NDA.Hope this helps!

Guest MauiHawk

Does "later in April" mean the 2nd half of the month, or any day in April that falls after the 1st?

Phil, I have another question to add.I haven't bought FSX yet but will eventually. My question is: How long after the SP1 release will I be able to go to a store and buy FSX with SP1 already loaded? I'd prefer to buy it pre-updated.