Sign in to follow this  
CPEPE

Intolerable Microsoft Licensing 1722 Errors

Guest westes

I have gone four months now without playing FSX. Suddenly, without any obvious cause, FSX started up four months ago and complained about an inability to activate. This was in spite of the fact that I have a legal Windows XP, legal FSX, and I had been playing FSX for at least two months *AFTER SUCCESSFULLY* activating it.I posted on this forum and USENET, and I received links to a special registry change that was supposed to allow a reinstall. That failed to work. Another user at AVSIM posted that the only reliable solution to error 1722 is to completely uinstall and then reinstall FSX.Today I tried to do a complete FSX uninstall followed by a reboot and a complete FSX install from scratch. FSX gets to the very last step of the install and gives me an error 1722.At this point I don't know what to do. I simply have no time to rebuild a computer. And it's absolutely ridiculous that I have to throw away a computer configuration that has to date been stable and rebuild everything from scratch. I have no intentions of buying a dedicated computer just for FSX that I can reinstall every two months. The whole thing is intolerable. Microsoft did not test this licensing code well enough before it released it. It is absolutely unreasonable that I have to throw my whole life away on a computer and reinstall dozens of applications from scratch just because Microsoft's programmers cannot write robust licensing code, and Microsoft's testers could not test that code in enough cases. Microsoft, you should offer us paying users a patch that completely removes the existing disfunctional licensing and provides instead something like the previous release that simply requires the last DVD to be left in the DVD player. I am frustrated out of my mind by these events.

>I have gone four months now without playing FSX. Suddenly,>without any obvious cause, FSX started up four months ago and>complained about an inability to activate. This was in spite>of the fact that I have a legal Windows XP, legal FSX, and I>had been playing FSX for at least two months *AFTER>SUCCESSFULLY* activating it.>>I posted on this forum and USENET, and I received links to a>special registry change that was supposed to allow a>reinstall. That failed to work. Another user at AVSIM>posted that the only reliable solution to error 1722 is to>completely uinstall and then reinstall FSX.>The instructions for correcting that error on the MickeySoftsite are themselves in error. I found out the hard way myself.Here is the command that worked ( plus the bogus info ) > Run the tool in DOS Command Prompt> Click Start, Programs, Accessories then command prompt> ONce you are in DOS, type "cd.." then hit the return key (Enter) Repeat till> you only have the c: prompt in veiw.> Then type "c:MicrosoftKB928080" hit (Return)> then type "resetsldl

Wide-5.jpg

I can understand your frustration... It happened to me as well that i lost the activation after a CTD. There was no way to reactivate. Luckily i had a mirrored image of the drive and was able to restore.

Guest tmilton

>I can understand your frustration... It happened to me as>well that i lost the activation after a CTD. There was no way>to reactivate. Luckily i had a mirrored image of the drive and>was able to restore.>>Similar to what I experienced. Except I had no backup mirrored image and ended up reinstalling my OS and FSX. Lucky you made that backup, that's very smart. I wish I'd done the same, it would have saved me many many hours.

It saved me many times with FS9 as well. If you like to try almost every freeware release and have to tweak your sim to death a big screw up is granted. A program like Acronis True image or AFAIK Norton Ghost will save the day. Highly recommended not only for the sim and a relieve for the Microsoft hotline... :-)Heiko

>It saved me many times with FS9 as well. If you like to try>almost every freeware release and have to tweak your sim to>death a big screw up is granted. A program like Acronis True>image or AFAIK Norton Ghost will save the day. Highly>recommended not only for the sim and a relieve for the>Microsoft hotline... :-)>>HeikoHeiko..But how does it copy the registry entries?Say I have my FSX and FS9 now installed and working.But If copy all the folders to another disk, and later on if I reinstall the OS and then copy my folders back in, its not going to work cause I have lost all the registry entries when reinstalled the OS.So does the true image thingi work? I am worried for the same reason you mention. I have so many paywares and freewares installed. I would hate to do this all over again. Their website has just one page on this product. I wish I could atleast read their PDF Documentation to better undestand how the product works.Thanks again.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

>>I have gone four months now without playing FSX. >Suddenly,>>without any obvious cause, FSX started up four months ago>and>>complained about an inability to activate. This was in>spite>>of the fact that I have a legal Windows XP, legal FSX, and I>>had been playing FSX for at least two months *AFTER>>SUCCESSFULLY* activating it.>>>>I posted on this forum and USENET, and I received links to a>>special registry change that was supposed to allow a>>reinstall. That failed to work. Another user at AVSIM>>posted that the only reliable solution to error 1722 is to>>completely uinstall and then reinstall FSX.>>>>The instructions for correcting that error on the MickeySoft>site are themselves in error. I found out the hard way>myself.>Here is the command that worked ( plus the bogus info ) >>> Run the tool in DOS Command Prompt>> Click Start, Programs, Accessories then command prompt>> ONce you are in DOS, type "cd.." then hit the return key>(Enter) Repeat till>> you only have the c: prompt in veiw.>> Then type "c:MicrosoftKB928080" hit (Return)>> then type "resetsldl

Guest cbuchner1

When that stuff would have happened to me, I'd happily go online and install a little executable called a "nocd" patch - typically a FSX binary with the copy protection bits removed - well knowing that I do have a right to use and play FSX and I can rightfully "fix" it when the copy protection meachanism fails (considering that even an officially provided online knowledgebase article gave false troubleshooting information and was therefore useless). The problem with these nocd downloads is thata) you can't trust em (might be virus or trojan ridden):( they might not be available in your FSX language versionc) future official service packs and updates to FSX might fail when you don't keep a backup of the original files.d) after a service pack of FSX it would take a while until updated nocd patches are available.So take a) - d) as a big fat warning. It is somewhat risky.Legality of this depends largely on local juristiction (mine is Germany) and consumer protection laws. Not in every country, EULAs are legally binding. Sometimes EULAs try to take away consumer rights that are otherwise guaranteed by local law - but an EULA can't be above the law so there you go.Something similar has happened to me with at least one original game which simply wouldn't recognize the genuine CD or DVD as genuine. I didn't feel the slightest bit ashamed to put the nocd patch on top. Worked like a charm.

Those are not links - they are commands to be typed at the command prompt.Here is the link to the KB articlehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/928080You must download and install the tool.Then you must go to the command prompt (DOS) and type the commands exactly as listed. Case/Capitalization apparently does matter.

Have your run this patch / reset tool from Microsoft?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928080Your information from USENET and other forums, especially about a reinstall, and the registry hack are old information and can cause more damage to your system if used.Those hacks, rather than FSX or Microsoft, can cause you to have to reload Windows and all your apps.

Guest westes

>Have your run this patch / reset tool from Microsoft?>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928080>>Your information from USENET and other forums, especially>about a reinstall, and the registry hack are old information>and can cause more damage to your system if used.>>Those hacks, rather than FSX or Microsoft, can cause you to>have to reload Windows and all your apps.The URL above is exactly the one I was referred to before. That's the one I ran. It gives an error and when I reach each of the two components of the /All option one of the two gives that same error. I downloaded MS KB 928080 and ran resetsldl /All. That fails with HRESULT 800700005. I then tried resetsldl /LicenseStore. That succeeded. I then tried resetsdl /TrustedStore. That fails with the same HRESULT as the /All, so one assumes it was the TrustedStore operation that was reported by /All.I guess the TrustedStore reset is required for this fix to do its thing, because I re-run setup for FSX and still get error 1722.What is less clear is should I run this command after deinstalling FSX? Amazing enough, the Knowledgebase doesn't document that very important fact.There are many people who reported in a previous thread I posted on this issue that KB928080 does not work, and one person reports that it can damage licensing for Windows XP on your system.

Which account are you logged onto on your computer when you run the patch command lines?I've run some tests with it and the fix works every time, however I am logged onto the computer with the primary account which was created as the system administrator when Windows was installed. Not the account I use normally to long onto the computer, which is part of the administrators group.

Guest jbrians

80070005 means access denied, which means either the file is actively in use (some FSX process is running, or the installer/uninstaller is still running), or you are not running as administrator. You need admin privileges to reset the trusted store.

Guest tmilton

>>It saved me many times with FS9 as well. If you like to try>>almost every freeware release and have to tweak your sim to>>death a big screw up is granted. A program like Acronis True>>image or AFAIK Norton Ghost will save the day. Highly>>recommended not only for the sim and a relieve for the>>Microsoft hotline... :-)>>>>Heiko>>Heiko..>>But how does it copy the registry entries?>>Say I have my FSX and FS9 now installed and working.>>But If copy all the folders to another disk, and later on if I>reinstall the OS and then copy my folders back in, its not>going to work cause I have lost all the registry entries when>reinstalled the OS.>>So does the true image thingi work? I am worried for the same>reason you mention. I have so many paywares and freewares>installed. I would hate to do this all over again. Their>website has just one page on this product. I wish I could>atleast read their PDF Documentation to better undestand how>the product works.>>Thanks again.>>Manny>>>Manny, what Heiko did is to make an "image" of the drive. That goes beyond simply copying folders from one disk to another. Making an image of a drive basically makes a clone of that drive. Every piece of data is copied, from the boot files, system files, to the registry, to all your programs - everything is copied. When that image is restored to a another drive, or the same drive, it boots up just like the original drive, with all your settings and programs and registry intact, exactly the same as your original drive at the moment in time you made that image.As Heiko said, a good program can make this mirrored image, and can save you many hours, frustration and grief, as I now know and found out the hard way.Thanks Heiko for the tip, which one do you recommend, Ghost or True Image?

Hi, Yes I understand what is the same thing I have going on with my copy of FSX DELUXE I have had some long calls with BOMBAY which seem to really be trying to help but to no avail as after going thru all the attempts to fix the problem I still have the same problem I have restored a copy of winxp run the tool and the program still drops the activation number after running the program......sure hope the fix solves this as of now it's on the shelf!BEEN WAITING FOR A FIX SINCE OCTOBER !!!!SUPER POOR PRODUCT TONY