Sign in to follow this  
JGregory

Xp 12 Update

6 hours ago, Greazer said:

Coming from Windows you can't beat Mint Linux Cinnamon. Higher ranking on Distrowatch. I had no issues at all.

It was less about a good distribution (they all have their pros and cons) and more about which to recommend to beginners.

Im not aware of any other distribution that has free online chat room support run by the company makes the OS distribution and sells machines with it preinstalled. Not even MS ticks that box.

From watching that video they also did a great job of cleaning up the installation to make it go smoothly (separate installer for nvidia users for example)

I'd say Laminar could really learn a lot from System76 for how to do the XP12 release, even go as far as saying they are actually taking a similar approach to similar problems (both XP11 and Linux are best in class once you get them working well, but the barriers to getting them working well are just generally to high for the majority of people who just want to hit the go button and not worry about how to get python working or negotiate the intricate politics of sites like xplane.org or the linux kernel mailing list)

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

43 minutes ago, mSparks said:

It was less about a good distribution (they all have their pros and cons) and more about which to recommend to beginners.

Im not aware of any other distribution that has free online chat room support run by the company makes the OS distribution and sells machines with it preinstalled. Not even MS ticks that box.

From watching that video they also did a great job of cleaning up the installation to make it go smoothly (separate installer for nvidia users for example)

I'd say Laminar could really learn a lot from System76 for how to do the XP12 release, even go as far as saying they are actually taking a similar approach to similar problems (both XP11 and Linux are best in class once you get them working well, but the barriers to getting them working well are just generally to high for the majority of people who just want to hit the go button and not worry about how to get python working or negotiate the intricate politics of sites like xplane.org or the linux kernel mailing list)

No idea about this Pop distro, but mints great advantage is that it makes it really easy for users to install proprietary and restricted stuff like codecs, drivers and such. This is a huge plus for "normal" users without knowledge about package management, dependencies and so on.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

30 minutes ago, rka said:

No idea about this Pop distro, but mints great advantage is that it makes it really easy for users to install proprietary and restricted stuff like codecs, drivers and such. This is a huge plus for "normal" users without knowledge about package management, dependencies and so on.

https://system76.com/

AutoATC Developer

I've been using linux since the Gentoo days when all you had was an iso to boot and the rest was up to you. I always find any linux distribution way too bloated. You can do anything in any distro if you know what you are doing. There is always someone who wrote the how-to to get something working on your specific distro.  Personally, I am bias toward arch linux. It's a most minimalistic approach to a linux distro.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

2 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

I've been using linux since the Gentoo days when all you had was an iso to boot and the rest was up to you. I always find any linux distribution way too bloated. You can do anything in any distro if you know what you are doing. There is always someone who wrote the how-to to get something working on your specific distro.  Personally, I am bias toward arch linux. It's a most minimalistic approach to a linux distro.

I dont miss the days when the only way to find out what was wrong with the linux install was to reinstall windows 98 to use the internet.

I'm not going to miss the days I have to search web forums through nonsensical answers to simple bugs with flight sim stuff.

AutoATC Developer

On 10/22/2021 at 2:00 PM, mSparks said:
On 10/22/2021 at 1:48 PM, mrueedi said:

We talked about the OS not MSFS.

I definitely said windows software

Sorry, I can't post all day long, so forgive my late answer. 

Originally I answered to your following statement:

On 10/18/2021 at 11:53 PM, mSparks said:

even those that do are crippled by the ancient thread scheduler in the windows kernel.

This is not true, see the evidence on your screenshot and in the links I posted! You are spreading clear misinformation, like the appearance of threading APIs in 2018 only (while capable multi threading APIs existed 20 years earlier already). Performance in Windows scales up nicely and pretty much proportionally with added resources. There is nothing wrong with the OS. If you talk about Windows software (or even more games), you may be right, but in that case your zeal hits the software vendor and not Windows as an OS.

1 hour ago, mrueedi said:

This is not true, see the evidence on your screenshot and in the links I posted! You are spreading clear misinformation,

which screenshot are you referring to?

you are spreading clear misinformation, like the appearance of threading APIs in 2018 only.

I said that std:thread was only added in 2018. It is absolutely true that std:thread was only added in 2018, despite having been the standard that everyone was using for 25 years by then and being defined as a standard pretty much a decade earlier.

(while capable multi threading APIs existed 20 years earlier already)

They still don't, and you've not offered any evidence that windows can manage anything like:

You really shouldn't have any problem at least matching that performance if what I say isn't true. It was on an Intel 2700k bought in 2011 and GTX1070 bought around 2015, with as you can see from system monitor 32GB of DDR3 ram.

My latest build:

5HAqFlK.png

And the relevance to XP12 update is XP11 has massive headroom to get better graphics out, however I keep hearing from windows people that its poorly optimised, doesn't run well and doesn't make use of the whole processor.

And my response is "they must be windows problems", because ^^^^^

AutoATC Developer

Jaw dropping that shot above !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, manuthie said:

Hmm - I wonder if that Aircraft will be part of the base sim as well.

Yes it will.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Clouds definitely look great!

• Upvote 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.