Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eagletail

Wings of Power releases B-17 for FSX

Guest Valkyrie321

This is NOT the same B-17 in any sense of the form. This B-17 has nearly double the hours dedicated to this aircraft as the original. It isn't an upgrade either. This was built from the ground up, specifically with FSX in mind.Here are a few features (note, many are NOT listed... you have to find them on your own :D):-Unsurpassed attention to detailCan be flown

Guest Valkyrie321

>because I love RealAir's SpitfireHate to bring this up, but I am an outside source and ABSOLUTELY love Shockwave's work. They aren't paying me to promote them, just make a video here and there... but here it goes:http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/store/...es/image013.gifNow, compare the shockwave spitfire cockpit to the Realair one:http://www.simflight.com/~reviews/com-ras-.../RAS_Spit08.jpgI own both products and I firmly believe hands down that Shockwave has a better looking product. As far as the functionality and dynamics are concerned, I will leave that up to those with a better understanding of aerodynamics.

Shockwave's Spit cockpit is more colorful, while the RealAir gauges look sharper zoomed in. The RealAir gauges are also smoother, but the Shockwave's are getting close. Both planes are frame rate friendly in FS9, and Shockwave's does real well in FSX too. RealAir doesn't have a "re-designed" FSX Spit, yet.The RealAir version for FS9 uses "RealView" which gives a moving 3D look to the cockpit, which I really enjoy. It's different than active camera, in a better way. The Shockwave FS9 Spit doesn't have this effect, yet the FSX version of the Shockwave Spit looks excellent where this 3D effect is automatically built into FSX. The Shockwave's bump mapped wing also looks great in FSX.As to "percieved" flight dynamics, I prefer the RealAir in FS9, but for some reason that I can't put my finger on, the FSX version of of Shockwaves Spit just seems to fly better than the FS9 version, and I like it. It has a good sound package too!The Shockwave Spit is still too touchy on the brakes while taxiing, as it will noseover with blips of the brake and full up elevator, as did their P-51. I've used several different joystick/brakes combo's between the Mustang and this Spit; so if it's "my" brakes only, I don't know...The RealAir Spit is a blast too land with it's excellent power/pitch combo's. I haven't really experimented with the Shockwave enough to make a decision, landing wise.IMO, the Shockwave Spit has the upper hand in detailed looks compared to the B-17; both in cockpit and exterior.L.Adamsonedit: Never flown a real Spit, or B-17, but have about an hour in a P51D Mustang, as passenger.

Guest TPT82

Geese... You add on developers are "killin" me! I swore that when FSX came out, I would not buy add ons. Then Real Air updated the Sia Marchetti, I had to have that. FS Genesis has great Mesh...well the Galaxy Membership is a great deal. I had to get that. The SR71 and T6 Texan has been tempting me. I have resisted....so far. Now, Shockwave releases the B17 for FSX. I have always loved the B17. I have watched Twelve O'clock High and Memphis Bell more times than I care to admit. I surrendered the cash equivelent of about 7.5 hours flying a Cessna 152 to be a passenger in the Yankee Lady B17....Ok Shockwave...I'm digging out my Debit card now. This is my last add on purchase...I mean it. Really. :-lol Nick

>Now, Shockwave releases the B17 for FSX. I have always loved>the B17. I have watched Twelve O'clock High and Memphis Bell>more times than I care to admit. I surrendered the cash>equivelent of about 7.5 hours flying a Cessna 152 to be a>passenger in the Yankee Lady B17....>Our local EAA is offering B-17 rides in June. Would you like to sign up? :D

Guest TPT82

LOL, I would be tempted if it was not so far away. We have a little airshow at KAKR every year. The Yankee Lady flies right over my house. When I hear the dishes ratteling from those four P/W's, I run outside and look up. I see her "low, slow, and dirty" on final. My mind goes back to one of the most exciting days of my life....Nick

I plan to get this soon, but would rather have a full package like we had for FS2004, looks very good though.