Sign in to follow this  
mrueedi

MSFS used to demonstrate real world visual approach

In case you are interested in another use case for MSFS, I have found the following video from the homepage of the Saanen/LSGK airport. They published the video to visualize the complex approach pattern to this Alpine airport:
https://www.gstaad-airport.ch/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/02_low.mp4

There are other videos for rwy08 and both departures too:
Pilots – Gstaad Airport (gstaad-airport.ch)

Imho these videos show the value, MSFS can bring to real pilots to become familiar with challenging approaches.

On a personal note, I would have used the drone camera and for the sake of a more steady flight maybe the autopilot (first flying from the cockpit while recording with Flight Recorder, then replaying and capturing the video).

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Why use external view though? Totally unrealistic and does not represent what the pilot actually sees. 

• Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Why is rougemont such a place to no overfly, but the other town is like, meh, do what you want?

• Like 1

Victor Roos

Good demonstration and would help with many airports where local procedures are not well known by infrequent visitors!

External view is probably chosen for its larger field of view, which results in better situational awareness and helps with general orientation of the area. 

• Like 4

Just now, TuomasV said:

Good demonstration and would help with many airports where local procedures are not well known by infrequent visitors!

External view is probably chosen for its larger field of view, which results in better situational awareness and helps with general orientation of the area. 

Agreed.  I'd love to be able to review my race video from a 3rd party or drone view...  It's amazing sometime the difference between what you "think" your video shows and seeing it from the car behind and having that external view.  

Inside the car I'm thinking "YES, I nailed that Apex"  then watching it from the car behind I realize I was off the curbing by a solid 12 inches and that's when my coach asks me why I didn't want to use that part of the track 😞  LOL  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

43 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Why use external view though? Totally unrealistic and does not represent what the pilot actually sees. 

you couldn't just go with, that's pretty cool, well done, you had to complain about something?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CombatCustard said:

you couldn't just go with, that's pretty cool, well done, you had to complain about something?

I am not complaining, just wondering why to prepare for the real thing one would use external view.

From external view you have a wider angle and you can see where the wings and the landing gear are at any moment. It's cool maybe, but not very useful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

34 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

I like it. Many POI's, reference points, compulsory reporting points is actually hidden for the pilot as you approach the airfield. You have a blind spot over the hood for several NM, and also over the wings if you fly low-winged. To get a broader view as a visiting pilot, I actually prefer external view.

I don't know about you, but I have missed many churches, road intersections just because I didn't see it from my POV in the plane. Luckily charts on board helps mitigate these "misses" and I know where I am. Well most of the time 😂

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Great share thank you, excellent use of the game to visualize a complex approach. 

3 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

One thing we are deprived of staring at a screen is a massive FOV and peripheral vision. The purpose of that vid is to show pilots the layout of the area like landmarks and stuff. If it was internal view it would be constant head panning , zoom outs (silly fisheye) etc. 

Instead the external view in this game will be what we could see internally from a real plane.

• Like 1

I suggest this is actually not very well done.  Drone would have been better, AP use, editing and transitions, view angles, overlays... just everything is very amateurish.  I mean they went through the work of stating to 'disregard the instruments' yet this could have simply been turned off via the menu.

We have seen much much better videos from users on this forum.  I really hope they did not pay actual money to have these done.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

7 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

You are wrong! A lot instrument flying preparation often happens on the ground going over approach procedures and charts. This visual 3D is very useful in real world for any kind of flight planning

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

44 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

I suggest this is actually not very well done.  Drone would have been better, AP use, editing and transitions, view angles, overlays... just everything is very amateurish.  I mean they went through the work of stating to 'disregard the instruments' yet this could have simply been turned off via the menu.

We have seen much much better videos from users on this forum.  I really hope they did not pay actual money to have these done.

Actually I’m sure if someone shared this with the MSFS team, one of their video developers would probably be more than happy to record something for them.

1 hour ago, DylanM said:

Actually I’m sure if someone shared this with the MSFS team, one of their video developers would probably be more than happy to record something for them.

There are a number of members here at Avsim that could do that for them and it would look so much more professional.  And to end one argument, it could be nicely done split-screen showing view from the left seat on one side , including instruments, and the external view on the other...

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere