Sign in to follow this  
Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Some of FSX's aircraft are hard to stop after landing.

Jets and the King Air should use reverse = F1 to cut throttles and hold F2 down until below 60 kts - then brakes.Others you can adjust the brake effect.Aircraft.cfg filebrakes sectiontoe_brakes_scale = 0.68 //Brake scalarIncrease this value (default C172 used as an example).Be very careful on the tail draggers - might flip on their nose.BTW - you can flip a C172 on to it's nose by braking too hard in FS.

Guest Phantoms

I have a question for those using pedals, are the brakes proportional or just on-off like with a joystick button?

At least with the ch pedals the toe brakes are proportional, and after thinking about it, I would assume most pedals would be considering they are either used for flight or as accelerator and braking for racing sims. It makes taxiing that much better as you can slowly apply the breaks instead of constantly tapping the joystick button.Ian.

Guest jshyluk

The brakes are proportional. Any USB controller with analog axes (like pedals) can be used as a brakes controller. I use racing pedals from my ancient Microsoft Sidewinder Racing Wheel, which I think cost me maybe $40. That means, though, I still have to use the twist rudder on my joystick for ruddering, which feels a bit wierd. Toe brakes totally rock. Taxi with taildraggers is so much better. I do cheat and use the brakes as a "friction rudder" to keep me going straight on take-offs and landings. In real life, this would be hard on the wheels, but FSX isn't that real, and I am too cheap to spring for rudder pedals with toe brakes, seeing as most other flight sims don't even feature differential brakes. The JustFlight F-Lite A340 even has cockpit guages showing you how much hydraulic pressure is being applied to each brake as you engage it, which is very cool with the pedals. Jeff ShylukAvsim Product Reviewer

Guest allcott

>Is there a way to increase the braking affect?Yes, land with less fuel or fewer passengers.Allcott

Guest tyrick69

The easiest way is to increase the repeat rate in the keyboard setup. The increased rate is equivalent to pressing and releasing (pumping) the brakes in rapid succession.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

And make sure the auto-thrust is turned off. :) A Continental pilot friend of mine was trying to land the 737-800 in Miami and we couldn't slow down on the runway....#### auto-thrust had the engines at 81% N1. The end of the runway was coming up and we were at 120 knots. We did a touch and go.Just hitting Z to turn off the autopilot didn't disengage the auto-throttle.