Sign in to follow this  
ega

Replace SSD for another

Hi,

I have a 256 GB SSD M.2 (disk E:) dedicated to my MSFS addons (only data, such as aircraft, scenery, etc. - no programs) and I would like to replace it with a larger capacity (1 TB) SSD M.2.

I was thinking to copy all the contents of the current (almost full) 256 GB M.2 to another disk (for example, disk D:), replace the M.2 for the larger capacity one, and then copy back all the data files from disk D: to the new 1 TB M.2 disk (that I presume it will be still disk E:).

Is that a feasible route? Or do I have to use a disk image program as Acronis (that I am not familiar with)?

Thanks!

Edmundo Azevedo

As far as I know you are much better off taking a disk image and loading the new SSD. Not sure whether copy would even work, but others here are more likely to know for sure. 

I've just done exactly that  - upgraded from an old SSD to an M.2 1Tb. They had to use disk image (not me, but the shop who did the upgrade). 

Hope this helps;

Thanks for your input.

Did you have any program in the old disk? I am assuming that with data only (files not executables) just copying might be enough but I am not sure!

Edmundo Azevedo

Macrium Reflect Free does a great job of cloning, especially if you are not cloning a system drive.  If it's just data. Reflect will make short and easy work of it.

6 hours ago, ega said:

Thanks for your input.

Did you have any program in the old disk? I am assuming that with data only (files not executables) just copying might be enough but I am not sure!

Yes it was my Windows C: drive.
Data files should be OK to copy, maybe use FastCopy or similar if you have a lot of data. Don’t ever cut and paste…

I upgraded my C drive Samsung using Samsung`s own free software, used a remote M2 drive enclosure then run the Samsung Data migration Tool worked a treat.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

If you are 100% certain that your dedicated MSFS add ons disk contains only add ons, it'll be simple to move that disk's contents to a new drive.  Though you are not familiar with disk imagining tools for copying a drive, using one will be A LOT quicker time wise than a windows file copy (say about 1 hr vs. 3 hr or more).  I've used Minitool Partition Wizard free for doing this with excellent results (years ago I had a paid version of it).  A super easy operation:  install the new drive, then use the tool to image copy the old drive to the new drive and you're done.  It is a non destructive operation (other than what was on your new drive originally).  If other parts of MSFS are hiding out on your dedicated disk, replacing that dedicated disk using a copied/imaged disk will most likely lead to you a world of hurt (from first hand experience).

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

+1 on the above suggestion from Rod. Have also used Minitool Partition Wizard freeware and it it did a nice job of cloning my entire drive when I invested in a new, larger SSD. I would not do a manual copy as its more time intensive.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!