Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

For msfs, would you rather GPU or CPU

AMD is potentially more bang for buck if you care about that but Intel are more stable with less issues.

Which is why AMD are popular among gamers and regarded as unclean, possessed and plague ridden in Enterprise.  AMD penetration into the enterprise market is very low.

That said -  whilst yes there is a lot of bespoke high end software that still does not work with AMD in the enterprise area, particularly in machine learning and statistics (I spent $50,000 on our most recent server instead of $35000 for an equivalent AMD system for just that reason ) -  if we are talking gaming then AMD these days has a lot less issues than it has had in the past and seems stable, you would be unlucky to have issues in most games.

To be honest though AMD versus Intel is a bit like Ford versus Chevy or Samsung versus iPhone, the differences are exaggerated. Get what is available and suits your budget and ignore the brand hype.

in terms of i9-11900k and i9-10900k the 10900K has more cores but the per core performance of the 11900K on paper is better. that which suggests the 11900K might be the better solution for MSFS.  Look for YouTube reviews someone has probably tested it.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Well if you want something with less performance, get one of the Intels.. 😄 Slow is not so bad.

Slow? Hardly for what I do and thats mostly for gaming. Let's not turn this into an AMD vs Intel thing. I see where you're going with this and I'm not feeding into it.

• Like 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

55 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

AMD is potentially more bang for buck if you care about that but Intel are more stable with less issues.

When it comes to processors, that may have been accurate over a decade ago, but they are incredibly stable, powerful and efficient now (I know of many high perf mission critical systems that run them now). And it's in the Xbox and PS5.

Edited by DylanM

a small hint, i run AMD 5950x on main sim its better then the 10900k equal to the 11900k i was lucky to have test the 11900 before it released not under NDA now, probaly i change to intel soon after start testing ddr5 but cant say anyting yet.

To be honest start with the GPU , the cpu is not that critical very small dif even to amd 3xxx series or intel from 8700k compared to the newest cpus

if you sit on a 8700k or newer cpu is a waste to uppgrade now very late to the table with ddr4 when much faster things is close to be released and the new standard for MSFS

Edited by westman

8 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

4790K @ 4.4GHz - she's on her last leg though...get's pretty toasty in the summer hehe.  I also have 32GB of ram which nice cause I'm always running lots of other apps at the same time.

Almost same setup (I7-4770K@4,4) and i was pretty amazed yesterday with latest SU6. Did some early test around Sydney with ORBX installed in the Piper PA28 Turbo and capped @25HZ was very smooth . 

MSFS is all VFR with this old machine but it do shine . 

I fired up the FBW320 at FT EKCH and it still hold the 25HZ but VRAM was at 11GB (ouch) 4K@scale 70%

Graphics mostly Ultra and terrain LOD 200

Amazing

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

10 hours ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Just curious, I’m looking at a new system and I have a couple in mind, but generally speaking, if you had to choose, would you prefer a better GPU with a lesser cpu or a better cpu with a lesser GPU? 
Thanks

Buy a new PC, it's not worth upgrading yours honestly.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Which is why AMD are popular among gamers and regarded as unclean, possessed and plague ridden in Enterprise.  AMD penetration into the enterprise market is very low.

That said -  whilst yes there is a lot of bespoke high end software that still does not work with AMD in the enterprise area, particularly in machine learning and statistics (I spent $50,000 on our most recent server instead of $35000 for an equivalent AMD system for just that reason ) -  if we are talking gaming then AMD these days has a lot less issues than it has had in the past and seems stable, you would be unlucky to have issues in most games.

To be honest though AMD versus Intel is a bit like Ford versus Chevy or Samsung versus iPhone, the differences are exaggerated. Get what is available and suits your budget and ignore the brand hype.

in terms of i9-11900k and i9-10900k the 10900K has more cores but the per core performance of the 11900K on paper is better. that which suggests the 11900K might be the better solution for MSFS.  Look for YouTube reviews someone has probably tested it.

10900K vs 11900K in FS 2020 :

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/22357949/intel-core-i9-11900k-review

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

13 hours ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Just curious, I’m looking at a new system and I have a couple in mind, but generally speaking, if you had to choose, would you prefer a better GPU with a lesser cpu or a better cpu with a lesser GPU? 
Thanks

Why do you need a new system?

I'm wondering why nobody is mentioning the upcoming Intel Alder Lake processors. The i9-12000 Series processors should arrive by the end of the year or even earlier. On tech sites they got very good pre-release reviews.

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

5 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Why do you need a new system?

I don’t absolutely need one, and not going to rush into getting one, but I’m starting to ponder an upgrade, something with a little more horsepower. 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

3 hours ago, Nemo said:

I'm wondering why nobody is mentioning the upcoming Intel Alder Lake processors. The i9-12000 Series processors should arrive by the end of the year or even earlier. On tech sites they got very good pre-release reviews.

For me, it’s a budget constraint, I won’t be able to get the latest and greatest.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

8 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Buy a new PC, it's not worth upgrading yours honestly.

Thanks, Ya I have no interested in upgrading my current system, If I upgrade it will be a new system altogether dedicated to simming station, I would keep my current one as a “work” computer. 

After returning my pre-built PC (10700Kf, rtx3080) due to various issues, I think I might hold out at this stage for a 12700k and see how they fair. 

The biggest issue is supply and price. 

12 hours ago, westman said:

a small hint, i run AMD 5950x on main sim its better then the 10900k equal to the 11900k i was lucky to have test the 11900 before it released not under NDA now, probaly i change to intel soon after start testing ddr5 but cant say anyting yet.

To be honest start with the GPU , the cpu is not that critical very small dif even to amd 3xxx series or intel from 8700k compared to the newest cpus

if you sit on a 8700k or newer cpu is a waste to uppgrade now very late to the table with ddr4 when much faster things is close to be released and the new standard for MSFS

Nice of you to shout-out for the 8700K, I still run mine and it is still just fine for sims.

Even my 1080ti GPU still works well, it can even handle 4K @ 30.  BUT I will say this to all of you -- for MSFS, I think *GPU* first and foremost.  Why?  Because unless you're running a 7-8-9-10 year old CPU, your cpu will be ok.  But the graphics cards -- that is where we've seen the most benefit. 

Think about it, my 1080ti is from the end of 2017, and it "sort of" handles 4K resolution, but it would be a lot better if it were a 2080ti or a 3080ti or even 3090.  The latter cards eat 4K for breakfast.  4K/Ultra.  With the 1080ti it has the 11GB vram which is really nice, but ideally it has to run a render scale of 80 at 4K and make a few other compromises.  Whereas my 8700K would be just fine with a 3080 and I wouldn't have to make those compromises.  Sure, at that point the CPU would bottleneck, but I'd be assured of running 4K /100 render scale with tremendous frames.

8700K @ 5 ghz or even 4.8 ain't no slouch.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

22 hours ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Thanks

CPU prices are pretty good, GPU prices are through the roof.
A CPU is more cumbersome to upgrade in the future, a GPU swap is super easy. 

On the other hand, we're about to jump to a new generation of CPUs from both AMD and Intel. The new generation will support DDR5 memory and PCIE 5.0. 

I would buy a better CPU right now and wait with the GPU until the prices are more reasonable. 

Edited by Republic3D

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s