Sign in to follow this  
elee

Bad look of clouds

33 minutes ago, DAD said:

no doubt there are some pixles but where I come from - FSX and little XP - this is just a huge step and great improvement, plus when actually flying = moving it is even looking better, those stills don't do that justice. but as said before, very subjective topic. I am happy what I get and see

Same here ... Apart from adding perhaps true cirrus when they overhaul the weather engine this is pretty decent. I'm not saying that everyone's concerns shouldn't  at least be triaged and assessed but there are bigger issues with the weather than simple appearance right now. Let them try and fix that first then we can come back to "color banding and pixellation"

• Like 5

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

6 minutes ago, Maxis said:

then we can come back to "color banding and pixellation"

Won't happen if there's no awareness that issues exist. Hence the link for upvoting. Where's the damage?

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

no harm, just voted

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

15 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

Won't happen if there's no awareness that issues exist. Hence the link for upvoting. Where's the damage?

Ive already seen the color banding comments on the FS forums since SU5... Im sure they are aware. Further .. The last time people created uproars Asobo has a tendency to "misread" and overdo what was requested. (Night lighting) .. At some point stuff is what it is ( this aspect is somewhat subjective after all).. and there are bigger objective items to fix. But that's my opinion. This is the best the sim has looked in a very long time. Let them move to the stuff under the hood..

They can get back to appearance later is all im saying.

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 5

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

After su5 update clouds quality degraded. Even with ultra settings, im seeing pixelation and grainy clouds. Not always, depending on light and cloud location. 

• Upvote 1

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

Its a simulator with vanilla weather system, from my own POV, clouds look awesome, minor artifacts are in no way an immersion killer for me.

• Like 5

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

6 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

Its a simulator with vanilla weather system, from my own POV, clouds look awesome, minor artifacts are in no way an immersion killer for me.

Agreed (from the view of a low and slow flyer). On the official forums there are megathreads analyzing clouds pixel by pixel at ultra resolution, but I doubt a normal pilot discerns these. We may also keep in mind that resources bound by these (imo) minor issues may be drawn away from much more serious problems like daytime runway lighting, cars driving on taxiways, or AI/Live  traffic shortcomings.

This makes me think twice before voting.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

To fully simulate the effects of anthropogenic climate change we need contrail cirrus as wellhttps://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-04068-0

With the current clouds I would say Asobo have gone for too much dynamic range......either washed out, too bright or too dark. No nuances.

Same on the scenery and aircraft. I now don't like flying in midday sun during the summer.

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

From what I have read, it seems to me that nobody has the problem that I have. This image reflects what I mean, and I have been dragging this aspect from U5. 

spacer.png

Eduardo Lee

(MROC)

Even with the ULTRA option for clouds, it remains the same

Edited by elee

Eduardo Lee

(MROC)

19 hours ago, captain420 said:

Why don't you post a screenshot of what you're seeing when you report these things. This can be a very subjective matter but overall the clouds look amazing in SU6. But it could also depend on a lot of things that may affect what you're seeing. Your settings, computer specs, display, etc. Even in the real world, sometimes clouds can look ugly and then certain ones can look pretty. They come in all different size and shapes.

This reminds me of a post a while back on this topic, in which the author said that he had been walking around outside his house and thought, man, those clouds up there sure do look unrealistic! I agree that the clouds in MSFS are amazing. Of course some will disagree, but my suspicion is that there is something wrong with their settings (or else they actually do have a problem with real-world clouds!).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, elee said:

The strangest thing is that all the images of mountains, buildings, etc., look very good. It is only with clouds at average heights at FL280 and above

Edited by elee

Eduardo Lee

(MROC)

25 minutes ago, elee said:

From what I have read, it seems to me that nobody has the problem that I have. This image reflects what I mean, and I have been dragging this aspect from U5. 

spacer.png

Possibilities

You have a monitor setting called "super resolution" enabled and you need to turn it off. Or depending on your graphics card you have the software graphic card equivalent turned on. 

Im not saying you might not have this issue without some resolution enhancement stuff enabled. But its usually not this bad unless it is enabled. Because looking at the image of the aircraft it appears way too sharp.

Edited by Maxis

20 minutes ago, Maxis said:

Possibilities

You have a monitor setting called "super resolution" enabled and you need to turn it off. Or depending on your graphics card you have the software graphic card equivalent turned on. 

Im not saying you might not have this issue without some resolution enhancement stuff enabled. But its usually not this bad unless it is enabled.

Thanks for giving me some light. I can confirm that my Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor does not have any settings similar to Super Resolution. If I can say that I have Freesync Standard enabled (Not Ultimate as this mode produces image flashes).

I can also confirm that in the AMD Radeom Software configuration there is no Super Resolution option either. What I did find is the Image Sharpening = Enable option. I just set it Disable to see if I have any improvements.

Eduardo Lee

(MROC)

1 hour ago, elee said:

Thanks for giving me some light. I can confirm that my Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor does not have any settings similar to Super Resolution. If I can say that I have Freesync Standard enabled (Not Ultimate as this mode produces image flashes).

I can also confirm that in the AMD Radeom Software configuration there is no Super Resolution option either. What I did find is the Image Sharpening = Enable option. I just set it Disable to see if I have any improvements.

I dont know about your samsung .. I dont have one .. but i know with certainty that there is a Radeon setting that gives the exact same effect as super resolution spacer.png

Please refer to the setting "Radeon Image Sharpening" ..

ALSO .. on your monitor . refer to the Samsung Magic Upscale feature.

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/computing/what-is-magic-upscale-on-my-monitor/

Please ensure both of these features are turned off.

Edited by Maxis