Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

An avoidable tragedy...

2 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Hang in there. Miracles happen.

But girls my age have had the dreaded menopause. They don't always come out the other side as nice as they go in. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, W2DR said:

OK. How 'bout you've just had the first sex you've had in 20 years? (Old guys know what I mean).

Getting closer.

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

I'm always surprised watching British police series "Will you step into the interrogation room sir, if you please?". Everything so polite. Probably a cricket bat is enough for protection (in case the family bulldog gets rabies or something). Not like America at all.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

43 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

But, if the alarm system is flashing bright lights and making loud siren noises and waking all the neighbours, are the potential intruders going to go ahead and break in? 

If they understand that 95% of the neighbors won't do anything but call the police they probably will. But if they think your home may be protected by Smith and Wesson they'll probably back off. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

13 minutes ago, martin-w said:

But girls my age have had the dreaded menopause. They don't always come out the other side as nice as they go in. 

But, as you say, not always........🙂

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

5 hours ago, dmwalker said:

I wonder how one becomes an armorer. There must be some sort of test of suitability, knowledge and expertise in order to gain a licence. Then what happens? Is there a training period alongside an experienced armorer or are you on your own? 

In her case, her dad was a career armorer in Hollywood, and she learned the trade from him. Sigh.

12 minutes ago, Fielder said:

I'm always surprised watching British police series "Will you step into the interrogation room sir, if you please?". Everything so polite.

What's really amazing to me is how appointed defense counsel among my British colleagues seem to routinely sit by watching police interrogate their clients. Maybe it's considered rude to make a fuss. Probably having a Bill of Rights helps out a bit over here, since we do have the 4th, 5th and 6th amendments, plus one I can never remember to keep them from making us put up Redcoats in our homes. Never had occasion to use that one.

3 hours ago, dmwalker said:

If I understand your description of the shotgun, the sound would last for one second and would not be heard outside the house.

Some pump-action's are much louder than others. In addition, that's why amplifiers were invented.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

16 hours ago, martin-w said:

Who's fault is it then if a person breaks into your house while you aren't there, gets the gun under your bed in a drawer (rather than a gun safe) and kills someone in your town with it? 

Get a gun safe Noel. They have them now where you can access them super fast with a simple finger scan. 

dont  know  what the rules  are in the us  but here  in oz  if  you happen  to kill  the intruder   your most likely  be  charged  with man slaughter unless  you  can  prove  the intruder  was  about  to kill you(ie the intruder  had  had  a gun  himself) you  can  only  defend  your  self  here  with the  same  force  as  the  intruder

Yep  the  trouble  having  a  gun under the bed  if the intruder  gets  it  first  before  you most likely  be  turned  against you

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

16 hours ago, dmwalker said:

I think that happens because we say "Well at least we're not nearly as bad as in the USA so we don't need to take any action" and the next thing you know, you're well on the way to being as bad.

It's exactly what's happening where I am right now (Germany), but not with guns. Sorry! sorry! don't mention the.....but something to do with an ailment almost certainly originating in Hubei Province.

But anyway about 38k gun deaths in US per year, of which about 24k are suicides, 11k considered homicides, and I'm not sure, but I'm guessing a relatively low number are purely 100% accidental. About 36k motor vehicle deaths in US per year. It's a big country. The other thing is still running at a rate of about half a million per year, although coming down in the US now.

My inclination would be to shoot any intruder who entered my home right away without asking questions, and not use a safe, but I've never owned a gun, and have lived in various parts of the US for many years. I never really felt threatened. I think it should be a local law matter in the US (the Federal government doesn't infringe upon the rights of local and state governments to regulate this). It seems many gun owners in the US are indeed very careful and responsible. But as technology advances (some crazy futuristic Star Wars or Star Trek type phasers or whatever), laws permitting access to certain types of weapons will probably need to be adjusted. An 1880's gun is already quite dangerous as Baldwin proved. I guess movie sets need more FAA/CAA type equivalent inspectors who audit the safety procedures. A royal pain in the donkey, but keep the crews on their toes and make them follow clear procedures where everyone knows exactly what responsibilities they have. I think it's a big difference between should Baldwin have checked the gun, as anyone who handles a gun should do, or was Baldwin required to check the gun according to the procedures in place. 

And finally I guess there's also the factor that nothing ever seems to be 100% safe (guns, planes, cars, diseases, nuclear power stations, whatever...), but we should certainly strive for them to be. 

A simplex lock safe has thousands of combinations, but yet can be opened in 3 seconds by someone who knows the combination. It is very much faster than a dial lock. There are also biometric safes that open by fingerprints.

https://www.amazon.com/V-Line-Locking-Tactical-Storage-Black/dp/B00A1X5PD8/

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I'm pretty sure the husband is getting plenty of attention from lawyers to sue Baldwin 

Will be interesting to see the outcome 

ZORAN

3 hours ago, Antipodeslonghaul said:

But anyway about 38k gun deaths in US per year, of which about 24k are suicides, 11k considered homicides, and I'm not sure, but I'm guessing a relatively low number are purely 100% accidental. About 36k motor vehicle deaths in US per year. It's a big country.

US is a big country. This is why, when comparing nations its best to look at figures per capita. Or commonly per 100.000 of the population.

Countries with the Highest Total Gun Deaths (all causes) in 2019

1. Brazil (49436)
  2. United States (37038)
  3. Venezuela (28515)
  4. Mexico (22116)
  5. India (14710)
  6. Colombia (13169)
  7. Philippines (9267)
  8. Guatemala (5980)

3 hours ago, Antipodeslonghaul said:

My inclination would be to shoot any intruder who entered my home right away without asking questions

Good grief! And what if it was quite an innocent mistake, for example someone with dementia who was confused and entered your property, or a tradesperson who mistook your house for another? Or a young child who was zero threat? Crazy attitude. 

Edited by martin-w

1 hour ago, zmak said:

I'm pretty sure the husband is getting plenty of attention from lawyers to sue Baldwin 

Will be interesting to see the outcome 

Doubt that will happen. So far the police seem satisfied  he wasn't at fault. Seems Baldwin followed the nationally agreed industry safe guards in place. Whether everyone else did is another matter. Something clearly went wrong. 

Haven't commented yet but I will try to keep this simple, I have worked on film sets in the past in the Hair and Makeup department, and on many different film sets, some dysfunctional and some not, the dysfunctional sets I have worked on I have had the time of my life, but on those sets we didn't have anything dangerous like stunts, or weapons or explosives.
This set of RUST from all counts from what I make of it sound dysfunctional, which sounds like a lot of fun too, but the set contained also weapons and ammunition, which has no place in a dysfunctional work place. Few Point here....

#1 Alec Baldwin owns the production company El Dorado Pictures and that production company hired Dave Halls as the most important person on that set in charge of weapons who is responsible for the person hired under his position for handling those weapons, but ultimately he is the one in charge
#2 Alec Baldwin is not responsible for the handling of the weapons but failed as a long time actor on this point right here, and this is VERY IMPORTANT...When the actor takes the gun they are supposed to say 'Permission to dry fire the gun into the ground' and when the AD say 'yes' you are supposed to trigger 6 times towards the ground, after that you can use the gun in a scene or a rehearsal, in this case it was a rehearsal. Obviously this did not happen
#3 when in rehearsal you are supposed to use a rubber gun that is meant for a rehearsal, this didn't happen because Alec Baldwin wanted the legit revolver to practice his DRAW, but didn't use safety protocols when being handed that 'Cold Gun'
#4 at the time of the shooting this next shot it was after lunch and the sun angle changed, and therefore the victim Halyna Hutchins who was director of Photography was changing the angle of the camera for a new 'Blocking' angle working with the director Joel Souza, and at the same time Alec Baldwin was practicing his DRAW, that was when the gun went off
#5 my point on dysfunction in the workplace, I would like for this investigation to look at fatigue, after hours drinking, after hours pot smoking (legal in New Mexico) the fact that they were using those set guns to target shoot after hours, perhaps they loaded real bullets or just blanks to target shoot off hours. Remember Prop Guns are actual real guns that are supposed to have a bullet inhibitor to reduce the size of the barrel to only load a blank, if that is was not present this would make this a GUN and not a prop gun
#6 If I was working on this set I would have been long gone well before this incident, like I said I don't mind a dysfunctional set just as long as nothing dangerous was on that set, the culture in this set was VERY FLAWED 

best way I can compare this to the Flight Community:
Alec Baldwin = Dennis Muilenburg
El Dorado Pictures = Boeing
Dave Halls = Mark Forkner

Rust = 737MAX

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane