Sign in to follow this  
MarcG

Will the Reno DLC go the way of CQC from Elite Dangerous?

3 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

They've improved the flight physics for this, there's even wake turbulence modelled.

... so more calculations in the overhead? Yes, possibly better physics but I think my comments on smoothness and responsiveness still stand.  Thanks for the comments though.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

4 hours ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Current car racing sims barely have enough ability to deliver fluid, precise movement for high speed multiplayer over net game play

What do you base this on? I've done hundreds of online races in iRacing, RaceRoom & RFactor2 over many years and have had very fluid racing against opponents from all over Europe. Ping becomes an issue against Americans or Aussies but for the most part decent racing is still capable even with those further afield. Even going back to rFactor1 in 2005/06 I was having fluid online races.

From what the Devs said in the Q&A and reading the Beta Forums the tight close racing doesn't look like it's going to be an issue, of course each persons own internet connection will play a part.

• Like 4

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Since there isn't an NDA for this test, I'll post a few thoughts:

Download: 4 hours in total, speeds at around 5 to 10% of my 100 Mbit connection.

First attempt to race: CTD.

2nd Attempt: Connected to a lobby with 5 players. Two players apparently disconnected shortly after the race start. I set my graphics to high as usual but dropped the render scale to 50% for an effective 1920x1080, Vsync on at 60 FPS gave a very smooth experience. The flight model seems pretty simplified. I was all over the place in my T6 before I realised that I should mostly leave the rudder alone and just bank and yank. Your throttle seems to be set at 100% all the time no matter what you set it to.. You have to keep the altitude low or risk getting a penalty. I ended up 2nd in the race.

3rd attempt: Just myself and the winner of the 1st race. It was a pretty close race with me in 2nd place most of the time (6  laps) until we collided, You get quickly reset if you collide and just keep flying on. If someone hits you from behind both planes get reset. I managed to just barely win this race.

After this I wanted to try another class of aircraft and as I hit the button to return to the main menu: CTD, so I gave up for the night.

Final thoughts: It's sort of like CQC without the fancy space stations, guns and missiles. At least I was able to get into lobbies. It's probably better described as being like Nascar in a plane. The only "track" layouts seem to be left handed ovals.

Edited by JSmith2112

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

Would it be possible to use any plane in the Reno Races? I would love to use the f14 and take out everyone. 🙂

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Currently available plane classes are unlimited (P51 modified in various forms it seems), Jet, Biplane and T6. There is no free flight in the test but it's been confirmed that you will be able to use the aircraft in the Reno pack in free flight when the add on is released.

In the multiplayer race which is the only activity currently possible, all aircraft in the selected class have their performance equalised.

[Edit] @captain420 I realised what you meant was to bring any of your existing aircraft into the race - that isn't possible in the test version at least.

Edited by JSmith2112
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Air1 said:

you should check out the Q&A  on YOUTUBE from ASOBO. Very interesting and detailed.

Would you have a link, good Sir?

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

16 hours ago, MarcG said:

he latter was, without doubt, a monumental failure at time of release and I don't ever recall it becoming "good" in all my years of playing Elite Dangerous

Wow, another Elite player (that's the only other game I have 1000+ hours with). Yes, I can see the parallels: an hard core sim with a passionate following that tried adding an element of quick arcade competition to get new players, and failed.

However, the main thing that MSFS has over Elite, it's an SDK and a 3rd party Marketplace. I see there are plans to release an SDK for it, even if not at launch. That might keep it fresh for years to come, if it's flexible enough to create any kind of custom races, everywhere in the world.

Edited by virtuali
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MarcG said:

What do you base this on? I've done hundreds of online races in iRacing, RaceRoom & RFactor2 over many years and have had very fluid racing against opponents from all over Europe. Ping becomes an issue against Americans or Aussies but for the most part decent racing is still capable even with those further afield. Even going back to rFactor1 in 2005/06 I was having fluid online races.

From what the Devs said in the Q&A and reading the Beta Forums the tight close racing doesn't look like it's going to be an issue, of course each persons own internet connection will play a part.

I agree with you, car racing sims have it.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

I watched the most recent Q and A on Twitch today and I had no idea there were bi planes and jets racing.

If I read between the lines, I can get 40 planes and an upgraded airport for $60.00 and that includes an entire fleet of bi planes and must be at least a few small jets maybe.  I wouldn't do much if any racing but Id love to have some of those planes.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

15 minutes ago, sightseer said:

If I read between the lines, I can get 40 planes and an upgraded airport for $60.00 and that includes an entire fleet of bi planes and must be at least a few small jets maybe.  I wouldn't do much if any racing but Id love to have some of those planes.

There are 2 packs with differing amounts of aircraft. It's worth reading the link here for more details and watch the video as well: Microsoft Flight Simulator Announces Reno Air Races Release Date - Xbox Wire

• Like 1

I could see it being a yearly race. 

Maybe they could have an individual qualifying race, like the Indianapolis 500, and the top qualifiers get to fly in the race.

1 hour ago, JSmith2112 said:

Since there isn't an NDA for this test, I'll post a few thoughts:

Thanks very much for the insights. Would you be able to speak to whether rankings / stats have been fixed, along with achievements. Could you try try running a few landing challenges and the first few legs of bush trips to see if they are recorded correctly and can be continued?

2 hours ago, JSmith2112 said:

he only "track" layouts seem to be left handed ovals

The courses are true to the actual reno air race courses per class.

spacer.png

Edited by MrNuke

2 minutes ago, DylanM said:

Thanks very much for the insights. Would you be able to speak to whether rankings / stats have been fixed, along with achievements. Could you try try running a few landing challenges and the first few legs of bush trips to see if they are recorded correctly and can be continued?

This beta is a separately installed paired down version of the simulator that is only for Reno. As such there are no changes to the main simulator to test, and probably largely why there isn't an NDA involved in this one.

Edited by MrNuke
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gerwil said:

My guess also that it will be part of their encrypted content. Only in game you can select the plane and the livery and the change the fuel load.

It would almost have to be by necessity, or people will quickly mod their planes to go to warp speed and turn on a dime.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5