Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MarcG

Will the Reno DLC go the way of CQC from Elite Dangerous?

Recommended Posts

The latter was, without doubt, a monumental failure at time of release and I don't ever recall it becoming "good" in all my years of playing Elite Dangerous. A quick scour of the forums over there and it's still not being received very well at all, something the Devs dreamed big of but seemingly it crashed & burned.

So with the Reno Air Races, will they follow CQC and barely take off? Not being familiar with this Sport I know nothing of its possible potential, it has peeked my interest purely from my background of car racing though so it is something I may purchase along the way.

But my fear is will the Races be dead 2 months after release? Will it grow into something special after some additional content & features?

Hard to know now of course, but I hope it works out and doesn't become a waste of Development time.

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 10 64bit, Gigabyte Auros Pro Mobo, i9-9900k CPU, Gigabyte 2070Super GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll probably try it. I have no idea what it might do in the future but I remember the CFS multiplayer and that was more a cheaters playground with 1 shot kills. So if aircraft are tunable I'm out very quickly.


I7-10700K, MSI Z490-A Pro, RTX3060 TI, 32 ram.500 Gig M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 500Gig SSD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will probably end up like CQC but at least there are some nice fast planes to mess around with. The beta starts today and that will probably be the 1st and last time I try the multiplayer aspect of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who knows how popular the Reno races will be, but at least the technology that it adds to the core sim will be with us no matter what happens to it.

  • Like 8

// 5090X // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, espent said:

Who knows how popular the Reno races will be, but at least the technology that it adds to the core sim will be with us no matter what happens to it.

Yes that's a very good thing, from the recent Q&As it seems Asobo have added a lot to the Sim purely based off what they had to do in creating the Reno DLC.

  • Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 10 64bit, Gigabyte Auros Pro Mobo, i9-9900k CPU, Gigabyte 2070Super GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MarcG said:

The latter was, without doubt, a monumental failure at time of release and I don't ever recall it becoming "good" in all my years of playing Elite Dangerous. A quick scour of the forums over there and it's still not being received very well at all, something the Devs dreamed big of but seemingly it crashed & burned.

So with the Reno Air Races, will they follow CQC and barely take off? Not being familiar with this Sport I know nothing of its possible potential, it has peeked my interest purely from my background of car racing though so it is something I may purchase along the way.

But my fear is will the Races be dead 2 months after release? Will it grow into something special after some additional content & features?

Hard to know now of course, but I hope it works out and doesn't become a waste of Development time.

Well the work on the planes and the improvements to MP and flight model is transferrable to core sim at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a paid for add-on, I presume that the content will be locked / encrypted. That means modders will likely have a hard time improving on the flight models. I would get this just for the T-6 alone but I fear the flight models in this package will be basic, designed for online-game orientated air racing and not for "enthusiast simulation" of systems, performance and procedures. Hopefully I am wrong but I will be waiting for post-release reviews before diving in.

Edited by RaptyrOne

GregH

System Spec: Core i7 6700K @ 4,7GHz; GTX980Ti, 32GB DDR4 3200; WD Black NVMe; Samsung EVO850 SSD; CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, TrackIR; 1440p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess also that it will be part of their encrypted content. Only in game you can select the plane and the livery and the change the fuel load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking some will embrace it... most won't.  Back in FSX, when it was part of the Acceleration pack, I think there was a lot more excitement for the planes (and the significant patch to the base sim) than for the races.  I remember messing around with the races for few hours; but quickly lost interest.  With that said, multiplayer capabilities and hardware have come a long way since then... so maybe it will catch on (I still have the box and discs for Acceleration that I picked up at my local Wal-mart).

Edited by MadDog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

Being a paid for add-on, I presume that the content will be locked / encrypted. That means modders will likely have a hard time improving on the flight models. I would get this just for the T-6 alone but I fear the flight models in this package will be basic, designed for online-game orientated air racing and not for "enthusiast simulation" of systems, performance and procedures. Hopefully I am wrong but I will be waiting for post-release reviews before diving in.

A2A helped with some of the planes. So they might not be entirely basic.

You can also use the planes outside of the races.

Edited by Tuskin38

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

A2A helped with some of the planes. So they might not be entirely basic.

You can also use the planes outside of the races.

Yes I'm assuming this to! By the way several default airplanes in MSFS that I also flown IRL have pretty good authentic feel. So I assume people look down on default model mostly due to heaver jets. 

I picked some stuff from a video such as wake turbulence and prop wash effect which is very welcome addition! I'm personally looking forward to that ! 

  • Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My concern is fluidity or movement.  Current car racing sims barely have enough ability to deliver fluid, precise movement for high speed multiplayer over net game play.  And this is within very closed environments.  I fear the 'air races' will not be able to deliver, at least without shutting down quite a few settings.

Try it now with the biplane, max speed at 40', high g turns.  Now think of it at even a high ground speed with 3 other internet players.... 🤨


CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

My concern is fluidity or movement.  Current car racing sims barely have enough ability to deliver fluid, precise movement for high speed multiplayer over net game play.  And this is within very closed environments.  I fear the 'air races' will not be able to deliver, at least without shutting down quite a few settings.

Try it now with the biplane, max speed at 40', high g turns.  Now think of it at even a high ground speed with 3 other internet players.... 🤨

They've improved the flight physics for this, there's even wake turbulence modelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

They've improved the flight physics for this, there's even wake turbulence modelled.

I think / hope they've probably done a good job to get this close-range multiplayer aspect working well (they can probably bug their Forza buddies again). The issue I hope they fix in parallel is the logging of stats, leaderboards, achievements and activities, because that's one aspect that will be make or break for the longevity of the DLC. It is quite broken currently with the logbook, landing challenges and bush trips. 

Edited by DylanM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you should check out the Q&A  on YOUTUBE from ASOBO. Very interesting and detailed.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...